• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes Benz Unimog

Velocity

i would love to own the old one though

:)

it looks mean.

unimoghx2.jpg

Z i will check that out. Though the new one looks damn ugly bro. It looks too futuristic.

true that the old one looks quite butch! :)

the new one looks more like some JCB / Catepillar kinda contraption than anything else with that large glass front... :mellow:

• 1 month later...
i saw one in a house in the udawalawe area...

I have a friend who has one, but needs a full restoration. But he is an expert in4x4 so am sure he will be able to get it going.

Z : Am sure you know who I am talking about...

If anypone is interested I can ask him if he's sellin it......... I loved it too, but not viable for me ........ as yet....... :rolleyes:

The one thats with the Department of Measurement Units, Standards & Services 101,Park Road, Colombo 05

is very much newer and has this face -

ORC0310_Unimog_Black.jpg

Its white and on a LE plate

is it just me that sees a resemblance to Darth Vader's helmet here?

is this the one which is near Gangaramaya? :unsure:

so thats excluding the newer 405 UGN's

are any of these privately owned? would they be of any use for off road competition use? :huh:

I heard about the new ones so that confirms it. The gangaramaya one should be the one that owned by D P Jayasinghe, orignally came for the JR project. The 4 are privately owned. They will be great vehicles to find trails for 4x4 competition but not sure whether they can compete, as the older ones maximum in 6th gear is 50 kmph. I guess you can walk faster when it is low gear. The Portal axles are great.

Cheers

I heard about the new ones so that confirms it. The gangaramaya one should be the one that owned by D P Jayasinghe, orignally came for the JR project. The 4 are privately owned. They will be great vehicles to find trails for 4x4 competition but not sure whether they can compete, as the older ones maximum in 6th gear is 50 kmph. I guess you can walk faster when it is low gear. The Portal axles are great.

right, now that bit i didn't know! :lol:

out of curiosity, what exactly is the JR project :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Off-road award: The Mercedes-Benz Unimog is the Off-roader of the Year 2009

Readers of the special-interest magazine "OFF ROAD" have voted the Unimog the Off-roader of the Year in the "Special-purpose vehicles" category

Unimog takes first place with an outstanding 42.3 % of readers’ votes

13_Mercedes_Benz_Unimog.jpg

Stuttgart/Munich – For the fifth time in succession, the Mercedes-Benz Unimog has been voted the best off-road vehicle of the year in the "special-purpose vehicles" category by readers of the special-interest magazine OFF ROAD. The "Off-roader of the Year 2009 – Special-purpose vehicles category" award was made on the basis of a vote covering vehicles in eight categories in the December edition of this venerable Munich-based off-roader magazine. The OFF ROAD obelisk was recently presented during a ceremonial gala evening at the Munich theatre pavilion "Das Schloss". More than 44,000 readers took part in the vote between the 92 vehicles concerned. The Unimog won first place in the special-purpose category with an outstanding 42.3 % of the votes.

The categories for the readers’ vote were "Off-road vehicles", "Luxury off-road vehicles", "Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs)", "Luxury SUVs", "Classics", "Pick-ups", "Special-purpose vehicles" and "Crossovers". The Unimog was clearly ahead of the field among the special-purpose vehicles – off-road capable vehicles used to carry loads and goods to remote areas, or as a platform for special-purpose bodies such as firefighting, expedition and military vehicles. Characteristic product attributes such as outstanding off-road capabilities with portal axles, and enormous torsional flexibility combined with great robustness and solidity, were particularly praised.

The all-terrain Unimog series U 3000 to U 5000, which has been produced in Wörth since autumn 2002, is ideal for difficult off-road assignments well away from the beaten track and road. Its main areas of application are with the firefighting services – especially for forest fires – disaster relief services, expedi tions and servicing/maintenance work in areas where access is difficult. Accordingly the Unimog models U 3000, U 4000 and U 5000 ideally complement the vehicles in the U 300 to U 500 series – off-road-capable implement carriers which are mainly encountered working in the municipal services, with municipal contractors, in the construction and energy sectors, in in-company transport and in dual (road/rail) operations. The youngest addition to the Unimog family is the compact Unimog U 20, launched in 2008.

The magazine OFF-ROADhas held its Off-roader of the Year readers’ vote since 1982.

Copyright © 2009, Daimler AG

Source : http://emercedesbenz.com/Feb09/13_001590_M...d_Magazine.html

Off-road award: The Mercedes-Benz Unimog is the Off-roader of the Year 2009

Readers of the special-interest magazine "OFF ROAD" have voted the Unimog the Off-roader of the Year in the "Special-purpose vehicles" category

Unimog takes first place with an outstanding 42.3 % of readers’ votes

13_Mercedes_Benz_Unimog.jpg

Source : http://emercedesbenz.com/Feb09/13_001590_M...d_Magazine.html

woah...now this looks like one mean machine...

very cool!!

Thanks Dev for the link :)