• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Used Rx8's- Opinoins Anyone?

Kavvz

lol no no machan my comments were not aimed at you...just following up on andrew said about Rx's...i'm sure you are a true enthusiast :)

lolz! No offence taken, actually Thank You for the show of faith. Not too sure if I'm a true enthusiast; but I can certainly appreciate a decent automobile when I come across it....

Well this i a common misconception about the RX8's maintanence... their is very little money involved in the actual maintainence... hehehe my actual costs are as follow : $12 - 3 Quarts of Castrol GTX ( for a month ) , $15 - washing and keeping it clean , $90 - mazda service ( every 3000 km ) and thats it! :D and my car is a daily driver, sits 4 people easily and lugs about all my grocery's... not to mention the turbo killings i manage on the highways! ... the more important maintainence is simply warming up your engine, checking oil levels, tire pressure, redlining to erase carbon and keeping your oil and air filters clean... thats all bro! Just buy a RX8 that is under 100,000 miles and u have the added benefit of mazda's warranty for every single RX8 for engine failure... they recently increased the warranty to 8 years and 100,000 miles... you can pick up a very good condition RX8 made in 2005 , 6SP GT with less than 50,000 miles for around $15,000 now... so heck why not? :D mind u i test drove the G35 and allthough it is a nice car, it just didnt appeal to me... plus the fact that my aunts have em too... :P anyways dude let us know what ur final plans are!

Sadly yes, you're right about the G35 coupe. Its a nice car but rather soulless when compared to the RX-8. Can't really find much fault with it though and I wouldn't be suprised if I end up owning one. But sports car its not, its more of a soft 350z for the late twenty's/early thirty's age bracket than a real performer.

Encouraging info about the RX-8 though; Thanks man. As for what you say about the bang for buck at $15k yeah, exactly! Its almost a no brainer, however I am still on the fence about it. Seems like with an used RX-8 its critical to pick out the right car, and I'm loath to make a decision...

Edited by Kavvz

Sadly yes, you're right about the G35 coupe. Its a nice car but rather soulless when compared to the RX-8. Can't really find much fault with it though and I wouldn't be suprised if I end up owning one. But sports car its not, its more of a soft 350z for the late twenty's/early thirty's age bracket than a real performer.

Encouraging info about the RX-8 though; Thanks man. As for what you say about the bang for buck at $15k yeah, exactly! Its almost a no brainer, however I am still on the fence about it. Seems like with an used RX-8 its critical to pick out the right car, and I'm loath to make a decision...

machan i would feel rx8 is ideal for a person who likes to cruise.

i loved my rx8 but my only problem was that being used to power and sure footed handling of the evos and stis i was a bit disappointed with my rx8.

But i loved my car for its design and interior application and attention i used to get. my serious problem was the lack of torque it had. I wished that they had made it turbo.

but just like as andy said if you have warranty that long and if you can get it for USD 15000.... that really worth it.

Edited by Velocity

• 2 years later...

hey guys im bout to buy an RX8 ! is it worth buyn ? in SL ? dse it have a good re sale value ? and i heard u hve to replace the engine aftr 140k km ? is it true ?

Anyone who asks "does it have a good resale value" when buying a sports car, sports cars are NOT for that person. So forget it, go buy a Corolla or Allion or summin like that.

hey guys im bout to buy an RX8 ! is it worth buyn ? in SL ? dse it have a good re sale value ? and i heard u hve to replace the engine aftr 140k km ? is it true ?

You had opened up a new thread for this same question. And you had gotten a good answer. What gives?

Anyways, if you really want to buy the car, call up the agents and ask them whether they can maintain/repair RX8s, although one owner told me they don't. So, unless you have someone who knows how to take care of a car like that, don't buy it. You're liable to end up ruining it and then you're gonna be stuck with it.

• 4 months later...

why is is so expensive here when noone even buys it. Is it possible to et one for a cheaper rate than 60k for a 2008 manual

QUOTE(Kavvz @ Dec 12 2008, 01:01 PM) What's the deal? You like yours down state-side so much you want one for SL as well?

On another note I'm curious as to what you think about the 100k mark being the upper end of the RX-8 rotary power plant's useful life. Is this in Sri Lankan context? Or does it apply to N America as well?

Hahahah dude u have no idea how much i love this car and thats in context to all the other cars i own... its just something else when u drive it and learn about it... as for mileage i have quite a few friends running their original engines with way over 110,000 miles on it with no problems yet... as long as u care for it and looka after it properly then the car will give its own back...everyone that says the engine sucks or its a troublesome car really hasnt taken the time to appreciate it and look after a rotary.... even in sri lanka im sure ppl will give u two view points...the enthusiast and the people that buy em for the 'show off' status...the latter being the bigger complainers! biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

Hi guys reviving this thread because I hv seen a couple of "Type S" RX-8's advertises which seem to hv auto (tiptronic) boxes. One recent ad in AL.

That cannot be right, 'cos type S (247hp) only comes in manual?

TIA

Hi guys reviving this thread because I hv seen a couple of "Type S" RX-8's advertises which seem to hv auto (tiptronic) boxes. One recent ad in AL.

That cannot be right, 'cos type S (247hp) only comes in manual?

TIA

Seems like its offered in both manual and automatic (manumatic via shifters) for the first gen. as well as the second gen.

Seems like its offered in both manual and automatic (manumatic via shifters) for the first gen. as well as the second gen.

Kavvz, sorry I was actually referring to 2004 model where the variants were known as Type S and Type E as far as I've been able to fathom.

In the links you sent the discussion is on 2007 re-mod and 2011 model where the variants are RS and GT.

Even in those models, GT seems to only come in MT.

In all the literature I can find (including Mazda specifications), the 2004 models were a 238/247 bhp 6 speed MT and 197 bhp 4 speed AT.

I just wanted to confirm whether the type S was the higher spec'ed MT version and whether there was any variant of Type S in AT.

Kavvz, sorry I was actually referring to 2004 model where the variants were known as Type S and Type E as far as I've been able to fathom.

In the links you sent the discussion is on 2007 re-mod and 2011 model where the variants are RS and GT.

Even in those models, GT seems to only come in MT.

In all the literature I can find (including Mazda specifications), the 2004 models were a 238/247 bhp 6 speed MT and 197 bhp 4 speed AT.

I just wanted to confirm whether the type S was the higher spec'ed MT version and whether there was any variant of Type S in AT.

Not sure how the JDM model was for those early ones but if it helps: I initially looked at the 2004 model year when I was thinking to pick one up, and I ran across a couple of 'GT' spec ones that were manumatic versions (they were mostly manumatic actually, it seemed like that was the preferred setup) -Oh btw, if you're looking I seem to remember Andrew_GTR saying that the 2004's didn't have traction control; his advice was to ignore those, and pick up a 2005 version with TC instead...

Edited by Kavvz

Not sure how the JDM model was for those early ones but if it helps: I initially looked at the 2004 model year when I was thinking to pick one up, and I ran across a couple of 'GT' spec ones that were manumatic versions (they were mostly manumatic actually, it seemed like that was the preferred setup) -Oh btw, if you're looking I seem to remember Andrew_GTR saying that the 2004's didn't have traction control; his advice was to ignore those, and pick up a 2005 version with TC instead...

Thanks mate. I'm actually interested in 2007 model but I was just trying to clear the fact that the 'high-powered' version in any model year, only came in MT and not AT :) So far, that holds true for all 2007 cars that I've come across.

I called up one of the ads with 'S type' and AT and the current owner has no proof that it is a S type other than the previous order told him so and he does not know the output of his engine! :)

Thanks mate. I'm actually interested in 2007 model but I was just trying to clear the fact that the 'high-powered' version in any model year, only came in MT and not AT :) So far, that holds true for all 2007 cars that I've come across.

I called up one of the ads with 'S type' and AT and the current owner has no proof that it is a S type other than the previous order told him so and he does not know the output of his engine! :)

Well it is a nice looking car. Unfortunately in my case I had to go a different route but I see a first generation Rx8 in the parking lot often and its certainly a stunner...All the best on your search.

• Like 1