• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Nano - First Drive

Supra_Natural

First Drive: Tata Nano

The Nano has been the most anticipated car in our short automotive history and could arguably be the most important too. After its rock-star reception at the Delhi Auto Expo over a year ago, the Nano has had a tough gestation period. It lost its home in Singur and until the new factory is built in Sanand, it will be produced in limited numbers in a makeshift facility within Tata Motors’ Pantnagar plant in Uttarakhand. The ensuing delay has only created more anticipation and excitement and questions have been flying thick and fast. Does Tata’s little Nano drive and feel like a real car? Can it provide the comfort, performance and security expected of it?After a full day of driving through Pune city, on the highway and on rural back roads, we have the answers.

The Nano is quite a looker. Not only because of the hype it has generated, but because the car looks really good. It looks far more expensive than it is and that itself is half the battle won. This cute looking hatchback is sure to go down well with everyone. The Nano’s mantra somewhat goes with the Indica’s philosophy of giving more for less. For its diminutive size, the Nano is very big on space for its passengers. Clever use of space has meant that headroom and legroom is not only adequate but more than some bigger hatchbacks as well.

The Nano is powered by a 624cc two cylinder petrol engine. It puts out a modest 35bhp (similar to 800) and 4.9kgm of torque. It isn’t quick, but quite adequate for city use and even peppy in the city. It will hit a top speed of 106kph and takes 29.7 seconds to hit 100kph and isn’t very different from driving an 800. Refinement levels are acceptable and vibrations are damped well enough too. Although we haven’t been able to put it through our fuel tests, but we expect it to give about 18kpl in the city which further backs up its economy tag.

Riding on small 12inch wheels and tubeless tyres, the Nano rides surprisingly well. Most bumps are rounded nicely, but as the speeds climb the ride can get a little choppy. The steering has a little vagueness around the centre position, dial in more lock; it feels direct and provides good feedback as well. Grip levels are decent but are limited by the narrow tyres. Straightline stability is also commendable.

So is it a proper car? Yes, it definitely is. It offers better space than even a Santro at the front, while backseat space is quite decent. Comfort levels are good and it will come with an efficient engine as well. It isn’t perfect; owners will want more power and a 5-speed gearbox. But Tata has achieved what it had set out to do – Affordable motoring for the masses.

You can book one for as low as Rs 2,999. The base version of the Tata Nano is priced at Rs 1,23,360, the CX version is for Rs 1,51,360 and the fully loaded LX version is for Rs 1,72,360 (ex-showroom Delhi). Finance is available for even 7 year periods at interest rates of 11.7-12% which makes it affordable for almost anyone. Deliveries will begin in July and booking forms are available for Rs 300.

Features

The Nano is available in three variants – Nano, Nano CX and Nano LX. The base Nano is a bare bones model and doesn’t get any creature comforts. Even the passenger seat backrest is fixed. The CX gets interior mouldings, air-conditioner and tinted glass. The top-end LX gets front power windows, sunvisors, body coloured bumpers, central locking and fog lamps.

Performance

0-60 - 9.1seconds 0-100 - 29.7seconds Top speed - 106kph 20-80 (3rd gear) - 20.45seconds 40-100 (4th gear) - 46.38seconds

Braking (80-0) - 33.66m 3.07seconds

Courtesy: Autocar India

tatanano03.jpg

tatanano3.jpg

nanointeriorphoto3.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is the export launch? D*MO is very silent about this isnt it?

MINIACE

I think export launch will be sometime away, notice that even in the article it says its currently "limited production", I guess because of the factory issues they had... If the car is as good as this article makes it out to be (cant be TOO sure, since Tata is a big advertiser for Autocar India, so they might not want to be nasty about it and lose the revenue), then demand in india alone will be huge, so it'll take a while for supply to catch up.

When is the export launch? D*MO is very silent about this isnt it?

MINIACE

I guess this would cost three time more than its actual value... with taxes of cause.

I think Tata are onto something great here. A revolution. They might not be able to export it so soon as there's bound to be a huge rush in India itself. So far all the reviews have been very good. I had my doubts at the begining, but looks like they've made it happen. Great!

SL better start building a LOT more roads before this is unleashed on our market!

thats exactly my point.

after that post i had to go off and dance to britney spears's hit me baby one more time for 2 hours straight make that rush go away <_<

dumb indians!

man, you DO have some VERY strange habits! :unsure:

thats exactly my point.

after that post i had to go off and dance to britney spears's hit me baby one more time for 2 hours straight make that rush go away <_<

dumb indians!

u still dancing for Britney ? shes over man, now dance for lady GaGa's music :action-smiley-060:

jimmy kimmel talking about the nano.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI_32xjDMH0

yeah Circus has nice lyrics and video is not bad, but for my eyes Lady GaGa is super Sexy :action-smiley-060:

eeeek!!!! :blink::P

now katy perry...that there is a looker...not a big fan of her music though... :D

last night i was told by 2 spanish girls at a party i'm gay for listening to lady gaga :D

ouch!!! :lol:

Edited by HelRazor

now katy perry...that there is a looker...not a big fan of her music though... :D

what u think abt Keri Hilson, i relaly like how she dance and dressed in the video "Keri Hilson Feat. Lil Wayne - Turnin Me On", Oh my God we goin OT :lol:

Edited by GihanFX

Ha, Christina Aguilera and Lady Gaga look like clones!

Aguilera later claimed she was "completely unaware of this person" and even "didn't know if it [Gaga] is a man or a woman". Afterward Gaga released a statement where she welcomed the comparisons because the media attention had provided useful publicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_GaGa