• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Don't Drive Close To Containers

sltcdma

def not here machan.....got this mail some time back.....hate to see it happen here...luckily i hvnt heard of any incidents here

There have been several incidents like that here,not sure about fatalities.

BTW-hey Ripper,mate, what's the ready mix Carrier story?

Edited by HelRazor

The lid of a ready mix carrier has got loose and has come through the wind screen and cut the drivers’ skull of the car behind. I’ve heard he was a doctor and was in the ICU for couple of days before succumbed to death.

The lid of a ready mix carrier has got loose and has come through the wind screen and cut the drivers’ skull of the car behind. I’ve heard he was a doctor and was in the ICU for couple of days before succumbed to death.

oh man...that's a horrible way to go...

these heavy load buggers anyway are pretty lousy in safety issues...

don't think these companies have a safety check thing performed before allowing the vehicles to venture out into public roads...

Those container buggers to drive like they are on a race track behind the wheels of a F1... they wat some of these buggers corner at higher speeds is pure moronic to say the least...

I've seen plenty of toppled over trailer trucks mainly due to excessive speeds and cornering at those speeds...

Maybe they should have an annual racing event for those guys in some track to have their thrills and vent it out rather than trying to do that in public roads :P

oh man...that's a horrible way to go...

these heavy load buggers anyway are pretty lousy in safety issues...

don't think these companies have a safety check thing performed before allowing the vehicles to venture out into public roads...

Those container buggers to drive like they are on a race track behind the wheels of a F1... they wat some of these buggers corner at higher speeds is pure moronic to say the least...

I've seen plenty of toppled over trailer trucks mainly due to excessive speeds and cornering at those speeds...

Maybe they should have an annual racing event for those guys in some track to have their thrills and vent it out rather than trying to do that in public roads :P

Machan I had the same situation few months ago. I was riding behind a lorry loaded with some stuff seems they were moving to a new house. I was about 25ft behind to the lorry and came closer to overtake. Suddenly a metal sheet came out from the lorry towards me. I had nothing to do and just put the maximum power and came closer less than 1ft to the lorry and bent down. That sheet went over me without taking my head out.

I learnt a big lesson from this machan never ride or drive behind a lorry which is carrying stuff without proper lashing.

actually I have sympathy with the truck drivers,these guys have to drive 13 or more gear trucks in sri lanka,with all the idiots cutting across their way forcing them to stop.most of the semi trucks here are manual transmission so they have to go through a grueling routine of shifting gears to get up to normal speed,just think of having to shift your car 10 or more times everytime a three wheeler cuts across your way.,then you'll have some idea what these guys go through.

I never cut across a semi truck as a principle,even if they are a long way off,I stay till they go past,because if you fail to make the turn they can't stop like other cars,and if they do brake hard they run the risk of slinging the container out of control like in the movies.

here's a video of shifting in a 18 speed truck- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-kcFxsyCk

Edited by HelRazor

actually I have sympathy with the truck drivers,these guys have to drive 13 or more gear trucks in sri lanka,with all the idiots cutting across their way forcing them to stop.most of the semi trucks here are manual transmission so they have to go through a grueling routine of shifting gears to get up to normal speed,just think of having to shift your car 10 or more times everytime a three wheeler cuts across your way.,then you'll have some idea what these guys go through.

I never cut across a semi truck as a principle,even if they are a long way off,I stay till they go past,because if you fail to make the turn they can't stop like other cars,and if they do brake hard they run the risk of slinging the container out of control like in the movies.

here's a video of shifting in a 18 speed truck- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-kcFxsyCk

mate...

just my opinion so don't take it the wrong way :)

I aint saying life is easy on SL roads. But it's their job to be shifting 13 gears or more all the time.. Hell i go through lot more crap than that on a daily basis at work... you cant be taking that out on other folks and drive like morons on the road cos life is tough for you..

These days it's tough for all of us in our own unique ways...

IMHO these drivers are not at all disciplined and know enough about the vehicles they are driving... especially when then blister pass you topping 70-80kmh in even narrow roads..

The momentum a heavy truck carries at speed makes it nearly impossible to make a controlled stop...

i doubt these guys know this well enough or even give a damn about it...

And also when was the time a car or a trishaw cut across a truck or any other large vehicle for that matter... These bigger vehicles fellas drive like they own the road cos they know all the smallese have no choice but to get out of the way...

mate...

just my opinion so don't take it the wrong way :)

I aint saying life is easy on SL roads. But it's their job to be shifting 13 gears or more all the time.. Hell i go through lot more crap than that on a daily basis at work... you cant be taking that out on other folks and drive like morons on the road cos life is tough for you..

These days it's tough for all of us in our own unique ways...

IMHO these drivers are not at all disciplined and know enough about the vehicles they are driving... especially when then blister pass you topping 70-80kmh in even narrow roads..

The momentum a heavy truck carries at speed makes it nearly impossible to make a controlled stop...

i doubt these guys know this well enough or even give a damn about it...

And also when was the time a car or a trishaw cut across a truck or any other large vehicle for that matter... These bigger vehicles fellas drive like they own the road cos they know all the smallese have no choice but to get out of the way...

mate I agree with you mostly,but i've seen people entering the road when they can clearly see a semi coming.that's what i mean by "cutting across".

i have to drive a isuzu juston and a 350 tipper sometimes in my field of work(construction/hardware shop),and i can tell you it's pure hell dealing with the incosiderate buggers who cut across me,the process we have to go through to get the momentum going again.

but these problems are not just limited to the road,the whole "me first" mentality needs to change :) :) :)