• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Armoured Truck Project

MasterDon

guys,me and my dad have been nursing this idea of building an armoured truck replica for sometime,we already have a old isuzu and leyland a chasis lying about,and i talked to some off road buffs around kelaniya and some other guys and most think the leyland chasis is ideal,but i dont like it cos it's too high off the ground,i think using the old elf 350 will give it a gutsy and a mean look...i know it will not have the capabilities of the real thing but we're only going for the looks...

any ideas of how we should approach this?

i'm looking for something along these lines

astratatrapanarmouredtrhx0.jpg

m1078fmtvlsacbelue1iu1.jpg

trcukusarmywitharmouruptc8.jpg

1zzoytf.jpg

Edited by HelRazor

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys,me and my dad have been nursing this idea of building an armoured truck replica for sometime,we already have a old isuzu and leyland a chasis lying about,and i talked to some off road buffs around kelaniya and some other guys and most think the leyland chasis is ideal,but i dont like it cos it's too high off the ground,i think using the old elf 350 will give it a gutsy and a mean look...i know it will not have the capabilities of the real thing but we're only going for the looks...

Cool idea mate :)

I have no idea how you go about it but i'm sure somebody else here would have some thoughts on it :P

LOL

it is very do-able machang..according to my calculations a budget of around 200k will be enough for the job... :)

This is very do-able ne. Well the 4 wheeled version at least the 6 wheel one might be a bit tricky. All you need to do is to build the body around the existing chassis. What would be good would be to do some drawings for it Autocad? or 3d model it then you can use those drawings for manufacturing. Have you got the running gear from the Leyland? axles?

Like you said the first thing to do is to find a suitable chassy and engine (probably together and hopefully with a cabin intact)

If you find an old army truck or anything with 4WD running gear then all the better.

The second stage is to basically rebuild the cabin. You can approach this in 2 ways.

1. To build a cabin using something like fiber glass arround the existing cabin (so purely cosmetic).

2. If you are feeling bold and a good metal bender you could create the cabin from scratch around the existing sub frame.

just some ideas

This is very do-able ne. Well the 4 wheeled version at least the 6 wheel one might be a bit tricky. All you need to do is to build the body around the existing chassis. What would be good would be to do some drawings for it Autocad? or 3d model it then you can use those drawings for manufacturing. Have you got the running gear from the Leyland? axles?

no machang,the leyland only has the basic chasis,but the isuzu has all the bits including a 4.5ltr turbo moter,that's why i'm leaning more toward using the isuzu.i'm thinking about the doing the truck bit(back) out of wood...and then modifying a old isuzu front cabin with steel bits representing the armour complete with fake big nuts...a reconditioned isuzu cabin(tubelight model) can be bought for around 20k...the doors can be also cut and modified to open upwards

i will have to keep the FR layout for now cos coverting to 4wd will be a big job....i

Like you said the first thing to do is to find a suitable chassy and engine (probably together and hopefully with a cabin intact)

If you find an old army truck or anything with 4WD running gear then all the better.

The second stage is to basically rebuild the cabin. You can approach this in 2 ways.

1. To build a cabin using something like fiber glass arround the existing cabin (so purely cosmetic).

2. If you are feeling bold and a good metal bender you could create the cabin from scratch around the existing sub frame.

just some ideas

the fibre thing is a good idea don..i didnt think of that...i'll chat up some of the fibre guys i know...gotta be someone who has alot of imagination too...but the back bit will have to be made of wood cos i can do that without a lot of money.

i'll have to ditch the 4wd idea cos i dont' have the buck these days to go for a another chasis...

Edited by HelRazor

no machang,the leyland only has the basic chasis,but the isuzu has all the bits including a 4.5ltr turbo moter,that's why i'm leaning more toward using the isuzu.i'm thinking about the doing the truck bit(back) out of wood...and then modifying a old isuzu front cabin with steel bits representing the armour complete with fake big nuts...a reconditioned isuzu cabin(tubelight model) can be bought for around 20k...the doors can be also cut and modified to open upwards

i will have to keep the FR layout for now cos coverting to 4wd will be a big job....i

Bro nice if you can do it.

hey hey are u going to hook her up with a big engine and 5 inch thick armour plates? :P

and tyres with a steel core that you can get away even if the rubber is blown off? machang that will be patta sira :jumping-smiley-013:

maybe u can hook up a anti aircraft gun or sumthing :violent-smiley-030:

just kidding bro anyways go ahead we at AL are waiting to see that beauty.

All d best bro :alc:

Bro nice if you can do it.

hey hey are u going to hook her up with a big engine and 5 inch thick armour plates? :P

and tyres with a steel core that you can get away even if the rubber is blown off? machang that will be patta sira :jumping-smiley-013:

maybe u can hook up a anti aircraft gun or sumthing :violent-smiley-030:

just kidding bro anyways go ahead we at AL are waiting to see that beauty.

All d best bro :alc:

thanks machang

nobody has tried to kill me yet with a rocket launcher so 5" thick plates be waste ne :P:lol:

you mentioned something that gives me the shivers..the tyres..sourcing 4 big treaded offroad tyres will set me back a lot... :( even second hand one's are expensive...i'll have to run on skinny ass one's untill find some

Edited by HelRazor

you mentioned something that gives me the shivers..the tyres..sourcing 4 big treaded offroad tyres will set me back a lot... :( even second hand one's are expensive...i'll have to run on skinny ass one's untill find some

just curious will it cost more than 125k for 4 good off road tyres?

just curious will it cost more than 125k for 4 good off road tyres?

i honestly dunno much about 4x4 tyres...but someone i know bought four huge R15 maxxis brand new tyres under 60000/- recently for his bj60...so i dont think it'll go as high as 100k :)

bro what ever you do be cairful. cant trust these stupid Sri Lankan ppl they might lock you up if u make a replica of one of above trucks. :angry-smiley-024: threat to our national security :ninja:

yeah i've thought about that..but it won't be an exact replica,cos i will add some of my own touches to it..and by the fact that the modified parts will have no practical use,except to look pretty...it'll be like one of those heavily modified jeeps like osanda's ride...anyways most probably it will never come near big towns.

but who knows anything can happen in sl ne... :(...but it wont stop me from trying :)

Edited by HelRazor

...it'll be like one of those heavily modified jeeps like osanda's ride...

Yeah like that 6 weel jeep. last week i saw it running with a small trailor attached to it and on top of the trailor they had badly damaged car :P

but who knows anything can happen in sl ne...

Thats why they call it "Sri Lanka Land like no other :P "

...it'll be like one of those heavily modified jeeps like osanda's ride...

Yeah like that 6 weel jeep. last week i saw it running with a small trailor attached to it and on top of the trailor they had badly damaged car :P

but who knows anything can happen in sl ne...

Thats why they call it "Sri Lanka Land like no other :P "

Very true! - the best thing that ever came out of Renton De Alwis's mouth, that line :D

as for the 6 Wheeled Land Rover - its not 'modified' - it was originally built in that form!

interestingly though , just this afternoon i saw a recent Defender 130 which usually comes with a cannopy or open rear load bay , customized to look like a CSW ! :)

that abomination started life as a SII Petrol didn't it...

5 Sri plate or something right?

i dont know the exact model machang...but yes it looked like a normal LR in the begining...was there when it was being cut up and was horrified...but i like the end result(lookswise)...

Edited by HelRazor

i dont know the exact model machang...but yes it looked like a normal LR in the begining...was there when it was being cut up and was horrified...but i like the end result(lookswise)...

I went to this guys garage about 1 year back with one of my friends.At that thime there was another 6 weel LR there.( they were making it or somthing) but have never seen it on road.I see that silver colour one atleast once a week.

I see diffrent LRs around kiribathgoda Without NUMBER PLATES :ninja:

once saw osanda driving a 2 door blue culour subaru that looks really cool :)