• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Intercooler Mystery Apparatus

isam

Thanks for reading my post.

Can you experts please tell me what this apparatus is? (Marked in red) I'm clueless :unsure:

I've seen this with many Intercoolers but the one on my jeep does not have it. Want to know what it does...

1234323591.jpg

The Intercooler on my jeep looks like this:

318254811431.jpg

Join the Club bros...

From the exterior looks of it, the tube like thing (marked in red) is just a metal tube with one end sealed and the other end connected to a 'T' joint. The 'T' Joint is fixed to the air intake of the Intercooler which is coming from the Turbo.

1234347802.jpg

:blink:

Edited by isam

Thanks for reading my post.

Can you experts please tell me what this apparatus is? (Marked in red) I'm clueless :unsure:

I've seen this with many Intercoolers but the one on my jeep does not have it. Want to know what it does...

1234323591.jpg

The Intercooler on my jeep looks like this:

in some turbocharged cars like Evo II and III there is a pipe goin to a box after the intercooler, as i heard its there to trap if theres any dust in the intake system, that will prevent any dust goin to the engine, im not 100% sure abt it but if u have a clear pic, chech where that pipe ends,

Or else there must a be a blow off valve conected end to the pipe, so if u can post a clear pic where that pipe ends it will be very easy to find

i doubt thats the wastegate.. as i cant see where its fitted to.. and also typicall the wastegate doesnt go threre.

wastagate is located very close to the turbo and if the pipe is that long the acurator need to be a long one,

could it be a blow off valve? but you dont get those things on a diesel do you?

Can't be, because the tube like thing (the mystery component) is sealed at the other end.

I've been wading around the net searching a solution, and it seems that you don't fix blow off valves to Diesels because Diesel engines operate at a higher pressure. What I've heard is "If you fix a blow off valve chances are it will be spitting out too much air, that the engine would choke for air due to low psi".

:wacko:

Edited by isam

maybe it's there to act like a blowoff valve but not exactly? If there's air passing by the port that leads to that pipe, it'll create a vacuum in the pipe. When you let go of the throttle and the throttle blade closes, the surge of air has nowhere to go but slam against the throttle blade; therefore the canister takes some of that shock by letting some of that pressure relieve itself within the pipe ... Actually, this makes more sense in a natuarally aspirated setup than a turbo setup ... errr, am I talking baloney here! Either that or it's there as a muffler to reduce the sound of the air charge like in most N/A cars. I'll check with some other friends to see if they know ... what's kinda vehicle is this???

Edited by Mean Green z28

There is a similar unit in the Mazda Interplay's. It is connected to the air filter box & runs into a dead end over the radiator, i was curious to know what this unit was about but no one was able to calify it for me.

Sorry, i don't have the pic of the engine bay to post it to make it easy for some explanation :(

I think "Mean green" is correct. You need some path for the air to travel until the turbo spools down. IMHO it also holds a little extra air for the first time when you start the engine and the turbo-fan is still off. I had a similar but plastic version in my vigor or accord...

It still amazes me to learn new things about cars and combustion engines...

Can't be, because the tube like thing (the mystery component) is sealed at the other end.

I've been wading around the net searching a solution, and it seems that you don't fix blow off valves to Diesels because Diesel engines operate at a higher pressure. What I've heard is "If you fix a blow off valve chances are it will be spitting out too much air, that the engine would choke for air due to low psi".

:wacko:

for me it was just a theory until now :P

anyways i got a hunch here its an oil catch tank of some sort. did u try taking it apart?

or maybe, as dhp says its probably some way to catch the air from flowing back through the spooling turbo blades when the throttle valve shuts

to add to my previous comment after doing a bit more digging ... on a n/a car (not boosted) the box/tube you usually see (also called a resonator, much like what a muffler does) is there to quiet down the sound of the intake air flowing through the main tubing, and on a boosted car, it's probably there to prevent compressor surge. On the new Mustang, the car was so quiet on the inside, they actually ran the tube to the firewall so it feeds the driver with some sound to at least "feel" like the car has power (not that it doesn't, but we all lover the "sound" right?).

Example ... in the pic below of a engine bay, look at the tube running from the from to the intake manifold and you'll see a huge box sticking to both sides of the tubing.

... hold up, looking for it

it's the first pic on this post...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost....mp;postcount=28

Edited by Mean Green z28

maybe it's there to act like a blowoff valve but not exactly? If there's air passing by the port that leads to that pipe, it'll create a vacuum in the pipe. When you let go of the throttle and the throttle blade closes, the surge of air has nowhere to go but slam against the throttle blade; therefore the canister takes some of that shock by letting some of that pressure relieve itself within the pipe ... Actually, this makes more sense in a natuarally aspirated setup than a turbo setup ... errr, am I talking baloney here! Either that or it's there as a muffler to reduce the sound of the air charge like in most N/A cars. I'll check with some other friends to see if they know ... what's kinda vehicle is this???

This is a 4D56T with an intercooler, on a Pajero

Guess you are right mean green.

to add to my previous comment after doing a bit more digging ... on a n/a car (not boosted) the box/tube you usually see (also called a resonator, much like what a muffler does) is there to quiet down the sound of the intake air flowing through the main tubing, and on a boosted car, it's probably there to prevent compressor surge. On the new Mustang, the car was so quiet on the inside, they actually ran the tube to the firewall so it feeds the driver with some sound to at least "feel" like the car has power (not that it doesn't, but we all lover the "sound" right?).

Example ... in the pic below of a engine bay, look at the tube running from the from to the intake manifold and you'll see a huge box sticking to both sides of the tubing.

... hold up, looking for it

it's the first pic on this post...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost....mp;postcount=28

hey can u pls post more info how the tubing help to prevent compressor surge ?

Yup, these are 4 pot 1.5L DOHC engines.

My bet is with Mean Green z28

I removed mine too n used it for RAM. hmmmmmm So its not only for Turbos but for NAs as well. :blink:

Whats dis for? Its hosed' between the air filter n the engine. Is it to regulate pressure? or carry out excess air back to the filter from throttle body(butterfly)? or is it totally OT? <_<

photo0005shn7.th.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I got one of these tubes from Wijerama spares shop and checked the insides, guess what? it was an empty tube ^_^

So, the final conclusion is:

When the turbo is on full spin the tube like thing will be a vacuum. The air mass pumped from the turbo will be pushed into the engine. When the driver let go of the throttle, the turbo is still spinning at a high speed but the pumped air has nowhere to go because the engine is not accepting it. The tube like thing would come to aid at this point providing a compartment for this extra bit of air trapped in the system. All in all the tube like thing is a pressure regulator.

Many thanks for all your input.