• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

<-- Vehicle Engine Exhaust Test -->

cha

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the ways do you know if CTB and All Government Vehicles should undergo this Test,

If not someone needs to file a Case against government for the misdeed.

Because from what i know CTB have age OLD fleet and i feel that they will not qualify for this.

Also other Government Institutional Vehicles should be Tested.

Can some one find info about this ?????

a verdict to this effect was delivered by our truly day before yesterday. CJ has instructed to make arrangements for busses and lorry to under go the VET. start date is yet to be appointed though

HI guys,

I have a querry for the Mech savy... whilst being tested dosen't the composition of the fuel matter? and also some guys say that they chech if the oil tempreture in diesel to be 70c if so what of the various oils in use you have synthetics/Minerals/ multi grades etc. Do the test places check and calibirate their units according to them.

I also heard from an guy who use to do testings in Canada that the test units have to be calibirated each morning prior to the tests and Zero the units. Is this being done in Sri Lanka.

I think they should appoint one fuel station also that will pump only certified correct octane level of Petrol & diesel as this too will change the readings.

I feel that our law makers should first announce a Benchmark for these testings and then inform the public of their rights. I also think that the testing organisations should be held accounatble for the engines blowing up!!! No civilised person is going to rev an engine beyond 3000Rpms unless they want it to blow up...and also why are the checking the belts??/

Pls enlighten..

Cruiserhead

I feel that our law makers should first announce a Benchmark for these testings and then inform the public of their rights. I also think that the testing organisations should be held accounatble for the engines blowing up!!! No civilised person is going to rev an engine beyond 3000Rpms unless they want it to blow up...and also why are the checking the belts??/

They check the belts to see that they dont brake (possibly), if it does u fail the first stage Visual Check then move on to revving the life out of the poor vehicles.

Well people do rev to 3000rpm dont they? My old lancer needs about 3000rpm to reach 80 on fourth. But come on look at the people on todays roads they revv their cars beyond that figure when they travel on Galle Road, been fed up with the noises made by the Buses these days and the racing boys.

On a different note I've been told by a friend of mine that many a newly registered Motorbike (obviously more than one year old) has been failed, and he was a bit reluctant to take his next month.

what? :o

anyway theres just the one registered Prius running in colombo , so its a non issue , or at least not of any concern to the general motoring public

No its more than 6 in Colombo incl my neighbours'.

MINIACE

Edited by miniace

They check the belts to see that they dont brake (possibly), if it does u fail the first stage Visual Check then move on to revving the life out of the poor vehicles.

Well people do rev to 3000rpm dont they? My old lancer needs about 3000rpm to reach 80 on fourth. But come on look at the people on todays roads they revv their cars beyond that figure when they travel on Galle Road, been fed up with the noises made by the Buses these days and the racing boys.

On a different note I've been told by a friend of mine that many a newly registered Motorbike (obviously more than one year old) has been failed, and he was a bit reluctant to take his next month.

New motorbikes failing :o

Do you know what make? Is it cause of bad maintenance or is it generally difficult for bikes to pass? Hope my cat is not ruined from our top grade fuel :(

Do you know what make? Is it cause of bad maintenance or is it generally difficult for bikes to pass? Hope my cat is not ruined from our top grade fuel :(

Any comments guys?

I have heard that motorbike carbs are kind of a compromose when it comes to car ones.

Do any experts know whether motorbike emissions are hard to control? The emission standards are also lower for motorbikes is this the reason for that?

Guys,

About revving an engine, here in the UK the way it's done is:

Petrol engines: With the engine warm, i.e. guage showing normal, hot coolant pipes or fan cut in we test the CO,HC and Lambda readings at 2500 to 3000 RPM in the initial basic test which requires the readings to be taken over a 30 second reriod followed by a further 30 seconds of stabilisation time, then the engine is allowed te settle at idle and just the CO is tested at idle. The option is there to test the oil temperatuer but we hardly use this initially. If the car does not pass this the actual manufacturer agreed limit is applied and this may mean holding the RPM at around 3000 for nearly 5 minutes to allow the catalytic converter to properly function so the car gets every chance to pass the test, this level of RPM should not damage a normal engine in decent state of maintainance, but if the bearings are knocking and the belts are rattling it needs sorting first, but that is not the fault of the test, a car is a useful, essential and a fun piece of metal but it is also a lethal wepon, so if you can't look after it please park it up till you have money to fix it as a poorly looked after car is a danger to all the other road users as well as to it's owner.

Off my pedestal!

Diesels: These are revved to the governed limits from 1 to 6 times and the smoke particles measured, in most modern engines this is far in excess of 3000. How ever we do not hjold it at the limit, it is a gradual step on the pedal within around 10 seconds and off the pedal as soon as the governer cuts in!

We do ask the presenter of the diesel cars if it's cam belt changes are up to date and will refuse to test if the belts are not replaced in time or any knocks or rattles are heard from the engines.

There is far more to it but above is the basics so if you have a properly maintained car you should have no worries.

That does not how ever mean I agree that we need to do this in SL, there is a lot more priorities in my humble openion, but I didn't elect the politicians who brought it on.

Maithri

I heard one guy complaining to Divisional Secretariat, Kaduwela on his VET experience. He has a 1 year old brand newly purchased motor cycle and has been maintaining by agents from day 1. He has been told by Laughs that his bike is failing the VET - not sure the figures though. David Peris has tested the bike and has confirmed that there is no problem with the bike and it's produce - as per the owner. Agents have recommended to get the VET from CleanCo instead. Apparently the CleanCo VET has been passed.

thats kinda nice to hear i guess!

any idea how much it cost your neighbour MiniAce?

is the car worth paying a premium for in terms of savings generated from what i assume is small fuel bill? :huh:

He got it as a part exchange.Cost around 2.2 Mil.He got it cheap.

MINIACE

He got it as a part exchange.Cost around 2.2 Mil.He got it cheap.

MINIACE

next time you hear of one going for that cheap give me a buzz MiniAce - wouldn't hurt to have a car of normal size with thats that kinda economy and thats as 'clean' as they say it is in these trying times

thats mighty impressive!!!! :o

my only concern is what the maintainence is like here - can Toyota actually handle the car?

It shares parts of Toyota 120 including engine.Cosmetic and body parts are different but Toyota Lanka got few stocks.Battery pack is the only issue coz its expensive but can be imported through agents.Amazing ne?

MINIACE

next time you hear of one going for that cheap give me a buzz MiniAce - wouldn't hurt to have a car of normal size with thats that kinda economy and thats as 'clean' as they say it is in these trying times

Will buzz you when my neighbour wants to sell it....now dont ask if he wants to exchange with a Z :lol: J/K mate!!

MINIACE

I heard one guy complaining to Divisional Secretariat, Kaduwela on his VET experience. He has a 1 year old brand newly purchased motor cycle and has been maintaining by agents from day 1. He has been told by Laughs that his bike is failing the VET - not sure the figures though. David Peris has tested the bike and has confirmed that there is no problem with the bike and it's produce - as per the owner. Agents have recommended to get the VET from CleanCo instead. Apparently the CleanCo VET has been passed.

Thanks for the info mate :alc:

you read my mind MiniAce!

i swear i was just thinking that it would make for a straight swap! :lol:

Hmm another free ad for the Z...well that makes 150 times ,talk about :lol: J/K bro!

My neighbour is not a hot rod fan :( otherwise would've been the 'transaction of the decade' :lol:

MINIACE

hey,

I kinda need to get the emmisions tests done as well, but a tad confised.. the Laugh's joint is relatively larger and has a much longer queue. And the otherplace (drivegreen) which is just a stone-throw away from the laughs test centre has much fewer vehicles and the process they claimed, will take no more than 5 minutes. And the guy there said that theirs is a much less complected process with no forms etc etc.. But the centre i went to didnt have diesel testing and asked me to goto malabe for it. Considering the slow moving diesel line at laughs i am considering going to malabe.. but the drivegreen people dont have a visual check bay etc.. So does this mean their check is a lesser one, and will we be turned away when we goto get our license cos of this?

Thanks.

hey,

I kinda need to get the emmisions tests done as well, but a tad confised.. the Laugh's joint is relatively larger and has a much longer queue. And the otherplace (drivegreen) which is just a stone-throw away from the laughs test centre has much fewer vehicles and the process they claimed, will take no more than 5 minutes. And the guy there said that theirs is a much less complected process with no forms etc etc.. But the centre i went to didnt have diesel testing and asked me to goto malabe for it. Considering the slow moving diesel line at laughs i am considering going to malabe.. but the drivegreen people dont have a visual check bay etc.. So does this mean their check is a lesser one, and will we be turned away when we goto get our license cos of this?

Thanks.

DriveGreen (CleanCo) were acceptable i felt based on the expereince at the Supercar even thanx to Andrew & Hussain - you might be better off with them, given that no one really seems to have anything good to say about laughs testing :mellow: