• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Way To Change Automatic Transmission Fluid

xXx

Use the new method as the old system would not flush out all the transmission fluid in your transmission. If you are unable to get you car serviced at a service with these facilities then use the conventional method, but make sure that you change it more often..say every 30000 km as opposed to 60000km. :)

Edited by GearHead

Use the new method as the old system would not flush out all the transmission fluid in your transmission. If you are unable to get you car serviced at a service with these facilities then use the conventional method, but make sure that you change it more often..say every 30000 km as opposed to 60000km. :)

can you please explain these methods gearhead? this is something i would usually overlook

Is this similar to changing Engine oil. I've heard that the conventional method is better for changing engine oil, :unsure:

How do you check when to change gear oil. (If you are not sure abt the milage)

Is this similar to changing Engine oil. I've heard that the conventional method is better for changing engine oil, :unsure:

gear oil is something commonly overlooked

usually ppl just top up if they realize there is a drop in the level when inspected at service

as a policy i change ALL the lubricants & fluids at the time of purchase just so i can start off from scratch and then maintain my own records with documented change intervals

The best way is to "flush" the system by getting a fluid exchange machine and hooking it up somewhere in the transmission cooler lines that run to the radiator. Any other way of doing it doesn't guarantee that much of the fluid is being replaced since there's always gonna be old fluid hanging around inside the transmission and torque converter that don't drain easily by sucking fluid through the dipstick tube or dropping the oil pan. A typical fluid exchange machine works by using a cylinder with a bladder with a line going into each side. When you turn the system on (and the car is running in neutral), the car/trans pumps the old fluid into one side of the cylinder and that causes the good fluid on the other side to be pushed (buy the bladder system) into the return line, so you're effectively taking all the old fluid out. Now it still isn't 100% 'cos a bit of the old fluid still gets mixed with the new stuff inside the trans, but it's the best way; save taking the trans apart and washing everything and putting it back together ... lol.

I use this "flush method" to flush my Power steering too. I turn the wheel to full lock to one side, remove the return line from the rack and direct it into an empty container, get some help to start/stop the car and fill the fluid into the reservoir (you gonna be quick and turn the car off quick as you finish flushing the system; or everything overflows, ask me how I know ... lol) when the engine's running and pumping the fluid through the rack.

Edited by Mean Green z28

planning on using an ATF exchanger myself - so feedback on whether its good or not would be appreciated

For your carina right? unless you decided to swap the transmission in your Z to an auto...which is of course highly unlikely :lol:

I suggest that you gt it done using an ATF exchanger. The only drawback is that it waste a bit of oil during the flushing process. But thats just a small price to pay when you think of the cost of a new gearbox..

Edited by GearHead

The nest obvious question being " Where can we get this done ? "

Most of the new service joints have these new machines and other stuff...Which area are you living in?You can get it done at Pitstop in borella.

http://www.amwltd.com/pitstop/html/price_list.htm

Edited by GearHead

There is no way to check when to change the oil. If you are not sure about when was the last change and the mileage, the best way is to just change it and keep records for future. (Some people see the color of the ATF but I don't know how reliable it is)

BTW What is the best PAS oil brand in town?

and

Which is the return line to the PAS oil reservoir, Is that the one connected to the pump? or the other?

Edited by Bharath

There is no way to check when to change the oil. If you are not sure about when was the last change and the mileage, the best way is to just change it and keep records for future. (Some people see the color of the ATF but I don't know how reliable it is)

BTW What is the best PAS oil brand in town?

and

Which is the return line to the PAS oil reservoir, Is that the one connected to the pump? or the other?

jump

Edited by Bharath

Why I don't see anybody mentioning about those small magnets inside the AT gear box? I don't think it is possible to clean them with any of those suckers.

Also I don't see anybody mentioning 'DEXRON' together with preferred brand AT fluid.

My bad if everybody aware of these perfectly thus no need to discuss.

Also I don't see anybody mentioning 'DEXRON' together with preferred brand AT fluid.

As far as I know the Dexron is required only for the latest ATs and only when it's required on the user manual....like the Dexron III can use up to 100k.

But not for all the ATs right?