• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rain Water On Vehicles

sltcdma

Question

9 answers to this question

Due to unavailability of garage, I have to park my car in an open area without any cover (roof). Is it ok to park the vehicle while it is open to direct sunlight & rain water etc.

HELP :unsure:

Well look at it this way -----

What would happen to you if u stood out in the sun & rain day after day ???

Same with a car- over time it’s going to lose the color, maybe corrode etc…

I fully understand your SITU

Y not go for a car cover (Good quality one) and try to wax your car at least once a month with a good wax .

Also do periodic checks to see if there is water gathering in areas such as spare tyre area, the 2 sides at the rear etc.

Good luck

Hi mazdaspeed,

I got a car cover, bought from Arpico. It seems like an ordinary one. What did you mean by a good one?

Machang car covers are good to keep your car out of the shade, but I doubt whether it'll be sufficient to keep out the corrosion.

I was actually thinking of getting one which I can use till I sell my old car, but I was told that the paint will fade, if I keep it under cover for long periods of time as there will be no breathing space for the car under the cover.

Unless you go for one with breathing holes and fans, I remember one of my friends had one which he kept in office.

A "good" car cover is multi-layered with a nice soft inside (to protect the paint from scratching on the fabric), an outer layer that keeps water out and is UV resistant and the whole thing has to be able to breath so it wont bake the car under it and let any condensation evaporate. Also, before you put the cover on, you need to make sure the car is clean and free of anything that'll scratch the paint when the cover is put on and taken off.