• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Subaru

tharindu6

Question

A 19- Impreza goes for about 8-10 lahks depending on the condition.

Auto Mirai delkanda has a WRX engine and a gear box the guy wanted 2 lahks about an year ago, your total investment will be around 12-14 if you know what you are doing.

The impreza boxer engines are very reliable and produces more BHP hence a very good investment in the long run.

A 19- Impreza goes for about 8-10 lahks depending on the condition.

Auto Mirai delkanda has a WRX engine and a gear box the guy wanted 2 lahks about an year ago, your total investment will be around 12-14 if you know what you are doing.

The impreza boxer engines are very reliable and produces more BHP hence a very good investment in the long run.

Automirai dnt have ane subaru conversions at the moment

wrx conversion kit from 2 to 4, car no idea, if u looking for cheep fast car then go for EVO III, CB3 around 8, conversion kit around 2, with all it will cost max 12

Gihan which one is better? Subaru or EVOIII. I herd that i have to cut some of the body parts on a lancer inorder to accomadate 4WD setup :action-smiley-060: is it true? does it have any impact on the performance? and one question these convirsions kits are they brand new or used ones? :unsure:

wrx conversion kit from 2 to 4, car no idea, if u looking for cheep fast car then go for EVO III, CB3 around 8, conversion kit around 2, with all it will cost max 12

that red evo convert is still on the mkt right? but the asking is well over than price ne? :unsure:

I herd that i have to cut some of the body parts on a lancer inorder to accomadate 4WD setup :action-smiley-060: is it true? does it have any impact on the performance? and one question these convirsions kits are they brand new or used ones? :unsure:

spare wheel well is removed to accomodate the rear differential

the engines & bits are all used

Edited by Devinda_Z

Gihan which one is better? Subaru or EVOIII. I herd that i have to cut some of the body parts on a lancer inorder to accomadate 4WD setup :action-smiley-060: is it true? does it have any impact on the performance? and one question these convirsions kits are they brand new or used ones? :unsure:

STi always straight fit, EVO III need some body modifications, all conversion kits are used, Japan imported Engines done around 30000 to 60000 KM, Malasian imports 90+, still there wont be any isues

the WRX conversion is far more straightforward than a EVO conversion owing to the fact that the chassis does not need any modification. The drivetrain is a direct fit since the NA imprezas also do come with AWD. It does, however, lack the structural re-inforcement that are installed on WRX's at the factory.

I'm going to be a Snob and call out the difference between an STI and a WRX.

STI's are specifically blueprinted before going into production- the engine, suspension, gearbox, drivetrain and ECU are endemic to each STI version.

Most of the SL imports that came from Japan are STI's- save for a few WRX's. STI's are available as JDM/european (excluding UK) models that supplemented the JDM WRX.

WRX's are basically Turbo'd Imprezas without the STI livery- in stock form, they are not as powerful as the STI.

A visual check of a STOCK WRX would be the tea-tray spoiler in place of the massive, obnoxious wing (yeah, i'm guilty too...).

These are the cars that were also officially exported from Japan to Europe, UK, Oz, NZ, etc.

The reason for calling out this distinction is that many of the conversion kits available at Dealers in SL are called "STI Conversions", but you may not necessarily be paying for an actual STI engine/drivetrain. Its easy to tack on a STI intercooler or STi badges on the body parts and say that it is an STI, but it may not be the case. A lot of the differences are the internals such as pistons, bearings, ECU, etc.

So word of caution to those who are looking to do the conversion.

In addition to this complicated terminology, there is also the engine type.

The Boxer engine came in two types (logically, Phase I and Phase II).

Phase I is found on all turbo'd subarus up to 1998 (upto and including the STI 4). The Phase II are for all turbos from 1999 onwards till the STI 9.

Phase I has an cast-iron block, while heavier, is a lot stronger and is best for power modifications.

The Phase II is more sensitive as it is a lighter block using a different manufacturing process. Naturally, internals such as pistons, cranks etc aren't easily swapped between the two...but Turbos/IC's/ and external ancilliaries are possible, although may need modification.

To distinguish between the two:

"Look down at the block just behind where the power steering pump use to be located. You will see the words "Japan". Just in front of that will be either 1 ridge or 2 ridges (approx. 3-4 inches long) If there is one ridge, it's a phase 2 block, if there are two ridges it's a phase 1 block."

Myth: Phase II is better than Phase I

While Phase II is a newer engine, when talking modifications Phase I takes trumps

Myth: Conversions are easily done

While the mechanical side is easily carried out, the structural difference between the chassis types are significant. WRX and EVOs come with specific reinforcments to cope with the power jump. This includes the safety cell (ie. passenger area). Additionally the ECU in EVO/WRXs are made to work the relevant SRS safety components of the same type of car- this could (read: could, not is) be compromised in a conversion scenario.

That said, you could double the fun factor of a basic lancer or Impreza car by spending 200-400k.

Not a bad deal- my suggestion is to however spend an extra 50k and see where you can also ensure safety.

That said, you could double the fun factor of a basic lancer or Impreza car by spending 200-400k.

Not a bad deal- my suggestion is to however spend an extra 50k and see where you can also ensure safety.

The Bang for the buck deal is quite true.... Other alternative of course is to just be patient and snag one of the original cars when they come on to the market

To that end, Gunat... I call first dibs on yours if and when you decide to part with it! :lol:

well as i know WRX runs .6 bar boost and STi .9, anyway comparing Original STI's and conversions, well people buy STI's cus they love the car and for the power, when i did my conversion there was Original STi 4 or 5 for sale around 1,7 range, still i did my conversion cus there are very very few very well maintain, not hacked and crashed GC8's in SL

we all know all the Gud GC8's are not for sale, so even thers original STI for sale, if i t crashed badly and repaired, hacked whats the use of buying it ? Does this so calld ORIGINAL word give u extra power and make sure its accident proof ? i also agree originals are better, but very well maintained ones with not big accidents are better, if not then conversions, im pretty sure Conversions are faster than original cus of the weight fact

you and i both know what you can do , so that you & i both can end up happy no machan ;)

:lol:

oh no...i'm not doing what i can do if it means you going and doing stupid things afterwards...i will only do it if you promise to do something equally flashy with the "benefits" of what i have done... :D