• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Guru's, Please Help Me To Buy My First Car

star99

Hi,

I need advice and support from all you car guru's to buy my first car. My budget is 1.5mil. Although I preffer anything around 1.3-1.4... :rolleyes: but if something is really worth for money, i don't mind even spending 1.6mil

My requirements;

1. Fuel Efficiency - I wil travel around 100km per week. Not much, still i don't wanna cryout loud everytime fuel price go high So i need that does something atleast doin around 10km/l in the city.

2. Resale Value after 3 years - I want to sell the car at a higher price. Wanna think of this as an investment acutally <_<

OK - now i know that there are few posts here that talks about somewhat similar things, and i read most of them. Reading all of them i figured out that there are 4 vehicles i can go for,

1. Toyota AE 110

2. Honda Civic EK3

3. Nissan FB 15

4. Nissan N16

The FB15 price seem to hover around 1.5mil and N16 price around 1.6mil.(both manual transmission). I have heard that these do fuel of around 8-10km/l (city)... Is it correct for manual cars, or do they do worse? Is there a good re-sale value for these cars - especeally FB15? Some ppl told me that there was something major wrong with earlier models of FB15, something to do with sensors. Was something really wrong like that, from which year onwards is it rectified?

The AE 110, I can only afford reletively older ones (yom 1997 - 1998) which are 300- or 301- for my budget, right? Will these 300- and 301- cars have a good re-sale value, considering the fact that they are over 10 years old AND they are not english letters?

Honda Civic EK3 price range from 1.3 -1.8. I think V-Tec ones are more expensive. But i seem to be able to afford only 300-, 301- here too. Are these cars fuel efficient (without v-tec) and , would such old ones have a good re-sale value?

Any one???

options are open, you can suggest any other car that you think will fall under this budget

well i think all those cars you've mentioned fall quite nicely for your requirement. dunno much about the n16 so can't comment...

all those cars hold good re-sale value, they decent on fuel with maybe the toyota taking the lead on numbers, parts are readily available since these are quite common...

I would not worry too much over numberplate issue... there are plenty of english plated cars that are much worse than certain 18, 19, 300, 301 plated cars so it all depends on how the machine was looked after...

I drive a AE100 sprinter and i can tell you from my experience during car hunting days that even older toyotas like mine sells pretty fast and sellers rarely budge from their quoted prices cos they know somehow they can get their price if car is in good shape....

on fuel efficacy... like we discuss all the time on AL...this really depends on lotsa other factors and not only the particular model of the car...

if driven with economy in mind, keeping the car in optimal shape for better fuel performance, timing your journeys routes etc etc all play a huge role...

Thanks ripper...

Ok - I am closely looking at FB-15... It's a much newer car (model 2000) unlike an AE110 or a civic EK3 which have 300 or 301 plates and have a MOY around 10 year, and i guess a manual transmission would do around 10km/l...

But i remember there were some issues with initial models. What was the issue, from which YOM is it rectified? Any Idea?

I would consider cars like the Ford Laser and Mazda Familias as well . 1.6 versions that is.

Thanks... But i have heard mazda and ford don't have a good re-sale market like AE 110 or FB 15... I hav also heard that they don't do much fuel, only around 8km/l (ok , there could be other factors that affect fuel efficiency, but model is one important factor too, isn't it :rolleyes: )

Anyone knows about FB15 and the initial problem with it? Or you guys thinnk 301 number AE110 or civic would have a equal or better resale market?

as i may have sound, i am a bit confused here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks... But i have heard mazda and ford don't have a good re-sale market like AE 110 or FB 15... I hav also heard that they don't do much fuel, only around 8km/l (ok , there could be other factors that affect fuel efficiency, but model is one important factor too, isn't it :rolleyes: )

Anyone knows about FB15 and the initial problem with it? Or you guys thinnk 301 number AE110 or civic would have a equal or better resale market?

as i may have sound, i am a bit confused here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well can’t totally agree with you on the 8km PL on Mazda & ford – Maybe so if u go for a 1.6L but the 1.5 should do better-

Look at some pasts treads and they would give you more details

If u’r looking anything over 12Km per L in Colombo – not that realistic – there are different attributes that come in to play when you look at it- even the level of tyre air matters. Since u travel less, there would not be a bid difference I feel

Resell value is not as great but u get a decent amount – it’s just a stupid myth our idiotic SL’s have – I wouldn’t worry too much. They say they have loess value but I had to go hunting for 2 months to find a decent manual Mazda/ford with a reasonable price tag… so where do u draw the line

FB15 is a good car... some say it's not so great with fuel but one of my mates FB15 manual did 10kmpl in Colombo with sensible driving habits...

sensor issue was nothing major, just that they were going dead faster at times. these were fixed i think in later models. and if i'm not wrong the problem can be easily solved just be replacing the sensors which is not that expensive or difficult nowadays...

AE110 supposedly is the leader in terms of fuel efficacy from your list and possibly holds the best resale value due to "toyota" factor

Don't think Mazda's are bad in fuel like that it's mainly the perception people have against them saying they are not reliable or holds upto abuse when compared to likes of toyotas and nissans.

Since we can't change the car market and people's perceptions and also re-sale value seems to be one of the key things for you and not driving performance etc...best bet is to stick to a brand that's seen as more reliable by the masses :)

Well can’t totally agree with you on the 8km PL on Mazda & ford – Maybe so if u go for a 1.6L but the 1.5 should do better-

Look at some pasts treads and they would give you more details

If u’r looking anything over 12Km per L in Colombo – not that realistic – there are different attributes that come in to play when you look at it- even the level of tyre air matters. Since u travel less, there would not be a bid difference I feel

Resell value is not as great but u get a decent amount – it’s just a stupid myth our idiotic SL’s have – I wouldn’t worry too much. They say they have loess value but I had to go hunting for 2 months to find a decent manual Mazda/ford with a reasonable price tag… so where do u draw the line

Ok - now i got a lil more confused. Mazda was never one of those cars i really looked into so far. Now when i looked, there seem to be few BJ5P s for around 1.5mil... They are also new cars (2000 or 2001)...

So what do u all think? Hm, mazda and FB15 also has same price tag... Does mazda hav a better re-sale value than a FB15 or a "301- AE110" ?

Ok - now i got a lil more confused. Mazda was never one of those cars i really looked into so far. Now when i looked, there seem to be few BJ5P s for around 1.5mil... They are also new cars (2000 or 2001)...

So what do u all think? Hm, mazda and FB15 also has same price tag... Does mazda hav a better re-sale value than a FB15 or a "301- AE110" ?

Given me the choice i will go for the Mazda. The common thought in SL is that Mazda isn't a good car, I have argued with many of my friends over this. Actually its good car the ride of the BJ5P is better than the FB15 & 110.

One of my friend's got a triptronic mazda sport back (1.5L) which does about 10km/L.

Edited by dinosh

Ok - I think i am not going to consider Mazda - no offense to mazda fans. But i think i am a bit worried about the re-sell value of mazda and also the prices of spares... I also dropped N16. It's a bit expensive for my budget (1.5 mil).

Thanks Ripper for giving me info on FB15 issue... By the way what sensors do burn faster? Will i have to keep-on replacing these sensors, or is it possible to rectify the cause for these fast burning? What's the worse case when the sensors burnt?

Ok now there are only thee options

1. corolla AE 110 - The only thing i am worried about this is the resalel value of a 301- car... (even with ripper's assurance)

2. civic EK 3 - Same worry as above

3. Nissan FB 15 - many ppl hav complained that this is not a good car. They hav complained this to have many problems and some say that this gives all sorts of cranky noises after a long journey

Any more opinions on the "301-" resale value and "usability and durability" of FB 15

Well, no one can guarantee your resale. Just coz car values keep rising doesn't mean its will continue indefinitely. In three years when you want to sell, if the govt decides to remove a good part of the taxes on imports, your resale value will fall thru the floor. There is no predicting. It also depends on how well you use the car. So you can continue worrying about things you have no control over. As the song goes "Worry, but worry knowing its about as effective as solving an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum"

Thanks Ripper for giving me info on FB15 issue... By the way what sensors do burn faster? Will i have to keep-on replacing these sensors, or is it possible to rectify the cause for these fast burning? What's the worse case when the sensors burnt?

3. Nissan FB 15 - many ppl hav complained that this is not a good car. They hav complained this to have many problems and some say that this gives all sorts of cranky noises after a long journey

Any more opinions on the "301-" resale value and "usability and durability" of FB 15

Star99,

I'm using 2001 FB15 ExSaloon Manual car for last 3.5 years and never had major problems like sensor issues or any Engine or suspension issues so far. It depends on how you treat and maintain your car. if you treat her well, she will give her the best in return. :ninja:

Sensors - As i know, 2000 FB15 had this issue and has been fixed in later version. Ripper > correct me if im wrong.

Hearing all the Cranky noises - I don’t know what you mean by this, I normally drive to Middeniya, (Via Rathnapura, Embilipitiya) once a month and i never ever heard any unusual noises like you said.

Fuel - I do nearly 9-10KM in Colombo and 12-13 in Long Run *(with AC).

Durability - FB 15 is not a Sports Car or something like that, and does not have Boost or anything :rolleyes: . You need to be very gentle and smooth when you drive this type of cars and that will help you to increase the fuel.

Common thing is what ever the vehicle you have, it needs proper maintaining, and changing oils, tune-up etc needs to be done at the right time. No matter how long you use it, if it’s in a good condition, will keep the re-sale value in a good level.

Edited by Rastima

Well, no one can guarantee your resale. Just coz car values keep rising doesn't mean its will continue indefinitely. In three years when you want to sell, if the govt decides to remove a good part of the taxes on imports, your resale value will fall thru the floor. There is no predicting. It also depends on how well you use the car. So you can continue worrying about things you have no control over. As the song goes "Worry, but worry knowing its about as effective as solving an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum"

It is highly unlikely government would cut down taxes... Bt there is high probability that they would cut down the taxes ONLY for MPs or Ministers :angry-smiley-024:

Good quote

Very true in what says - it’s only here in SL where u get car prices going up rather than deprecating like other countries. I totally agree with you in getting the car what you want but expecting much more than what you paid for is absurd- that same reason is Y u are having a hard time finding a decent quality car for a decent amount .

A badly looked after car will never fetch u the price u want even if it’s a Toyota/Nissan.

Try to look for a car that is up to date in records & maintenance with proof – no point in going for a Toyota if it’s been handled like a prostitute (What I mean is having several owners with a exhaustive mileage )

Happy hunting

Edited by mazdaspeed

Thanks Rasitam for your reply. I am gonna chekcout all three models and checkout the best deal out of them all... I'll keep u updated on that.

Ok - I know that the budget wil come at end of octomber or in begining of November. Do you all guys think it's best to buy before it? Or usually the changes in budget, don't hav an effect on the second hand market which i am aiming at?

It is highly unlikely government would cut down taxes... Bt there is high probability that they would cut down the taxes ONLY for MPs or Ministers :angry-smiley-024:

after the initial depreciation star99, all popular vehicles of the same genre appreciate and depreciate in similar ways !

The car drops its value straight after registration and this might continue for a few years or so as the public gets used to a new model and then the market decides its value. After that they react in the same way percentage wise to tax increases, fluctuations in the global market etc.

So if you are not buying brand new or unreg, I hardly see the point of worrying about depreciation and appreciation in value (as a percentage of its original value as its nearly equal)!

So FB15, FB14, AE110, Lancer, EK3 etc etc would react more or less the same ........... except sometimes certain models become popular and in demand for reasons other than government policy, and this affects their value (for examples the Honda EG8 suddenly found itself in demand amongst the post fast and the furious generation due to its ability to be tuned up etc .... these things nobody can predict !, the FB15 initially lost some ground on sensor related issues which are more or less sorted in every car in the road at the moment ! later models didn't have this problem and older cars now all have new sensors !)

sorry guys for posting THRICE... I only pressed "ADD REPLY" once, to my knowledge!!!

I will also look in to mazda familia bj5p deals... what ever the best deal i get, i would go for it. I wil keep u guys updated and continue to seek ur opinions...

what i mean by the budget in above "THREE" posts is the "anual government budget"

Ok - I think i am not going to consider Mazda - no offense to mazda fans. But i think i am a bit worried about the re-sell value of mazda and also the prices of spares... I also dropped N16. It's a bit expensive for my budget (1.5 mil).

Ok now there are only thee options

1. corolla AE 110 - The only thing i am worried about this is the resalel value of a 301- car... (even with ripper's assurance)

2. civic EK 3 - Same worry as above

Try to buy AE110 1500CC manual model. She saves me lot of money.

I didn't say it was likely. I said "IF". And MPs and ministers aren't burdened with Taxes anyway.

Besides, you are focusing on the wrong part of the reply, just like you are focusing on the wrong part of buying a car. Yes, its an investment. Its supposed to pay off by carrying your backside from place to place, not act like a fixed deposit. You want that, try a antique collectors model Ferrari or Porsche or something. Focus on picking something good, reliable, fuel efficient, in good condition, and then keep it that way, and then you'll find resale takes care of itself.

Edited by Pericles

I didn't say it was likely. I said "IF". And MPs and ministers aren't burdened with Taxes anyway.

Besides, you are focusing on the wrong part of the reply, just like you are focusing on the wrong part of buying a car. Yes, its an investment. Its supposed to pay off by carrying your backside from place to place, not act like a fixed deposit. You want that, try a antique collectors model Ferrari or Porsche or something. Focus on picking something good, reliable, fuel efficient, in good condition, and then keep it that way, and then you'll find resale takes care of itself.

no offense machan... I am not only focusing on the re-sale value. that is one of the factors which i focus. I asked u guys about it as i know relatively less about that compared to other factors i look into. I am highly concerned about the fuel and preffer to hav a nice looking car :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100% on your latter part of the answer

Edited by star99

after the initial depreciation star99, all popular vehicles of the same genre appreciate and depreciate in similar ways !

The car drops its value straight after registration and this might continue for a few years or so as the public gets used to a new model and then the market decides its value. After that they react in the same way percentage wise to tax increases, fluctuations in the global market etc.

So if you are not buying brand new or unreg, I hardly see the point of worrying about depreciation and appreciation in value (as a percentage of its original value as its nearly equal)!

So FB15, FB14, AE110, Lancer, EK3 etc etc would react more or less the same ........... except sometimes certain models become popular and in demand for reasons other than government policy, and this affects their value (for examples the Honda EG8 suddenly found itself in demand amongst the post fast and the furious generation due to its ability to be tuned up etc .... these things nobody can predict !, the FB15 initially lost some ground on sensor related issues which are more or less sorted in every car in the road at the moment ! later models didn't have this problem and older cars now all have new sensors !)

Thanks a lot Don. Very informative...

Ok - now, what factors should I look into when buying a car?

1. How do i know it's being subjected to significant corrosion

2. I will look at milage - how to figure out whethr it's genuine

3. How should i figure-out whether the car any troubles

I know i should go with a motor technician. But i don't know any one. Is it possible to hire an expert :rolleyes:

Ok - now, what factors should I look into when buying a car?

1. How do i know it's being subjected to significant corrosion

2. I will look at milage - how to figure out whethr it's genuine

3. How should i figure-out whether the car any troubles

I know i should go with a motor technician. But i don't know any one. Is it possible to hire an expert :rolleyes:

What i mean is when i actaully goto inspect the car