• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Rack Oil Leak

Kasuncp

Question

Hi Guys,

I Have a KIA Spectra. There is a Oil Leak in the Steering Rack. My Mechanic gave me two options.

1. Replace the Steering Rack with a Recondition one.

2. Change the Oil Seal of the Rack.

As he said, some times by Replacing the Oil Seal is not working. and Finding a recondition one is little bit difficult for KIA. What is the best thing I have to do.

Please advice me.

Regards,

Kasun

5 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

I Have a KIA Spectra. There is a Oil Leak in the Steering Rack. My Mechanic gave me two options.

1. Replace the Steering Rack with a Recondition one.

2. Change the Oil Seal of the Rack.

As he said, some times by Replacing the Oil Seal is not working. and Finding a recondition one is little bit difficult for KIA. What is the best thing I have to do.

Please advice me.

Regards,

Kasun

I guess our forum member ripper had the same prob not so long ago. infact it's a Corolla. but I'm sure he can give you some light. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

I guess our forum member ripper had the same prob not so long ago. infact it's a Corolla. but I'm sure he can give you some light. :rolleyes:

heh heh... thanks for the intro mate :) :)

in my experience... the bushes are the fibre/rubber bushes inside the rack that needs replacement. it's sold as a "rack repair kit"

what they do is somewhat similar to a piston replacement job... they would bore your rack to take in the new seals that are slightly larger than the old ones... the hitch is that the boring process and the seal will only work if you center arm/rod is not damaged... If it damaged oil will still seep through there...

I too was given the same option you are given my your mechanic...

I opted for the "repair kit" since we know what really goes into the "fix" than getting a recon rack which too might fail cos you really can't judge the condition of it from the outside...

at least for the corolla, the recon rack is a cheaper option than the "repair kit" plus the labor costs... racks are found on almost all of those recon parts shops and usually cost from 7500~12500... the repair job cost me over 15k :)

And so far...no issues!

I made my decision the way i did since my car is a 93 model one... it was produced in japan for 93-97 so even recon parts are off quite old cars. so naturally the "repair kit" was the better option in many ways...

If your car is a newer model...maybe going for a recon rack might be a better bet for you... but it will take some searching since parts for your model isn't as common as for a toyota like mine...

good luck! :)

Thanks, In my case I Had the Leak for about 2 weeks and then suddenly it was OK. there was no oil leak at all. then I Got a sound when i drive in rough roads. After my mechanic look at it he told that the bush have broken (This is another Issue), I have to replace the bush.

Yesterday when i take the car out, i saw that again their is a small leak. that's why i thought of repair this.

Will it ok after replacing the "Repair KIT" normally how much is it?

Regards,

Kasun

Thanks, In my case I Had the Leak for about 2 weeks and then suddenly it was OK. there was no oil leak at all. then I Got a sound when i drive in rough roads. After my mechanic look at it he told that the bush have broken (This is another Issue), I have to replace the bush.

Yesterday when i take the car out, i saw that again their is a small leak. that's why i thought of repair this.

Will it ok after replacing the "Repair KIT" normally how much is it?

Regards,

Kasun

if it's from the bushes within the rack the leak will get worse and worse over time... i don't see how it can stop even for a day or so...

just check if all you hoses etc are also in good shape... additional to the rack, one of the hoses was also cracked up in my case..got that too replaced...

the rack repair kit was somewhere around 5k+... It worked for my ride but yours will depend on what sorta issue you present rack is having