• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol Prices Up From Tonight

needforspeed

Light is on, drove 20Km so far...

Start shifting only odd gears(1, 3, 5) and rpm no more than 3K. fingers crossed

tad OT, but curiosity question: wouldnt skipping gears mean u'll be burning more fuel. You'll be working on lower revs but still to keep the engine from stalling and to pick up you need to give some more fuel into the mixture. Do correct me if i'm wrong, but low RPM wont always mean burning lesser fuel. Right?

Sorry again about going OT...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tad OT, but curiosity question: wouldnt skipping gears mean u'll be burning more fuel. You'll be working on lower revs but still to keep the engine from stalling and to pick up you need to give some more fuel into the mixture. Do correct me if i'm wrong, but low RPM wont always mean burning lesser fuel. Right?

Yes but he won't be shifting in such a way that he's picking up from near stall point in 3rd and then in 5th. There's always a little overlap in the power bands even between alternating gear ratios. So you'd only have to rev the engine twice (assuming you're going to cruise in 5th), instead of 4 times.

Edited by terrabytetango

I too think, that more than short shifting, its about how heavy your foot is. I've been driving ultra light footed these days. So has me ol man. (he's always like that though :lol: ) also been shifting under 2000 and keeping the foot very light. and moment i hit about 70 km/h on 5th, I immediatly back off the throttle and let it coast (on 5th itself) Keeping it on gear and coasting doesnt burn any fuel at all. Whereas neutraling it will use a tiny bit of fuel to keep the engine at idle. Digital fuel guage is blinking now. Hope it'll last the morning traffic toms. :unsure: Blasted fuel crisis! Bamba IOC shed had fuel (near MC) I saw some cars and tuk's filling up there a couple of hours ago.)

I bet your digital fuel gauge is a lot more accurate than mine. Today I switched on the power and waited a minute for the needle to settle, and then rocked the vehicle back and forth for about 5 seconds. The needle settled half a hair below the 1/4 line. Are you guys driving with or without A/C?

I bet your digital fuel gauge is a lot more accurate than mine. Today I switched on the power and waited a minute for the needle to settle, and then rocked the vehicle back and forth for about 5 seconds. The needle settled half a hair below the 1/4 line. Are you guys driving with or without A/C?

lol actually no! Cause sometimes it goes back to 2 Bars on the guage. :lol: I guess the digital fuel guages work more on pressure than a floater? :unsure: Dunno though.. Driving WITH a/c mate. Its too damn hot to go without!! :angry:

lol actually no! Cause sometimes it goes back to 2 Bars on the guage. :lol: I guess the digital fuel guages work more on pressure than a floater? :unsure: Dunno though.. Driving WITH a/c mate. Its too damn hot to go without!! :angry:

ive experienced it being more accurate when the car has been run for a while (heated up)

in taht meter, one bar should represent 5.5 l

but some tym into the last bar and i top up, i fill arnd 38-39 l

so i guess it's having a margin for error that we make :)

ive experienced it being more accurate when the car has been run for a while (heated up)

in taht meter, one bar should represent 5.5 l

but some tym into the last bar and i top up, i fill arnd 38-39 l

so i guess it's having a margin for error that we make :)

hmm true, but mate there's also the fuel that stays in the pipes (i.e from filler cap to the tank itself) there's a good 1 and a half liters worth there. Anyways... mate we'd love to fill up.. if there was a place that actually had... the few places that have fuel.. are stacked with cars... its crazy... and there's another seperate line for tuks and another line for men with bottles! :blink:

Even if this actually happens (and that's a big IF), it'll likely be chaos at most sheds all day tomorrow and probably for a couple of days hence, until the panic dies down <_<

They did mention it on TV as well, I mean the people on strike themselves. So we should hope for the best, and apparently collective thoughts do make things happen, if there's an ounce of truth in Dan Brown's new book.

I left the house an hour early to do some scouting:

Pelawatta Ceypetco - Ballekwath nehe

Koswattha Laughs - Diesel closed, Petrol moderate queues

Baseline :

Ceypetco - Saw a container truck parked in front, so I'm assuming he was filling up both his tanks, however there appeared to be no queues for either fuel

The Laughs next door - Moderate to Darunu queues, spilling onto the Baseline, appeared to have both fuels from the looks of the demographics

Money shot:

Ethul kotte, smaller shed close to parliament road junc - 2-3 car petrol queue, no diesel queue, best to come from parliament road side since the road is narrow and 2-3 cars still spill out on to the road. I filled up from here, they said they received supplies in the morning and were fully functional.

Edited by terrabytetango

I left the house an hour early to do some scouting:

Pelawatta Ceypetco - Ballekwath nehe

Koswattha Laughs - Diesel closed, Petrol moderate queues

Baseline :

Ceypetco - Saw a container truck parked in front, so I'm assuming he was filling up both his tanks, however there appeared to be no queues for either fuel

The Laughs next door - Moderate to Darunu queues, spilling onto the Baseline, appeared to have both fuels from the looks of the demographics

Money shot:

Ethul kotte, smaller shed close to parliament road junc - 2-3 car petrol queue, no diesel queue, best to come from parliament road side since the road is narrow and 2-3 cars still spill out on to the road. I filled up from here, they said they received supplies in the morning and were fully functional.

the few sheds i saw on my way to work were out of gas and closed up... a few places there were long queues despite the sheds being close...

an IOC shed near the harbor in mattakuliya had both fuel and had on 5-6 vehicles lined up to pump...

my office fuel joint in alexandra place...the IOC shed too is out of gas...

got half a tank and hoping to fill it up today somehow...

Update: Baseline Ceypetco was never open, apparently the truck is just parked there. They're cordoning off bits of the Laughs next door as well, according to a fellow who just got to the office. I would suggest that you guys seek out smaller sheds off the beaten path. The supply had resumed from midnight last night, so these places are your best bet to fill up at. The Diesel queue at Etul Kotte is almost non-existent so it's a good gamble.

the few sheds i saw on my way to work were out of gas and closed up... a few places there were long queues despite the sheds being close...

an IOC shed near the harbor in mattakuliya had both fuel and had on 5-6 vehicles lined up to pump...

Today less traffic on the road from malabe to fort. Ripper you are reffering the shed at Dockland junction near the Port entrance(De Seram gate) right. If fuel is available there it is very closed to me.

Thanks for the information. :)

if anyone knws if petrol is available in the vicinity of union place, pls post. thanks!

there is a smaller ceypetco shed closer to the kfc there...

during last fuel crisis that place had fuel cos not many people seem to notice the shed there...

there is a smaller ceypetco shed closer to the kfc there...

during last fuel crisis that place had fuel cos not many people seem to notice the shed there...

Thanks for the info!. Unfortunately i'm one of those ppl who havn't noticed the station either :rolleyes: . Unless your referring the the station next to Singer.

of crap i have to pump from that IOC shed.. this is near SBC right... oh damn..

of crap i have to pump from that IOC shed.. this is near SBC right... oh damn..

yep... they were expecting a bowser to come in..dunno if it came...

will have to a lil drive up there and have a look see... :)

bad days of the month just before payday so pumping from that spot saves more money for the evening beer fund! :P

thanks mate.. hope they dont run our by night.. i couldnt come in the car.. so have to go home and come back to colombo.. have just enough to come to colombo...

one of our guys just went there...

i too plan on going a lil later...

will keep you posted...