• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ratnapura And Lancers!

rman2000

I'm sure we all know that Ratnapura is quite famous for the huge no of well maintained Lancer Box model cars

any idea as to why its like that ? any particular reason/s?

One reason a guy known to me gave was that the since Ratnapura side has a lot of bends the old Lancers have been the best suited to run those. Not sure of though, also it is said that most Galant SIgma's found their original homes in Ratnapura for the same reason.

Another reason for finding good condition Lancer Box models would be due to the availability of spares in that area along with mechanics who know how to deal with them. Mine had used a lot of parts bought in Ratnapura, had receipts as well.

I call it the land of Lancers.

Another theory is that certain cars became an instant fad. One gem merchant buys one and it instantly becomes the accepted benchmark. When an instant millionaire is born after finding a stone or too, he wants a car but knows nothing about them. Safest bet is to follow thy neighbour. One of my pals from the town has told me how people just wanna keep up with the Jones'.

I remember when I was little I used to spend my holidays in Avissawella with my aunt and unc. I used to watch cars fly past on the Ratnapura road and the Gem deals on Sundays. Initially there were loads of Peugeots 504s and 404s. Then there were swarms of Datsun 120Ys :o

Then came the "box" and it took over!

Another theory is that certain cars became an instant fad. One gem merchant buys one and it instantly becomes the accepted benchmark. When an instant millionaire is born after finding a stone or too, he wants a car but knows nothing about them. Safest bet is to follow thy neighbour. One of my pals from the town has told me how people just wanna keep up with the Jones'.

I remember when I was little I used to spend my holidays in Avissawella with my aunt and unc. I used to watch cars fly past on the Ratnapura road and the Gem deals on Sundays. Initially there were loads of Peugeots 504s and 404s. Then there were swarms of Datsun 120Ys :o

Then came the "box" and it took over!

i think the landcruiser 100 has been the current trend for sometime.

• 2 months later...
i think the landcruiser 100 has been the current trend for sometime.

yup dats true i got a 1st gen lancer....GL super custom........in great condition from ratnapura....which in a home of a gem dealer......

it even has RPM and Sports steering......

are you refering to the so called 'I' light model or the flat light model?

why not upload a picture of it,btw how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

yup dats true i got a 1st gen lancer....GL super custom........in great condition from ratnapura....which in a home of a gem dealer......

Friends,

I was born in Rathnapura and i was their more than 10 years, in mid 1980's that is da most comfort and best looking car in town and 1 of the famous Gem dealer had a Red beeding model box, that is not the first in town but the owner of the car is V.famous and rich dealer, then all the others try to get a box somehow, as well as the Lancer box u can find da Honda CD 200's and CM125 in showroom condition at Rathnapura.

Now I need to see a picture of that.

There is a Lancer "Box" turbo-Black colour-formerly owned by my dad found her new gemland owner in 1986.Still there I guess.Number is 13 sri 1337 or 1397.

MINIACE

Was it a GSR? What does your dad say about it?

Was it a GSR? What does your dad say about it?

Guess its a GSR & capacity was 1.8l if Im not mistaken.Had a big front bumper (odd I thought those days) and Minilite type alloys.Should be able to dig a picture or two soon.Dad was never a fan of her.

MINIACE

Guess its a GSR & capacity was 1.8l if Im not mistaken.Had a big front bumper (odd I thought those days) and Minilite type alloys.Should be able to dig a picture or two soon.Dad was never a fan of her.

MINIACE

Oh must have been the thirst for fuel? Or there must have been about a minute of turbo lag..... Those old school turbos.... could be scary :rolleyes: