• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To All The Corolla 121 Owners

Corolla121

I just cleaned my air flow sensor and air temparature sensor using Wurth Contact cleaner SW. After fixing it I ran the engine for 5 mins. Will share the fuel consumption details tomorrow.

Buddy no offense... But I think you will mess up your car by trying to squeeze out too much kmpls... 121s are better left to the Agent to muck about with. They are built to last but if you tinker with them too much without knowing what you are doing, you will end up with a hefty repair bill. There is no magic formula to increase your fuel economy. Just sensible driving, keeping your air filter clean, tires at their recommended pressure and regular servicing and maintenance (preferably by someone who knows what they are doing) will give you better fuel economy than any thing else. The 121 is basically a pump and go car... use it as such.

Buddy no offense... But I think you will mess up your car by trying to squeeze out too much kmpls... 121s are better left to the Agent to muck about with. They are built to last but if you tinker with them too much without knowing what you are doing, you will end up with a hefty repair bill. There is no magic formula to increase your fuel economy. Just sensible driving, keeping your air filter clean, tires at their recommended pressure and regular servicing and maintenance (preferably by someone who knows what they are doing) will give you better fuel economy than any thing else. The 121 is basically a pump and go car... use it as such.

Totally agree with you VVTi ... regarding the 121. Servicing on time, regular changes to all the required, and sensible driving ensures good fuel economy.

Agreed, I've seen my buddies who tried to D-I-Y, screwed their MAF and Temp Sensor.. so even if you do those from yourselves, just be careful, cos if something goes wrong with those sensors, it's costly to replace them. specially the MAF. nothings wrong with cleaning Throttle Body and MAF but Extremely careful when you do those.

i'm with VVTi too. it's one thing ot be enthusiastic but its another thing for asking for trouble. i think the sinhala slang is 'illang kama'

I just cleaned my air flow sensor and air temparature sensor using Wurth Contact cleaner SW. After fixing it I ran the engine for 5 mins. Will share the fuel consumption details tomorrow.

on top of that do let us know if you bust some thing in your car too. so like minded individuals can learn a lesson

Charging Tax for a Safety features in a Car, they must be thinking, to have a Airbag or ABS Brakes is a Luxury thing in an Accident!! :action-smiley-060:

well the treasury is not too sympathetic towards the motor industry as they are towards the apparel. saw in a news article that G.L. has said there no need to panic about loosing GSP+ concession (which they will) as the government will grant a 150 mil (can't remember if its USD or LKR) relief package. wonder how they going to raise this money? good thing the budget is just around the corner (aren't they clever than we think?) .

it baffles me that bright minds like G.L., governor of CB, ######## Gunawardana etc act like buffoons when they are part of the ruling party?

well the treasury is not too sympathetic towards the motor industry as they are towards the apparel. saw in a news article that G.L. has said there no need to panic about loosing GSP+ concession (which they will) as the government will grant a 150 mil (can't remember if its USD or LKR) relief package. wonder how they going to raise this money? good thing the budget is just around the corner (aren't they clever than we think?) .

it baffles me that bright minds like G.L., governor of CB, ######## Gunawardana etc act like buffoons when they are part of the ruling party?

Well xXx, when you are part of the government aren't you driven by greed (and influence from the big man) rather than your head ?

wonder how they going to raise this money? good thing the budget is just around the corner (aren't they clever than we think?) .

Obviously by selling petrol at 170 per liter while the barrel prices have plummeted to $63. I wonder what our horn tooting opposition leader is doing. Other than sleeping in parliment, which was what he seemed to be doing on the news while someone next to him was making an animated speech.

Guys working in the apperal industry we are undergoiong severe pressure already! Loss of the GSP+ will make us loose even more on our competitiveness. We can't expect much from the US either. Hope that 150mil is in USD coz there is nothing that you can do to sustain a industry with 150mil Rupees.

Its going to be hard battle next year for survival....

I wonder what our horn tooting opposition leader is doing. Other than sleeping in parliment, which was what he seemed to be doing on the news while someone next to him was making an animated speech.

well i'm sure the guy was merely thinking about his own speech to be given to the parliament later that day which i do believe is a habit lot of the MP's lack. they simply run their mouth with out thinking twice. something unfortunate the military echelons have picked up as well lately.

if you look at the facts, he's a brilliant mind someone who can truly dig us out of this bottomless pit we are in right now. but unfortunately his style of politics does not suite this country. an excellent example is guy has no corruption chargers against him (which is quite common among the politicians in this part of the world) other than the once fabricated by his rivals. in an era where the head of the state came to power just after a very public charity money scam that ran in to millions of dollars (for the people who have already forgotten i'm on about the infamous 'helping hambanthota' incident) for the opposition leader to have such a clean bill is a great feat itself. i think that incident was a rude awakening of what to be expected in the future but still some decided to turn a blind eye.

Guys working in the apperal industry we are undergoiong severe pressure already! Loss of the GSP+ will make us loose even more on our competitiveness. We can't expect much from the US either. Hope that 150mil is in USD coz there is nothing that you can do to sustain a industry with 150mil Rupees.

Its going to be hard battle next year for survival....

according to GL monetary value for the GSP+ is only 150 mil (must be USD) hence the relief package of that amount. the truly shocking thing is how lightly these so called leader tackle this matter that can surely cripple one of the biggest income revenue streams to this already cash strapped economy. i wonder if it the same person who forecast that Mihini can be profitable within 3-6 months that crunched the numbers to come up with this figure.

on a more slightly different note word in the streets is that the duty free permit is to be re-introduced to government servants in the hope of poaching handful of extra votes for the upcoming elections. anyone heard about this?

according to GL monetary value for the GSP+ is only 150 mil (must be USD) hence the relief package of that amount. the truly shocking thing is how lightly these so called leader tackle this matter that can surely cripple one of the biggest income revenue streams to this already cash strapped economy. i wonder if it the same person who forecast that Mihini can be profitable within 3-6 months that crunched the numbers to come up with this figure.

on a more slightly different note word in the streets is that the duty free permit is to be re-introduced to government servants in the hope of poaching handful of extra votes for the upcoming elections. anyone heard about this?

Appreciate if you can share the link if available on the artical? Wonder on what basis that they have calculated that figure. They are not much bothered about this coz none of them will feel the direct impact, neither they will loose any of their benifits/previlages.

It's possible on the issuing of permits. These fellows will do whatever possible to stay in power....

Appreciate if you can share the link if available on the artical? Wonder on what basis that they have calculated that figure. They are not much bothered about this coz none of them will feel the direct impact, neither they will loose any of their benifits/previlages.

It's possible on the issuing of permits. These fellows will do whatever possible to stay in power....

this was all over the news yesterday. unfortunately after a quick Google search i could only find this

http://www.news.lk/index.php?option=com_co...2&Itemid=44

check out the last paragraph. its shocking how casual and lightly he has taken this matter as if we have a budget surplus. this is similar to the comment made by the petroleum minister about hedging our fuel bill. the idiot said hedging is like a lottery. its like saying insurance is a lottery. who do they think us sri lankans are? a bunch of morons like them?

if you look at the facts, he's a brilliant mind someone who can truly dig us out of this bottomless pit we are in right now. but unfortunately his style of politics does not suite this country. an excellent example is guy has no corruption chargers against him (which is quite common among the politicians in this part of the world) other than the once fabricated by his rivals. in an era where the head of the state came to power just after a very public charity money scam that ran in to millions of dollars (for the people who have already forgotten i'm on about the infamous 'helping hambanthota' incident) for the opposition leader to have such a clean bill is a great feat itself. i think that incident was a rude awakening of what to be expected in the future but still some decided to turn a blind eye.

agree with you on the clean bill. but can you give me some examples on the "brilliant mind". everyone talks of his brilliant mind, but so far i really cannot recall anything specific. Opening up avenues for the LTTE to bring in ship loads of arms, the issues with the long range unit of the army, inability to keep the top people of the UNP inside the party, horning..etc are anything but brilliant...how do you expect someone who cannot control, run a party effectively to run a goverenment?...furthermore..someone so brilliant should be able to conjure up a strategy at least occasionally to win an election, don't you think?

agree with you on the clean bill. but can you give me some examples on the "brilliant mind". everyone talks of his brilliant mind, but so far i really cannot recall anything specific. Opening up avenues for the LTTE to bring in ship loads of arms, the issues with the long range unit of the army, inability to keep the top people of the UNP inside the party, horning..etc are anything but brilliant...how do you expect someone who cannot control, run a party effectively to run a goverenment?...furthermore..someone so brilliant should be able to conjure up a strategy at least occasionally to win an election, don't you think?

Yep, true. we need someone like Gamini Dissanayake / Lalith Athulathmudali type leader. but it's so pathetic that we don't see anyone like those in near future. no wonder we end up with some "bad eggs" after get killed professionals like Lakshman Kadirgamar and those earlier mentioned people.

well i'm sure the guy was merely thinking about his own speech to be given to the parliament later that day which i do believe is a habit lot of the MP's lack. they simply run their mouth with out thinking twice. something unfortunate the military echelons have picked up as well lately.

I try to avoid politics for a reason. The pure fact is, what we know, we get from the media. Depending on what media we trust, we could be getting partisan views or even utter BS. In short, we know nothing for certain.

Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will

philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize

that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were

noble and children respected their elders.

No such thing as a clean politician. If he's clean so far, then its either coz no one has found out yet or he/she has done nothing YET. But it will come.

“Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton (English Historian, 1834-1902)

<shrug>I just try to survive as long as possible. Everyone dies in the end anyway.

I think having a clean bill on corruption which is so wide spread these days itself shows what a true gentleman he is. On top of that the ceasefire agreement and the numerous rounds of peace talk he managed to initiate was by far the most successful and long lasting in the entire history of this civil conflict. Yes there is lot of controversy surrounding the ceasefire but his long term plan and journey was cut short by then head of state due to her power hungriness (which she publicly regret now, yet another acknowledgment of his brilliance) so I think it’s not fair to say that he opened a window of opportunity for LTTE to rearm. They did what everyone else would have done, survival and having a backup plan. Who knows if he was in power for few more years he may have been able to architect a more permanent solution for this never ending problem.

During his short premiership back in 2001 he laid the foundation for his long term vision. Hence there aren’t many tangible things to point out but the stats speak for itself. He managed to turn around the countries ‘negative’ growth to a positive one while keeping the inflation at bay (unlike the fake figures and indices published by the current MPC of CB). Introduction of a pricing formula for gasoline that was reviewed on a weekly basis was yet another innovative concept that reflected the transparency of his government (unlike the current government , god knows what they are doing by buying a barrel of oil at around $80 and still selling a liter of petrol at Rs 170). Plus his cabinet only compromise of 20 members (I must admit I can’t remember the exact figure but I’m pretty sure it was nothing compared to the one in place at present).

About running his own party, Well let me start my argument by asking what has the 17 descendent UNP MPs done to the betterment of this country? They have been with the ruling coalition for more than a year now other than enjoying the perks of their ministerial portfolios they have given back nothing other than keeping this current government afloat by voting in support during the budget vote. Plus politics has entered a very pathetic and degrading phase in Sri Lanka. No one work according to a set of principals or values. Everyone’s into making a quick buck. It has become a get rich scheme. Look what the so called left winged marxist Wimal (and the other 10 members of JVP who joined NFF) did? He had a completed 180 degree turnaround overnight. He betrayed what he believed in all his life for few bundles of Rs.2000 bills (who knows may be they were bundles of benjamins).

About elections, well last presidential election he was robbed from victory and the one before he lost due to the little stunt show LTTE decided to put on in the last minute. Let’s not even talk about the 3 PC polls that were conducted recently, they were the most corrupt elections in the entire history of this country (upcoming PC or general election will surely top this). Ruling party with the help of paramilitary organizations had a field day in stuffing ballad boxes. How else will the opposition chief minister candidates rack up the most number of preferential votes when the party was beaten badly? UPFA needed the support of 3rd biggest political party JVP and a bunch of jobless monks to defeat UNP during the last general election.

I’m sorry if I waist everyone’s time by rumbling on. I tried my best to summarize things. Yes the man is not perfect. Sometimes some of the public comments he make is not in par with his intellectual superiority. Yes the man doesn’t scream from top of his lung (mind you JR didn’t do that either and he was the greatest leader this country ever had) and he doesn’t have a designer mustache. But even for a second don’t let them fool you and undermine his ‘brilliant mind’.

Yep, true. we need someone like Gamini Dissanayake / Lalith Athulathmudali type leader. but it's so pathetic that we don't see anyone like those in near future. no wonder we end up with some "bad eggs" after get killed professionals like Lakshman Kadirgamar and those earlier mentioned people.

True they all are great personalities. It is our misfortune that they didn’t get a chance to serve this country a bit longer. But let’s not forget they had their own set of weaknesses and cock ups from Mahavali project to failed impeachment attempts during their time.

I have to emphasize that Ranil managed to achieve what Kadiragama failed to achieve in 7 years within few days after coming to power.

I have to admit as peri have said some of the literature I have read may be biased and some of my views are certainly biased. but then again it is my ‘personal’ view not an independent review.

as long as our local hillbilly's and redneck's keep voting for the candidate with the biggest moustache the brilliant mind has to stay where he is,i agree that the election was somewhat corrupted,but they got most votes by selling the idea to our narrow minded voters that the day was near when every terrorist will be chucked in to the sea off point pedro.while supressing the enemy is possible by the current offensive,it will not destroy them...I mean look what's happening in iraq now,tecnically the US is the supreme ruler there but the terrorist attacks continue.....

this was all over the news yesterday. unfortunately after a quick Google search i could only find this

http://www.news.lk/index.php?option=com_co...2&Itemid=44

check out the last paragraph. its shocking how casual and lightly he has taken this matter as if we have a budget surplus. this is similar to the comment made by the petroleum minister about hedging our fuel bill. the idiot said hedging is like a lottery. its like saying insurance is a lottery. who do they think us sri lankans are? a bunch of morons like them?

Thanks for the link bro!

I try to avoid politics for a reason. The pure fact is, what we know, we get from the media. Depending on what media we trust, we could be getting partisan views or even utter BS. In short, we know nothing for certain.

Hey Pericles, quite true. I hate to get into coversations with regard to politics. Sometimes its frustrating to listen to news especially on the Sinhala channels (unfortunately i have no choice coz i have to give-way to the majority in my daily transport!!)

No such thing as a clean politician. If he's clean so far, then its either coz no one has found out yet or he/she has done nothing YET. But it will come.

<shrug>I just try to survive as long as possible. Everyone dies in the end anyway.

hey thats from 'sunscreen'!!!.. gotta love that song :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the link bro!

Hey Pericles, quite true. I hate to get into coversations with regard to politics. Sometimes its frustrating to listen to news especially on the Sinhala channels (unfortunately i have no choice coz i have to give-way to the majority in my daily transport!!)

This particular "sub thread" clearly explains about the Corollas, isn't it? :D

• 1 month later...
Hi All

This is a real contraditrion. Its all about Toyota 121 fuel consumption. Some complain its only 8-9Km's per liter in the city. But some say they do 13-14 (city) from a liter. Which one is true. Mine is 1.3L Manual, year 2006 brandnew and does only 9-10Km's per liter in the city with normal trafic/driving conditions. and 12 outstation. Checked all the plugs and did a fuel system cleaner but no luck. I have no issues with pulling power since its real fast for a 1.3L car. Pls submit your ideas and success stories.

Another issue is when Im driving around 75Kmph, on a slope in 5th gear, the RPM is about 2500 and doesnt go down even without pulling the accelarator unless the speed drops. But i used to have an automatic transmission and as soon after i get off from the accelarator padle it comes down to 1000 rpm level regardless of the speed. (except hiegher speeds above 80, it locks at 2000 rpm level in automatic transmission). Have any of you guys experienced this. Maybe high rpms is the reason for my low fuel economy ... ??? :(

PLEASE SUMBIT YOUR VIEWS/IDEAS....................!

Thanks.

I can think of 3 causes.

1. your driving style - i suggest you shift gears around 1500 rpm if u want to be really ecomical. and try to get into 5th gear before you hit 50km/h. n dont bother about the revs notdropping like in an automatic. cos modern cars use absolutely no fuel during engine braking. especially when u havent revved the engine hard before taking ur foot off the pedal. another thing. dont spend too much on lower gears. as i said earlier a quick thrashing to 1500/2000 rpm will give u plenty of boost to keep up if not outrun modern sl traffic. if u want to drive super fast n not worry about economy keep the revs above 4000 rpm cos thats where the vvti kicks in and you get that nice whine. not to mention the power. but you'd probably end up looking like a hooligan.

2. tyre size - maybe ur tyre size is wider. my car is smaller but has the same engine as a 1.5L corolla so i should be expecting much better economy. but it doesnt even deliver the same figures. i think its partly down to corolla's skinny tyres vs. my cars wider potenzas. so if u got big tyres. thats probably a major cause. if u feel so commited to obtaining good figures you could try going back to the original wheels. or try some economical michelins. nowadays our market is flooded with more n more economy biased tyres. so u can try getting them in the same size.

3. aero mods - if you have added any lips or spoiler to your that could have a little effect too. another reason why my car isnt as economical as a corolla. also try driving with ur windows closed if u dont normally do that.

if you use the a/c, switch it off each time you do a thrashing. not just its more economical but you'll appreciate the quicker response as well. anyways just to set up a benchmark i'll give you some of my figures. i get 11 km/l in town and 15-16 outside. to be brutally honest mate you are doing pretty bad in this game. i mean after all your engine is the same as mine only yours is made smaller to be more economical. plus you are the bloke with the manual box. so you should be able to cream my figures. try keeping the revs below 2000 rpm as i said and try to spend as much time on top gears. as a sub note i should mention that 2NZ/1NZ with manual box is pretty poor at top gear cos its only geared to a top speed of around 200km/h so if you do spend a lot of time at high speeds your fuel bill would suffer (try fitting taller, not wider tyres if the wells are big enough). but the idea is to stick to one speed. cos the engine only has to overcome the force of the wind resistance and the resistance of the mechanical components. whereas if u keep speeding up and slowing down the engine has to use more power to accelerate the mass of your car. hope this helps.