• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Swap For Land Rover Seris 3

S III upul

I see, there is a kit for the 200TDI as well you know. Of course I'm talking about distributors over here who seems to get the engine from brazil and then bundle it with the rest of the goodies.

The point I'm trying to make is buying a kit is quite expensive, and I do not really see the point if you have to tinker around with welding etc after spending so much money on a kit.

You might as well make the "kit" yourself.

As I know the important bits on the HS kit is the new exhaust header and the oil filter relocation kit as it gets in the way, but even those things can be made locally !

I guess for your jap engine conversion you might need a new radiator (not sure if the nissan radiator will fit inside the enginge bay so you might need to get one custom made which a place like radiator house or D*MO can do) and the exhaust header (which with some difficulty can be fabricated in SL) Not sure how the mounting points will work out, but mounting brackets again can be made in SL and if necessary holes tapped in to the block for the brackets to bolt in to !

This is atleast what I with my limited knowledge thinks would need to happen.

I already started my restoration project 3 months ago. I also had a doubt, about this conversion. But my mechanic is the plus point to me. He is the one who encourage me to do this. Now we are in the final stage.He made the bell housing with help of lath worker. I cant explain that in my knowledge. I supplied him, land rover and nissan bell housings, nissan fly wheel, LR clutch & pressure plate etc.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey i didnt want to take the Hilux thread OT, so thought of asking here...

Can someone shed some light on what happened with the local Land rover assembly plant raid?

But in theory if the chassis is the same shouldnt b a issue right? (but i guess you have to notify the RMV about the body-change... still not that big a crime worth 'raiding', is it?

@ Dev: were you referring to the place near the Arpico turn off? I also remember seeing a showroom sorta place near PizzaHut/Carplan few months ago with a number of nice looking land rovered parked n and outside.

@ Tikiri: there was a showroom at Park Road??????

Edited by Dilesh

Hey i didnt want to take the Hilux thread OT, so thought of asking here...

Can someone shed some light on what happened with the local Land rover assembly plant raid?

But in theory if the chassis is the same shouldnt b a issue right? (but i guess you have to notify the RMV about the body-change... still not that big a crime worth 'raiding', is it?

@ Dev: were you referring to the place near the Arpico turn off? I also remember seeing a showroom sorta place near PizzaHut/Carplan few months ago with a number of nice looking land rovered parked n and outside.

@ Tikiri: there was a showroom at Park Road??????

ok don't know about a "raid" per se :huh:

Wasn't there some legal issue that prevented assembly locally? :unsure:

I was originally questioning as which one of the places in the hyde Park area is may have been or not

The place adjoining Pizza Hut is Colonial Motors :)

They were originally the Agents for Land Rover in Sri Lanka, even during thier 50th Anniversary.

They've been around for over 100 years! They once held the agency for both Fiat & Alfa Romeo along the way

Car Plan is also kinda related - they are owned by the Lankem Group afaik

The shop window showcases some of the restorations & refreshed vehicles they've done.

As far as the Park Rd connection goes, i believe one parties residence is there - u may have noted the L plate Defenders close to Apollo :mellow:

I always wanted to own a Land Rover. Since I was in skool. But after realizing its out of my reach (at least 4 now) I completely gave up da idea and moved on (still trying to forget it as if u r letting go of ya woman lol). But reading thru these kind of threads makes me wanting it more and more..

I always wanted to own a Land Rover. Since I was in skool. But after realizing its out of my reach (at least 4 now) I completely gave up da idea and moved on (still trying to forget it as if u r letting go of ya woman lol). But reading thru these kind of threads makes me wanting it more and more..

well there is also the option of starting off with a classic Series Land Rover - there was a nice looking S II A for sensible money & another S III as well advertised in the papers during the past few weeks

Whats this Upul going on about ?

Jap engines have been put in landrovers- Period.

Was out on a 4x4 expedition during vesak and we had 2 Landrovers - both with Toyota engines.

So its been done and done well.

Suggest Upul try the Landrover mechanics. I for one will never convert my oldie with any jap engine .

kinda makes it NOT a Landrover in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Whats this Upul going on about ?

Jap engines have been put in landrovers- Period.

Was out on a 4x4 expedition during vesak and we had 2 Landrovers - both with Toyota engines.

So its been done and done well.

Suggest Upul try the Landrover mechanics. I for one will never convert my oldie with any jap engine .

kinda makes it NOT a Landrover in my opinion. :rolleyes:

If u want to keep your landy as original as possible its always handy. But if u use your landy as a everyday vehicle and off road fun , my personal experience its not that easy.

I've owned my landrover series 3 since 2000, and try my level best to keep it original as possible. So I've change many things to my ease of use, like power steering, servo assisted

brakes, disc brakes all-around, dual air con Etc. Finally swap my engine and gear box. Now my landrover looks old but young at heart.................. So try this at home.....cheers......!

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7864/dsc000691.jpg

If u want to keep your landy as original as possible its always handy. But if u use your landy as a everyday vehicle and off road fun , my personal experience its not that easy.

I've owned my landrover series 3 since 2000, and try my level best to keep it original as possible. So I've change many things to my ease of use, like power steering, servo assisted

brakes, disc brakes all-around, dual air con Etc. Finally swap my engine and gear box. Now my landrover looks old but young at heart.................. So try this at home.....cheers......!

i advocate originality on Land Rovers at all costs, but i must say yours seems very nice cosmetically - funky colour :)

i advocate originality on Land Rovers at all costs,

Took my old landrover to the 4x4 event yesterday at Waters Edge.

OMG - she goes everywhere !

I was bowled over ! Other than deep water crossings ( Water over bonnet) she did it all and had a super muddy time :rolleyes:

A hardcore Landcruiser pal liked her so much I hardly gor to drive her LOL.

Cheers

i advocate originality on Land Rovers at all costs,

Took my old landrover to the 4x4 event yesterday at Waters Edge.

OMG - she goes everywhere !

I was bowled over ! Other than deep water crossings ( Water over bonnet) she did it all and had a super muddy time :rolleyes:

A hardcore Landcruiser pal liked her so much I hardly gor to drive her LOL.

Cheers

Possibly quite a nice CHAP ? :lol:

Personally speaking, I think you sorta mess up the whole point of having a classic landy when you go down the Koththu route (just my opinion),

The vehicle looks nice enough but I recall you putting up a picture back when you began this thread and it didnt have rear doors at the time.... did you change the body? that would be a real shame because it was a very original vehicle.

Youve mentioned a long list of stuff that you did but it strikes me that what you essentially have now is a mixed grill, bits from here there and everywhere. (just IMO). I guess if you just want the land rover look then this is something but from what I've heard owning a land rover really needs to be the whole experience, with the random issues part of the package! Oh well, to each his own.

To close out, Im assuming that youve spent a fair old chunk of change on the vehicle plus all the associated bits. For that kinda green you could have had a vehicle that has reliability hardwired in at the factory, excellent parts availability and just as much off road cred as any land rover.... Im talking of course of a Toyota Land Cruiser

Edited by Supra_Natural

Personally speaking, I think you sorta mess up the whole point of having a classic landy when you go down the Koththu route (just my opinion),

The vehicle looks nice enough but I recall you putting up a picture back when you began this thread and it didnt have rear doors at the time.... did you change the body? that would be a real shame because it was a very original vehicle.

Youve mentioned a long list of stuff that you did but it strikes me that what you essentially have now is a mixed grill, bits from here there and everywhere. (just IMO). I guess if you just want the land rover look then this is something but from what I've heard owning a land rover really needs to be the whole experience, with the random issues part of the package! Oh well, to each his own.

To close out, Im assuming that youve spent a fair old chunk of change on the vehicle plus all the associated bits. For that kinda green you could have had a vehicle that has reliability hardwired in at the factory, excellent parts availability and just as much off road cred as any land rover.... Im talking of course of a Toyota Land Cruiser

It is an original body. even the doors are made locally. I didn't spent much as u think.........

It is an original body. even the doors are made locally. I didn't spent much as u think.........

Well then i guess you and I must have very different perceptions of what constitutes "a fair chunk of change". I know a few things about the cost of restoring/rebuilding vehicles myself so not completely clueless about the costs involved.

Well well, to each his own as they say... :)