• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

B14 Timing Belt Or Chain

Today I asked my Mechanic to change my Timing belt. But he said my one got Timing Chain not belt.. so no need to replace it

I though timing chain only comes with old cars (80's) So i want to make sure it's really have timing chain or belt..

Car Model B14 Model 1995

if its b14 petrol the it has timming chain.and CD 20 diesel it has belt.

sira

Today I asked my Mechanic to change my Timing belt. But he said my one got Timing Chain not belt.. so no need to replace it

I though timing chain only comes with old cars (80's) So i want to make sure it's really have timing chain or belt..

Car Model B14 Model 1995

As far as I know B14 petrol have timing chains.

Even the new Corollas and Vios have timing chain not the belt.

Still you have to change the chain when it's wearing out especially when you hear chain rattling sound. Still this don't happen normally.

Edited by Bharath

Car Model B14 Model 1995

They don't come with the older cars. They come in the more quality stuff :P

Actually, manufacturers use the belt coz its cheaper, coz its better or more modern. My '97 JN-15 has a chain too.

Car Model B14 Model 1995

It has timing chain. Don’t worry about that.

Timing belt is used not only because of it is cheaper. It emits low sound.

Jaga, belts are quieter than the Chains ! which is one of the reasons for the use of belts.

The cost between the 2 are negligible ! at least when it comes to replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems all Petrol Nissan cars have timing chains ne? anyone got an idea of the lifespan of a chain? mechanics say they need not be changed at all :huh:

It seems all Petrol Nissan cars have timing chains ne? anyone got an idea of the lifespan of a chain? mechanics say they need not be changed at all :huh:

The timing chain adjuster bearing is usually the first thing to go. You will start hearing a tingling sound and thats kind of your cue to inspect and replace what is necessary.

I'm not sure of the manufacturer recommended replacement interval

Hi all,

Timing belts were light weight and quiter and worked well as long as you changed it on time. Recently we see some increase in chain drives on engines of Jap and european cars. They are starting to give trouble at around 40 to 50k miles. Un fortunately they cost a lot more in labour as well as parts cost to replace. Nissans's (primera 1.6 and 1.8) engines are known for stretching chains causing the engine to misfire as well as switching on the engine warning lamp, cost approx £800 to fix. GM Vauxhall 3 and 4 cylinder engines suffer from noisy chains at around 50k miles, cost around £350 to replace, compared to a belt driven system on a average car where the replacement cost of the belt tensioners and guide rollers is around £180 to £300 I would currently prefer the belt over the chain!

The only trouble free chains are the cars that use 1960's style double row chain technology like the Mercedes Benz and BMW etc.

The new viz kids trying to re invent the wheel keeps making it square!

Maithri.

nope not really...most of the main stream motors possibly , but not all Nissans..

I wonder Nissan Silvia, 180Sx and Z has belts, after all sports cars need to be smoother ne?