• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Seatbelts Compulsory

Le Sabre

Seat Belts Compulsory! Wow Finally.. that's a good thing.. plus i herd that Their going to change the procedure of getting Motor Coach Driving License (Bus License) as well? any news regarding that.. ?

Women are not required to wear seat belts since they have got two good air bags it self. :D:D:P

Women are not required to wear seat belts since they have got two good air bags it self. :D:D:P

Some women actually do believe that... ;) thus the reluctance to wear seat belts.. Not all women are lucky enough to boast of a good air bag system tho :lol:

For those who do not want to do the whole "belt" thing...

shirtmn8.th.jpg

(no offence hellrazor, just for kicks, k? :) )

c'mon man.... that one hurt a little bit :(:P:lol:

actually I AM a big fan of the whole "belt" thing,I just don't want them in cars they don't belong... :) which are very few...just my opinion :)

actually I AM a big fan of the whole "belt" thing,I just don't want them in cars they don't belong... :) which are very few...just my opinion :)

Yes it damages the looks. But safety come first (not in SL of course). I doubt that countries such as Aus, US etc will let you drive without havin seatbelts on and it doen't matter whether its classic or modern. But what about a classic with 4 point harness :mellow:

he he, yeah mate.

I for one wouldn't go 10 feet without my belt. It has certainly served me well..

this is a good idea in general but as usual implementation will be an island-style-clusterf#$k..

In most countries, public busses are exempt from mandatory seatbelt requirements because there are some other measures to prevent injuries (padded seatbacks etc.) but how will this work with local busses with the (forehead-cracking) hand rail on top of the seat back? Then there is the whole other issue of all the ppl that are standing in the bus... what about them?

Then there are all the cargo vans which are converted to carry passengers.. You can attach belts to the B, C and D pillars but its going to be hard to come up with an effective seatbelt for a middle (when u have 3 across) seat.

dhp, in the US, are buses permitted on the Free way ? In the UK I think buses are speed limited. Buses have much bigger crumple zones and have a weight advantage over most vehicles and that provides a degree of protection to most passengers.

For the last 2 years or so it is law over here to wear a seat belt if you are travelling on a coach.

If people are wondering why I'm talking about foreign examples, it is because there is no reason to re invent the wheel and we can learn from how similar issues have been resolved in other places and learn from their mistakes. All of these problems (bar possibly the 3 wheeler one) have been resolved in other places so we have things to draw inspiration upon. A common sense approach would work the best I guess.

Seat belts have been standard on vehicles for about 40 years now ! About time me thinks !

I've sadly had to experience the value of these devices in real life when in 2003, 3 of my good friends (with a fourth person) died on a car accident and the only one to survive was the one wearing a seat belt (and had an air bag to protect him). One literally got thrown through the windscreen. I think passenger and pedestrian safety outweighs all other consideration on public roads and I cannot stress enough how important it is to utilise as many safety devices as possible in vehicles, and retro fit when possible. A seat belt is such a simple device but it does save many lives.

Don my mate,i guess i was wrong to impose my opinion upon others,whether i put seat belts on my oldies is entirely up to me(as it is not required by law)...still it's good to have a healthy arugument init?

just to clarify and avoid being further unpopular,i wear seat belts in all my new cars and urge my passengers to do the same...

P.S-sorry to hear about your friends..

Edited by HelRazor

I can guarantee at least in the UK any vehicle on the road will not get an MOT to run without seat belts fitted in. There is a reason for their existence and the fact it became standard later on, or the fact it will involve some modification to existing vehicles do not justify not installing them.

Don

Are you sure about this? I am quite sure you have to wear seatbelts if available so for cars without seatbelts (classics) you are ok. There are loads of cars here in the UK (Classics) without seatbelts. You only have to wear them if the car is equipped with seatbelts. Im sure this will be the case in SL as well.

Don

Are you sure about this? I am quite sure you have to wear seatbelts if available so for cars without seatbelts (classics) you are ok. There are loads of cars here in the UK (Classics) without seatbelts. You only have to wear them if the car is equipped with seatbelts. Im sure this will be the case in SL as well.

I think if you want to ride the car on a public motor way you need an MOT, and an MOT requires seat belts to be installed. I don't think classics are exempt from requiring a MOT though some are exempt from road tax. The only exemption is on medical grounds.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...icle/DG_4022064

Edit

Big fan of the MGA myself, and that discussion on the other thread made me have a look, and I found one (the only one on ebay UK at the moment !) notice the seatbelts ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-MGA_W0QQitemZ3700...id=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by The Don

he he, yeah mate.

I for one wouldn't go 10 feet without my belt. It has certainly served me well..

those days when i start the car i put seat belts, but now everytime when i put, i always want to remove it, another thing is if u goin around cmb wearing seat belts how many times u have to get off at check points ? but i have to use to seat belts agian

OT

Today evening near the Zoo 4 STF guys stoped my car and ask to get off and stop the engine, one jacka*s showed me the bonet and ask to open the dicky, they even look inside the engine bay, and if they can they will remove everything inside, one guy ask me why the part of the engine is red color, and what are the two round green things on both side (Top of shocks) intercooler and many things, anyway after my answers all of their faces turn to green....... stupid as* Ho*les :violent-smiley-099::violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-099:

Guys,

Just a few facts-In the UK there is no need for seat belts if in the front on cars built befor a cut off point in the 1960's I know the date if I was at work as I am a MOT examiner.

Any car sold as new in the UK since had to have belts for the front seats in order for them to be type approoved-So No seat belts No new car!

The rear belts started being fitted in the late 70's and became necessary for type approoval in the 80's-they were testable at the MOT from that day onwards models.

It was very recently in the late 90's that wearing the rear seat belt became compulsory or was it early 2000's?

All that said I am a great fan of seat belts and child restraints as it saves many lives and horrific injuries.My principal is if belts are fitted wear them!

How ever do not be tempted fit seat belts on a very old car without factory provided threaded mounting holes. The stresses on a belt mounting during a high speed crash can be like an elephant trampling it and such a belt may be more dangerous than going without one!

To draft and pass legislation requires a degree of intelligence and education as well as a collection of expertese in the subject. Do you think we have a civil service capable of doing such drafting and a parliment capable of analysing debating and adopting such complex technical legislation?

Maithri.

To draft and pass legislation requires a degree of intelligence and education as well as a collection of expertese in the subject. Do you think we have a civil service capable of doing such drafting and a parliment capable of analysing debating and adopting such complex technical legislation?

Maithri.

In a word, no. They wouldn't be able to debate and decide what to have for lunch if they had to.

In a word, no. They wouldn't be able to debate and decide what to have for lunch if they had to.

good one man.. i agree.. the dumbos must have come up with this just like that.. ohh... what shal we do today... oh yeah.. lets make seat belts complusary.. :blink:

tha idiocracy goes beyond the normal curve.. :action-smiley-060:

Guys,

Just a few facts-In the UK there is no need for seat belts if in the front on cars built befor a cut off point in the 1960's I know the date if I was at work as I am a MOT examiner.

Any car sold as new in the UK since had to have belts for the front seats in order for them to be type approoved-So No seat belts No new car!

The rear belts started being fitted in the late 70's and became necessary for type approoval in the 80's-they were testable at the MOT from that day onwards models.

It was very recently in the late 90's that wearing the rear seat belt became compulsory or was it early 2000's?

All that said I am a great fan of seat belts and child restraints as it saves many lives and horrific injuries.My principal is if belts are fitted wear them!

How ever do not be tempted fit seat belts on a very old car without factory provided threaded mounting holes. The stresses on a belt mounting during a high speed crash can be like an elephant trampling it and such a belt may be more dangerous than going without one!

Maithri.

I stand corrected. Apologies to maliths.