• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Smell From Ac

pissa

Question

ppl!, I get a bad smell from the AC. it's kinda like the smell you get from wet cloths, which are left undried for a long time. The funny thing is it comes only during the night!...nothing during the morning or during day time. at night it comes as soon as the AC is switched on...stays for about 5 mins and disappears..

any ideas??? (the AC as well as the Car is pretty new, about 1 year old)

10 answers to this question

ppl!, I get a bad smell from the AC. it's kinda like the smell you get from wet cloths, which are left undried for a long time. The funny thing is it comes only during the night!...nothing during the morning or during day time. at night it comes as soon as the AC is switched on...stays for about 5 mins and disappears..

Do you mean the car is only one year old? First of all what car is it?

I guess something to deal with your AC system.

1) Put some chemicals and Wash your cabin air filter.

2) If it does not work, get your AC system cleaned.

Let us know if this works. :)

I was gonna say the same,

Check the cabin air filter which is underneath your dash board..(passenger side) and clean if necessary (its a DIY job).

If this doesn't work out go for a AC service with Odor Buster. Last year I did a AC service at A*W with Odor Buster and it cost me Rs4200 and its really good.

I think what you are smelling is condensation from the evaporator coil which is trapped within the evaporator enclosure (since SL is a very humid country). It is possible the drain from the evaporator enclosure is blocked or simply not draining as it used to. The next time you do a full AC service mention this and tell them to clean the full system up and check if the drain is working as it should.

I think what you are smelling is condensation from the evaporator coil which is trapped within the evaporator enclosure (since SL is a very humid country). It is possible the drain from the evaporator enclosure is blocked or simply not draining as it used to. The next time you do a full AC service mention this and tell them to clean the full system up and check if the drain is working as it should.

Yeah but he smells only in the night.. :(

So why the so called gecko smells only in the night then?

Hmm.. i strongly suspect this as fungi buildup inside Evaporator coil.. (dust inside the cabin get sucked up inside evap coil with water) try using your heater and blower at maximum (without anyone inside the car of course) for say 10 Min's.. see if it goes away.. or else do the hard way just as the Don said.. :rolleyes: if it's corolla 121 with Cabin filter try replace it.. but remember the damn thing cost you around 9k at agents.. i still couldn't found a VIC equalant for that.. :unsure:

Edited by Ruslan

thanks guys for your ideas....i try to do a DIY and clean up a bit. if not i'll get it checked. as noted what really confuses me is the fact that it comes only during the night....

so as don and ruslan said maybe it has something to do with evaporator coil...as in during the day, the sun takes care of it and night the smell comes until the car is heated up. (it goes away after 5 mins..) so i guess once it heats up the evaporation happens...

i'll check with the AC sevice. prolly take it to the agents...

once again thanks everyone.