• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Sleepless Nights Are Over !!!!

Velocity

:rolleyes:

After many months of Reading ( Hrs and Hrs on the Web ) and Getting opinions from Drivers and Mechanics and from my close freinds and thanks to a bit of VODKA i finally Decided What to buy. Yeah and After Many Sleepless Nights.

Seriously Autolanka Members Lakshan and Devindz Helped me a Lot.

just like everyone i weigh every bit of spec and info before i decided.

Ok I opted for Many Vehicles

Landrover Defender 110 TD5 Single Cab - Without Canopy - From EURO MOTORS - No Warranty 70000 miles on it. YOM 2003 3.4 MIL

Landcruiser Single Cab 4.2 Straight 6 Without Canopy 50000 KM or 2 YEAR WARRANTY - 0 Miles YOM 2008 JAPAN 4 MIL TOYOTA

Toyota Hilux Single Cab 2.5 Common Rail Turbo 40000 KM or 2 YEAR WARRANTY - YOM 2008 THAILAND 2.8 MIL TOYOTA

Mazda BT 50 Single Cab 2.5 Turbo 40000 KM or 2 YEAR WARRANTY - YOM 2007 THAILAND 2.6 MIL CARMART

Land rover was my First Preference, and was just crazy over it. Power was good. Looks were good, My only problem was reliability and not being able to put in water. I was considering this vehicale for Goods Carrying / Towing and Serious Offroading. Every person whom i spoke to said that its a great vehicale and had to be towed at least 2-3 occasions.

But i still follow up on every single point to check it out.

Landcruiser - Looks did not suit me - But the power and the reliability did. Landcruiser 70 series have been a child hood dream but like the 75 and 78 models more than the new one. specialy with front fenders no more it had lost its macho look. being brand new and having a 2 year warranty made me think of it seriously. Only down side was that it was too expensive for my budget. I drove this and it was just awesome. Rear tends to wag at bends when you power it up.

Next was the Hilux Single Cab. This i would recommend to any one. Its Damn worth it. If you have 28 and want a off roader get it,

only cons were i did not like the look of it., It had a bit of sissie look to it. And Cabin was A +++. Its just like a car or the prado. Drove it power is good but it seems when it comes to tough off roading power lets you down. wished they had the 3.0 D4D on this. Also ground clearance is not enough. Price is super at 28

Next was the BT 50 Single Cab. I called Carmart - they told they will email me quotation which they never did. It may be a Good Vehicale but i guess why bother to buy one if they are not intrested in selling one.

After Doing so much research on the Landy / Cruiser and the Hilux i was unable to sleep for 3 -4 weeks. I then decided to drink VODKA bit at least to get to the final conclusion. It was give or take.

And i met this Chap who ownes almost every brand of jeep. A 2 Montero / 4 Landcruisers and 2 Landrovers.

So i made the Decision.

Also very Important to note that I also took KLMs Word of Advice on This, KLM as a person only speaks less but whatever he utters is pretty carefully thought about and is backed by lots of experience and research.

Dont waste your time or your money with an LR. Buy something Japanese and it'll outperform any over-hyped British bucket on any given day. Believe me bra, I know a guy that had an immaculate 110 County that was always at the agents for repairs, or being towed back to Colombo by me.

On the days that it did run, it was a horrible drive. Yet, ten years after buying it, he got MORE THAN DOUBLE what he paid for it, but that tells you more about the local car market than it does about crappy old Land Rovers. But I'm sure it was still a losing venture for him because parts for it were apparently phenomenally expensive. And he replaced many, many parts on the thing despite the fact that he babyed it.

PS: A stock Nissan Patrol will eat a stock Land Rover alive in the muddy bits.

TAKING DELIVERY OF THE BABY ON WEDNESDAY.

landcruiserey2.jpg

:D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

After many months of Reading ( Hrs and Hrs on the Web ) and Getting opinions from Drivers and Mechanics and from my close freinds and thanks to a bit of VODKA i finally Decided What to buy. Yeah and After Many Sleepless Nights.

Seriously Autolanka Members Lakshan and Devindz Helped me a Lot.

just like everyone i weigh every bit of spec and info before i decided.

Ok I opted for Many Vehicles

Landrover Defender 110 TD5 Single Cab - Without Canopy - From EURO MOTORS - No Warranty 70000 miles on it. YOM 2003 3.4 MIL

Landcruiser Single Cab 4.2 Straight 6 Without Canopy 50000 KM or 2 YEAR WARRANTY - 0 Miles YOM 2008 JAPAN 4 MIL TOYOTA

Toyota Hilux Single Cab 2.5 Common Rail Turbo 40000 KM or 2 YEAR WARRANTY - YOM 2008 THAILAND 2.8 MIL TOYOTA

Mazda BT 50 Single Cab 2.5 Turbo 40000 KM or 2 YEAR WARRANTY - YOM 2007 THAILAND 2.6 MIL CARMART

Land rover was my First Preference, and was just crazy over it. Power was good. Looks were good, My only problem was reliability and not being able to put in water. I was considering this vehicale for Goods Carrying / Towing and Serious Offroading. Every person whom i spoke to said that its a great vehicale and had to be towed at least 2-3 occasions.

But i still follow up on every single point to check it out.

Landcruiser - Looks did not suit me - But the power and the reliability did. Landcruiser 70 series have been a child hood dream but like the 75 and 78 models more than the new one. specialy with front fenders no more it had lost its macho look. being brand new and having a 2 year warranty made me think of it seriously. Only down side was that it was too expensive for my budget. I drove this and it was just awesome. Rear tends to wag at bends when you power it up.

Next was the Hilux Single Cab. This i would recommend to any one. Its Damn worth it. If you have 28 and want a off roader get it,

only cons were i did not like the look of it., It had a bit of sissie look to it. And Cabin was A +++. Its just like a car or the prado. Drove it power is good but it seems when it comes to tough off roading power lets you down. wished they had the 3.0 D4D on this. Also ground clearance is not enough. Price is super at 28

Next was the BT 50 Single Cab. I called Carmart - they told they will email me quotation which they never did. It may be a Good Vehicale but i guess why bother to buy one if they are not intrested in selling one.

After Doing so much research on the Landy / Cruiser and the Hilux i was unable to sleep for 3 -4 weeks. I then decided to drink VODKA bit at least to get to the final conclusion. It was give or take.

And i met this Chap who ownes almost every brand of jeep. A 2 Montero / 4 Landcruisers and 2 Landrovers.

So i made the Decision.

Also very Important to note that I also took KLMs Word of Advice on This, KLM as a person only speaks less but whatever he utters is pretty carefully thought about and is backed by lots of experience and research.

TAKING DELIVERY OF THE BABY ON WEDNESDAY.

landcruiserey2.jpg

:D

Congrats Dims... what mods are you planning on doing to this one???

Congrats Dims... what mods are you planning on doing to this one???

Thanks Bro. Nothing Much

Original Land cruiser Snorkel - WARN 9000 WINCH.

ARB Bull Bar ( I dont like it that much ) can anyone recomend something which looks much better ?

Canopy and Rear Seating for 10 People ( Which means it can carry 12- 13 people without a problem )

Must check how the tires are. May be later some good mud tires.

And just like KLM said a good Dirt Bike.

:)

Edited by Velocity

Thanks Bro. Nothing Much

ARB Bull Bar ( I dont like it that much ) can anyone recomend something which looks much better ?

Canopy and Rear Seating for 10 People ( Which means it can carry 12- 13 people without a problem )

Machang, are you willing to rent it out for Safari's? The canopy and rear seating bit makes it sound very attractive. Make sure to put a metal frame around, like the LRs on the Parks, coz that is apparently a requirement. A removable frame, so you don't spoil the look when you don't need to have it on ;)

Thanks Bro. Nothing Much

Dirtbike idea is super... a 4 stroker would be great for longer ride and more torque but it'll also be heavier to haul in and out when compared to a 2 smoker :) A xr250 with some mods would a great pick :P but admittedly i'm a hue XR fan so there's a huge bias there :lol:

Machang, are you willing to rent it out for Safari's? The canopy and rear seating bit makes it sound very attractive. Make sure to put a metal frame around, like the LRs on the Parks, coz that is apparently a requirement. A removable frame, so you don't spoil the look when you don't need to have it on ;)

bro never knew that the metals frames were a requirement. hate to add weight on to this.

bro never knew that the metals frames were a requirement. hate to add weight on to this.

instead of metal...cant you use aluminum tubing or something which is much lighter?

Or even tubes made out of lightweight composite materials...

Thats what we were told when we asked if we could have people riding in the open deck of the pick-up at Yala. Apparently, its for protection. Like it will even deter an elephant. :rolleyes: But I don't know the full and formal requirement.

Congrats on your buy Dims!..... :)

Congrats! Let me welcome you to the world of Cruiseheads DIMS. It certainly was a wise choice for you to select a very reliable vehicle to do your biddings in. I know of few people who worship thei new Landcruiser 78's. If you need any infomation let me know, I can getthrough to them.

Happy Cruising...Bro.

"Buy something Japanese and it'll outperform any over-hyped British bucket on any given day. Believe me bra,"

"PS: A stock Nissan Patrol will eat a stock Land Rover alive in the muddy bits."

WOOOOOOW!!! i didn’t know that before!!!!!!! :rolleyes: ...... specially I like the old Nissan patrol (1989) ... i personally call it "Alipatiya model" it has a mighty and a majestic look + a roaring engine where no one come closer when you give some gas, specially took tooks and damn TVSs.....ERRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAA!!! im a beast!!!!!....

Sadly the new models do not have that aggressive look.....they may be better in performance wise....:(

cheers.

Archon

Congrats! Let me welcome you to the world of Cruiseheads DIMS. It certainly was a wise choice for you to select a very reliable vehicle to do your biddings in. I know of few people who worship thei new Landcruiser 78's. If you need any infomation let me know, I can getthrough to them.

Happy Cruising...Bro.

Thanks Cruiser Head. Surely will keep in contact. love the 78's my self. have so many posters in my room.

By the way I forgot to mention about the Mitusbishi Triton too from UML

It looks much better than the HILUX but only problem its engine for Singlecab is the 4D56 which i feel is underpowered.

By the way one of freinds have brought a Hilux Single Cab 2x2 and its does 14 per litre on 2.5 D4D which is amazing,

WOOOOOOW!!! i didn’t know that before!!!!!!! :rolleyes: ...... specially I like the old Nissan patrol (1989) ... i personally call it "Alipatiya model" it has a mighty and a majestic look + a roaring engine where no one come closer when you give some gas, specially took tooks and damn TVSs.....ERRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAA!!! im a beast!!!!!....

Sadly the new models do not have that aggressive look.....they may be better in performance wise....:(

cheers.

Archon

Yeah Bro New Off roaders tend to look more like softroaders.

All Time Favorites are the 40 series 70 series and the 80 series which in design still looks mean.

New Nissan Navara and the Pathfinder does look hot though.

Also i have seen very few Merc Gwagons ( UGLY) over here, but they have been rated some of best off roaders of time.

img6121kk1.jpg

I am not sure whose jeep this is. But Two of them are used for Leopard Safaris,

Congrats on your purchase Dims. I think you made a wise choice !

In the end what you need for a great 4x4 experience is RELIABILITY and DURABILITY and thats what the Land cruiser (and Toyota's generally) stands for !

I think thats why even Duncan off roads with a Hilux and not his fancy Touareg !

This particular one in the picture does seem to have regained a bit of the "macho" look the newer ones seem to have lost ! I'm sure you'll have yours looking like this pretty soon !

These two guys helped you and you did not buy an LR :o;)

He he GTAm .......... I guess it helped Velocity figure out "the typical LR owner" :D

I guess Velocity wanted to be a 4X4 enthusiast and NOT a Land Rover enthusiast !

Don't take it seriously Devinda and Lakshan ! he he just a bit of banter ! :)