• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Clutch-less Shifting

Saturn

Just recently started to try to teach myself clutch-less shifting (not sure what the technical term is) but I just mean shifting gears without pressing the clutch (except for 1st I guess)

Seem's like a fun thing.. and helps me understand the car better,,

Just want to know if anyone here tries that..

Edited by Saturn

Just recently started to try to teach myself clutch-less shifting (not sure what the technical term is) but I just mean shifting gears without pressing the clutch (except for 1st I guess)

Seem's like a fun thing.. and helps me understand the car better,,

Just want to know if anyone here tries that..

i've done this many times over on my bike...

after watching "dust to glory" a documentary about the baja 1000..i've realized that most folks, especially racers don't clutch unless they absolutely have to... apart from the first gear they usually don't use the clutch to shift...

I'm assuming there's a slight time gain but keeping out the the clutch part and also save up on heavy wear on the clutch...especially on endurance racing..

but gotta say though i've tested it a few times, don't really feel comfy not clutching :P

i've done this many times over on my bike...

after watching "dust to glory" a documentary about the baja 1000..i've realized that most folks, especially racers don't clutch unless they absolutely have to... apart from the first gear they usually don't use the clutch to shift...

I'm assuming there's a slight time gain but keeping out the the clutch part and also save up on heavy wear on the clutch...especially on endurance racing..

but gotta say though i've tested it a few times, don't really feel comfy not clutching :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OtMvwwDTIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfpmSwF0j90...feature=related

Interesting stuff....

Edited by Kavvz

also save up on heavy wear on the clutch...especially on endurance racing..

yeah in racing you can afford to, but in day to day driving you can't afford to harm the gearbox can you? i think clutch less gear change is harmful for gearboxes with synchronizes, rather modern gearboxes

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Not crazy relevant, but the dude certainly has some great footwork going....

if u have a spare car u can always try this... but dont recommend it... its quite a hard thing to master..

i think the original posting about "clutchless shifting" and "double clutching" are two different things innit?

according to many web sites/articles/blogs and the likes...double clutching is the safest for almost any tranny... providing you know how to do it properly :rolleyes:

done this when driving an old EL plates Austin A35 one of my aunts had, just because the clutch was non hydraulic and so d@mn hard to press :angry-smiley-030:

besides, I was forced to drive that car against my free will quite often so couldn't care less ;) . Was fun though but can get nasty gear grinding when you get it wrong

i think the original posting about "clutchless shifting" and "double clutching" are two different things innit?

Yeah my bad, I came across that video when youtubing the intricacies of rev matching and couldn't resist posting it. Seriously the bugger's heel-and-toe action is just a joy to watch...(sorry if I muddied the waters a bit though, in hindsight I guess that clip should have been tossed on the post-whoring thread instead).

i do it sometimes when i feel lazy. but its very very easy to get it wrong. its different from to car and it works at only a certain speed plus u have to get the speed of the gear change just rite. once u r used to it you can change it by feel. but i don't think we should practice it that often.