• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oils

prad

Hi there I would appreciate if someone could comment on the various brands of engine oils available in the market. Are there differences in the oils as advertised by the suppliers or are all oils the same? I have been using Mobil for my car (petrol) and should I continue the same oil. Will there be any repercussions if I change to say Caltex ect.. and what about the locals stuff or the Indian oils such as Servo they too have oils from 20w to 50 mentioned. Are they good as they advertise ??? would appreciate some feed back

Hi there I would appreciate if someone could comment on the various brands of engine oils available in the market. Are there differences in the oils as advertised by the suppliers or are all oils the same? I have been using Mobil for my car (petrol) and should I continue the same oil. Will there be any repercussions if I change to say Caltex ect.. and what about the locals stuff or the Indian oils such as Servo they too have oils from 20w to 50 mentioned. Are they good as they advertise ??? would appreciate some feed back

I also was using Mobil XHP. It is good engine oil. But I changed to Toyota when Toyota oil comes because my car is Toyota.

dsc04454fh6.th.jpg

Edited by Nilantha

Hi,

You should use an oil of a thickness in line with manufacturer recommendation. The W figure does not matter too much in SL as our ambient temperature hardly drops below 20C in Colombo.

Castrol, Mobil, BP, Caltex, Shell all make good oils and so does other companies. The important thing however is not to mix different type of oils.

As a matter of practice if synthetic oils should never be mixed with mineral oils. Oils like Super XHP (which incidentally is what I use) are semi synthetic so is a good compromise between the two.

If you are using a purely mineral oil its fairly safe to switch from one brand to the other without issues as long as they are all mineral oils.

If you switch from synthetic oils to mineral, its best to flush your engine before using mineral oil as chemical detergents in synthetic oils could interfere with the function of mineral oils and vice versa for the same reason !.

I think you can switch from mineral to semi synthetic without issues.

I also was using Mobil XHP. It is good engine oil. But I changed to Toyota when Toyota oil comes because my car is Toyota.

dsc04454fh6.th.jpg

Nilantha, any huge price difference between Toyota Engine oil and Mobil? herd from Western automotive forum, that Toyota Re-branded Mobil oil and sell it.. i don't know whether it's true or not. but herd that they (Toyota Lubes) got all the Viscosity Levels that Modern Vehicle requires in here, like Most of the VVT-i Engines require SAE 30 type Oils (that's what the manufacturer recommended). i couldnt find those Viscosity levels with Mobil lubes. :unsure:

Nilantha, any huge price difference between Toyota Engine oil and Mobil? herd from Western automotive forum, that Toyota Re-branded Mobil oil and sell it.. i don't know whether it's true or not. but herd that they (Toyota Lubes) got all the Viscosity Levels that Modern Vehicle requires in here, like Most of the VVT-i Engines require SAE 30 type Oils (that's what the manufacturer recommended). i couldnt find those Viscosity levels with Mobil lubes. :unsure:

bit cheaper than Mobil :blush:

Edited by Nilantha

well toyota doesn't manufacture lubricant...they rebrand it and sell it...

i wont be comfy with a lube that's not proven itself just yet although agents are recommending it

lubes like mobil, castrol etc are proven on motorsports etc and lotsa r&d had gone into developing those... so IMHO it's always gonna be a lube with some real experience on races etc for my motors :)

i wont be comfy with a lube that's not proven itself just yet although agents are recommending it

lubes like mobil, castrol etc are proven on motorsports etc and lotsa r&d had gone into developing those... so IMHO it's always gonna be a lube with some real experience on races etc for my motors :)

i am also sharing your same thoughts,

i dont want agents to recomend something which is branded toyota unless it has been proven for ages and never failed,

dont wanna be a guinea pig.

anyone any info about toyota oils.

my L/C went for its 5000km service today, I am really bitchy about this OIL.

I was planing to put CASTROL but then toyota says i loose my warranty if use anything else,

Hope toyota is the best if its engines.

Wow- now that’s a bit harsh even for Toyota. Can understand that they want to make a buck off their oils but come on…….

As long as the manufacture recommendations are met …. What’s the issue ?

Or am I missing something here – does Toyota have something up it’s sleeve ?

Some one told me that the engine oil is colourless - most other brands have a variation of gold-ish brown – has any 1 had experience with the same ???

Yep! even Some Service Adviser who works at Toyota told me that they are getting Toyota T IV (Tranny Oil) oil from Mobil.. guess it's Toyota Branded Mobil Oil After all :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Ruslan

anyone any info about toyota oils.

my L/C went for its 5000km service today, I am really bitchy about this OIL.

I was planing to put CASTROL but then toyota says i loose my warranty if use anything else,

Hope toyota is the best if its engines.

We have been using Caltex for while & it does the job well. A friend of mine runs his CK2 only with Mobil with no complains.

I have never used synthetic oil to comment on it.

Toyota Lanka recomends Toyota oil for all models for engine & tranny. Afterall the agents will not recomend an oil which is not upto the required standards.

Got My LC after ther service

OILS for the Diesel Costed 5500 bucks for 10 LITRES ( LOL NEVER NEW THAT 10 L would go for 1HZ )

The Filter alone is 4500 which is damn pricey. But cant complain cos thats the recomended filter,

So i guess 5500 bucks is pretty cool and cheap.

the OIL Looks mara thin.

Hi,

I think i asked this previously but did not get a reply...

I bought a Vios a few months ago, and the guy at the car sale said specifically to use only Non synthetic oil for this engine! Any idea why he would say that???

Regards,

Jehan

I think I answered this question before Jehan

It is because the Vios has a problem with sludge deposits caused by the chemical break down of oil while within the engine due to a consistently high operating temperature (possibly down to inefficient cooling of the engine, probably a design flaw)

There is apparently a certain brand of Synthetic oil in SL which is particularly vulnerable to this issue.

Thus the general advice to owners of Viose's to change their oil at half the recommended oil service intervals and use mineral or semi synthetic engine oil. To be honest rather than the oil its the frequency of change which seems to deliver the best results and project your engine. If your engine does encounter problems with sludge build up it will need to be chemically flushed and if this does not work the engine would need to be dismantled and cleaned.

Hi,

I bought a Vios a few months ago, and the guy at the car sale said specifically to use only Non synthetic oil for this engine! Any idea why he would say that???

Regards,

Jehan

thats because bro our cars are 1.5 litre and drive on avarage speeds of 40-80 km max and here and touch around 120 or 140 occasionaly

with a normal driving RPM of around 1700-3000 MAX.

Some people use the car for less that 5 - 8 km day. These type of car does not require SYTHENTIC OILS.

Synthetic Oils are for High REVING HIGH SPEED Engines High Runinng Temperatures.

I also used put synthetic to ma car but from the next service onwards its gona be a Normal Multigrade,

anyone correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by Velocity

Hi,

Regards,

Jehan

this is the reason.

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry77531

Got My LC after ther service

OILS for the Diesel Costed 5500 bucks for 10 LITRES ( LOL NEVER NEW THAT 10 L would go for 1HZ )

The Filter alone is 4500 which is damn pricey. But cant complain cos thats the recomended filter,

So i guess 5500 bucks is pretty cool and cheap.

the OIL Looks mara thin.

Thats quite amount of oil for the 1HZ...!

5500 bucks for 10L of oil with agents seems quite reasonable.

I think I answered this question before Jehan

It is because the Vios has a problem with sludge deposits caused by the chemical break down of oil while within the engine due to a consistently high operating temperature (possibly down to inefficient cooling of the engine, probably a design flaw)

There is apparently a certain brand of Synthetic oil in SL which is particularly vulnerable to this issue.

Thus the general advice to owners of Viose's to change their oil at half the recommended oil service intervals and use mineral or semi synthetic engine oil. To be honest rather than the oil its the frequency of change which seems to deliver the best results and project your engine. If your engine does encounter problems with sludge build up it will need to be chemically flushed and if this does not work the engine would need to be dismantled and cleaned.

Thanks Don, Nilantha, velocity for the info.

I dunno how i missed the answer in the prev thread :action-smiley-060:

• 8 months later...

Well.. bringing back an old thread, I noticed that my oil level has gone down and a little bit thick after 3500ks since the last replacement.. :unsure: Took the car straight to A*W and upon inspection it was discovered that a bit of oil was leaking from the tappet packing and also a little bit of sludge has formed.. :blink: Since I ran for about 5kms with my radiator malfunctioning last month, figured that might be the reason..

But, what the foreman who inspected the car told me was most interesting.. He says that BP which A*W uses causes sludge more than others and asked me to use Lanka Super and change every 2000ks until the sludge problem is mitigated.. I know that Mobil is highly recommended by most of you, but what are the pros and cons of running on Lanka Super.. According to the guys who attended to my engine, they have seen engines that are crystal clean even after 200,000 ks when they are running on Lanka.. :ninja:

Appreciate your views on this.. Is there really a big difference between Mobil and Lanka, except for the price. Honestly so far since yesterday I feel no difference between BP and Lanka..

Well.. bringing back an old thread, I noticed that my oil level has gone down and a little bit thick after 3500ks since the last replacement.. :unsure: Took the car straight to A*W and upon inspection it was discovered that a bit of oil was leaking from the tappet packing and also a little bit of sludge has formed.. :blink: Since I ran for about 5kms with my radiator malfunctioning last month, figured that might be the reason..

But, what the foreman who inspected the car told me was most interesting.. He says that BP which A*W uses causes sludge more than others and asked me to use Lanka Super and change every 2000ks until the sludge problem is mitigated.. I know that Mobil is highly recommended by most of you, but what are the pros and cons of running on Lanka Super.. According to the guys who attended to my engine, they have seen engines that are crystal clean even after 200,000 ks when they are running on Lanka.. :ninja:

Appreciate your views on this.. Is there really a big difference between Mobil and Lanka, except for the price. Honestly so far since yesterday I feel no difference between BP and Lanka..

I don’t know abt the Lanka oil, but if it was me what I would do is get the engine oil flushed with a clean-up, filters changed and use Mobil XHP (if you’re already using semi-Syn). Run it for a 1k – 1.5k and get another oil changed with filters. AFAIK Mobil naturally got sludge dissolving capabilities. I would not really try something new though a foreman suggest. Number of changing oil will depend on your damage already done. Don’t think the issue has gone that for.

Anyway do the oil changes with lesser km’s on the clock than you used to do after a full cycle until you’re fully confident that the culprit is totally surrendered.

I don’t know abt the Lanka oil, but if it was me what I would do is get the engine oil flushed with a clean-up, filters changed and use Mobil XHP (if you’re already using semi-Syn). Run it for a 1k – 1.5k and get another oil changed with filters. AFAIK Mobil naturally got sludge dissolving capabilities. I would not really try something new though a foreman suggest. Number of changing oil will depend on your damage already done. Don’t think the issue has gone that for.

Anyway do the oil changes with lesser km’s on the clock than you used to do after a full cycle until you’re fully confident that the culprit is totally surrendered.

Yep, I too do not trust the Lanka oils that much.. Am planning to switch to Mobil at the next oil change.. I used BP-Visco 3000 earlier and the one put in this time is SAE40. Hope it is OK to switch to semi-synthetic from that..Got the oil filter replaced this time.. So that part is already done..

I was advised not to do a oil flush on the basis that it might clog the outlet from the sump to the engine, as the sump can not be cleaned completely once the sludge drains into it due to the flushing.. Any truth in that?? :unsure: I am sure that there must be ways to completely clean the sump.. Where can I get this done around Colombo..?

hmmm Lanka isnt too bad - well it worked well for me years ago when nursing an old Diesel - DS 50 does wonders for a tired engine :)

can't say how the Petrol ones are though :unsure:

i normally stick with Mobil

i normally stick with Mobil

for old ladies and the diesels I use Lanka, nothing has gone wrong yet, but one exception that's the 406, using Mobil XHP .. reasonable price and semi synth is the reason. Manufacturer recommended oil is now available in SL but 5k per 4 ltr can

for old ladies and the diesels I use Lanka, nothing has gone wrong yet, but one exception that's the 406, using Mobil XHP .. reasonable price and semi synth is the reason. Manufacturer recommended oil is now available in SL but 5k per 4 ltr can

Well.. mine has done only 123,000ks.. So not quite in the "old" category, I presume.. :P So switch to Mobil next time for sure.. Would there be any effect in switching to semi-synth from mineral.??

Also any one has any idea about flushing and whether clogging might happen.. :unsure: