• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mra Sevanagala Rally 2008

MADZ

The Motor Racing Association (MRA) is to kick off the year’s first rallying event with the much-anticipated Sevanagala Rally 2008 on the 28th, 29th & 30th of November on the fast gravel stages of the Sevanagala Sugar Industries plantation. After the security-related cancellation of the 2008 MRA Rally Championship, this will be the sole special-stage rally to be conducted by the club in 2008.

Eleven special stages, including two night stages, will be run through the picturesque sugarcane fields of the Sevanagala plantation, located close to the Uda Walawe National Park. The MRA, the only proponent of high-speed FIA-standard closed-course rallying in Sri Lanka, will conduct this one-off meet as a preview of a more substantial rally championship to be held in 2009.

Over the last few years, special stage rallying has come to prominence in Sri Lanka, with GT-class stars such as Aravinda Premadasa, Reyaz Farook, Dinesh Deheragoda and Nishan Weerasooria repeatedly averaging over 100 km/h per stage in their Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions, putting these events on par with World Rally Championship events in terms of outright speed.

This year, the GT-class stars will have further competition from Subaru drivers Shafraz Junaid and Shantha Suraweera as well as Honda drivers Javidh Wahab and Nigel Perera. Others expected to contend for the overall win at Sevanagala include Rizvi Farouk, Wicky Wickremesinghe and Ameen Deane as well as the Truck & Jeep category entries of Deepthi Perera and Dinesh Senanayake.

A full field of cars is expected and Sevanagala 2008 promises to be the fastest and most open rally in years.

Entry forms are still available at the MRA Secretariat at No. 5 Havelock Place, Colombo 5. With several holiday resorts in the area and multiple viewing locations available along the rally stages, spectators are encouraged to attend this world-class event for a chance to witness high-speed rallying at its finest. For further information, please contact Dilshan Dodanwela on 0777602618.

=============

MRA RALLY 2008 - SEVENAGALA TIMING

mraresultsts1.jpg

MRA RALLY 2008 - SEVENAGALA [DOWNLOAD PDF]

Aravinda Premadasa won, followed by Javidh Wahab and Dinesh Senanayake. Janaka Dias was fourth, after recovering from 2 stage DNFs, Missaka Gamage was 5th and Manish Goonetilleke (co-driven by Fuzzo incidentally), was 6th overall.

More to follow.....

Aravinda Premadasa won, followed by Javidh Wahab and Dinesh Senanayake. Janaka Dias was fourth, after recovering from 2 stage DNFs, Missaka Gamage was 5th and Manish Goonetilleke (co-driven by Fuzzo incidentally), was 6th overall.

More to follow.....

Await results(with car model and all) and pix

More to follow.....

my my Fuzzo! didn't realize you were that into Motorsport! :appl:

Edited by Devinda_Z

More to follow.....

hey Fuzzo well done machan

no we managed to stay dry for the most part....

the evo pajero and a evo 5 went in but were pulled out and ran the next stage.

Good scene macho, btw the Discovery which was on rescue duty is my Managers (BTW Dev a V8 disco1) so I got to know what happened. Its a shame the pajero evo driver has been struggling at 4WD and now moved to these rallies and has problems controlling the power. That vehicle could have done really well in that sorta rally.

Now what we need are some pics of the wet rally track with mud covered vehicles.

Good scene macho, btw the Discovery which was on rescue duty is my Managers (BTW Dev a V8 disco1) so I got to know what happened. Its a shame the pajero evo driver has been struggling at 4WD and now moved to these rallies and has problems controlling the power. That vehicle could have done really well in that sorta rally.

which one Gummy?

V.W's - on a FZ plate? if its that last i saw twas mint :)

some pics are up on the face book group.

was just admiring that Pajero Evo :(

who was running that?

This wasn't the same which was puy up for sale by M.I was it?? :huh:

& fuzz you might well be right in that its ideal seeing as Mivec went on to win in one of those some years back

the paj evo does look stunning. it was run by a person called deepthi ... can't remember the last name.

this was the white one for sale at merc sometime back. he had done up the interior on it and looks decent now.

and this is mivec old p. evo.

the paj evo does look stunning. it was run by a person called deepthi ... can't remember the last name.

this was the white one for sale at merc sometime back. he had done up the interior on it and looks decent now.

and this is mivec old p. evo.

this isn't the Jeep Wrangler CIFL deepthi is it??

always been a fan of that....

any idea how much it changed hands for - been trying to find out for sometime now what the value of one of those would be...

:violent-smiley-030: ela kiri fuzzo...well done...good to hav a pro rally driver in the team..congrats to manish 2... :violent-smiley-030: Edited by RACERSEDGE

this isn't the Jeep Wrangler CIFL deepthi is it??

always been a fan of that....

any idea how much it changed hands for - been trying to find out for sometime now what the value of one of those would be...

I believe somewhere in the range of 4-5 mil. Are we talking about Dinesh's old one or Mahinda's one?

actually the red one went for a lot cheaper.. it was in the 2.5 mil range..

mahinda i hear is now quoting in the 4 mil range for his.

as for driving next time, i think i'll sit back and navigate a few more times before taking the plunge just to get the hang of it all.

MRA RALLY 2008 - SEVENAGALA TIMING

mraresultsts1.jpg

MRA RALLY 2008 - SEVENAGALA [DOWNLOAD PDF]

Looks lyk Aravinda has dominated most of the time. And its good to see someone driving a SUV coming in ahead of the next SLGT guy, also well done to Wahab.

BTW fuzzo, its pretty good that you guys finished that well, some of my office guys was asking as to how the D/cab would have fared and when I said 5th he was amazed. I know that the next guy in T&J class has a well prepared Pajero sWB which I have seen at Thissa and Foxhill.