• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Xenon Hid Kits

Danasa

Nearly all the generic bulbs on ebay are from the same manufacturer, but there may be a slight difference in luminosity. How does the hi/lo beam on your vehicle work; is it the shield which moves or the bulb itself? If it is the former then you might trying squirting a drop of WD40 (using the straw) into the bulb base, it may be something as simple as a stuck actuator. Don't try to move it by hand though, because you'll end up bending the shield. I've experienced a stuck hi/lo actuator when the vehicle has been stationary for about an hour or so with the lights switched on. The right hand side assembly always heats up more than the left for some reason. Once the vehicle is in motion however, and airflow over the lamps resume, the problem goes away.

I really din't know how it works, now after your reply only red some ariticals about Xnon light and noticed there are two main ways to chagne high/low beams. I need to check the buld and see. What i noticed is when low beam is on light not working and once changed to high beam it works. So that means I must have two seperate beams inside the buld and not the method where buld moves for high/low beam.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one beam inside the bulb, it comes from a pea sized bead in the center of the glass capsule. Most probably the controller unit is unable to detect the lo beam signal. My kit uses one side of the stock harness to detect power and hi/lo beam. However, if your car has a factory fitted HID then it it's probably low beam HID and Halogen hi beam.

Edit:

What i noticed is when low beam is on light not working and once changed to high beam it works.
I can replicate this by using the flash feature of the headlights. Edited by terrabytetango

There's only one beam inside the bulb, it comes from a pea sized bead in the center of the glass capsule. Most probably the controller unit is unable to detect the lo beam signal. My kit uses one side of the stock harness to detect power and hi/lo beam. However, if your car has a factory fitted HID then it it's probably low beam HID and Halogen hi beam.

Edit: I can replicate this by using the flash feature of the headlights.

I checked my buld from out side. It says H4 12V .... other letters i cant get and brand is MOHIBI.. or some thing (chinese it seems)

I wanted to remove it and take it to a shop my car is Civic EK3, there is a plastic cover over the beading of the light do I need to remove the plastic cover or any things i should be cautious before remove the light...

thanks

Ah ok, those aren't proper HID bulbs at all, just blue tinted Halogens to give a whiter light. As for the housing, I'm not familiar with the EK3 in particular but in general I believe its one piece with integrated side indicator. Once you undo the fasteners, the entire assembly should pop out into your hand. However, look under the hood, and if there is clearance behind the head lamps, then you can just twist and pop the bulb out without needing to remove anything else.

And this is what a proper HID bulb looks like. Mind, the ballasts are not shown in the picture.

You're right, and the manufacturers make up for this loss of light by increasing the wattage a little, or otherwise by simply making bogus claims. If you've noticed (or been silly enough like me to look directly into the lights of oncoming vehicles), you'll see the blue tinted bulbs are every bit as bright, if not more, than the regular ones. I would suggest you go for one of the brand names discussed here, and I would also like to add into the mix the Osram/Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, which comes very close to 4000K.

Ah ok, those aren't proper HID bulbs at all, just blue tinted Halogens to give a whiter light. As for the housing, I'm not familiar with the EK3 in particular but in general I believe its one piece with integrated side indicator. Once you undo the fasteners, the entire assembly should pop out into your hand. However, look under the hood, and if there is clearance behind the head lamps, then you can just twist and pop the bulb out without needing to remove anything else.

And this is what a proper HID bulb looks like. Mind, the ballasts are not shown in the picture.

Since i have H4 socket and may be a fake Xenon light can I get original light fixed there without changes?

Since i have H4 socket and may be a fake Xenon light can I get original light fixed there without changes?

Yes, as long as your H4 socket has not been modified in anyway (which I highly doubt), any bulb with an H4 flange will work.

Yes, as long as your H4 socket has not been modified in anyway (which I highly doubt), any bulb with an H4 flange will work.

As far as I can see there is no HID kit visible. Was there any EK3s with original HID lights? B'cos I got original navigation system also which i haven't seen in 1996 EK3s

Ok if I fix only one Xenon light since other one is working, will there be issues except for brightness change in two head lights?

Edited by MkX

The Navigation system is extremely rare, but I don't think HID was ever an option. I think it became an option only with the ES series. There might be a slight issue, especially if the existing bulbs have been used for a significant period of time. The best thing would be to replace them both at once. And machan, what you have there is a regular Halogen bulb, not Xenon. Don't confuse yourself between the two, because that will only make it easier for shady shopkeeper types to sell you dodgy goods.

Edited by terrabytetango

The Navigation system is extremely rare, but I don't think HID was ever an option. I think it became an option only with the ES series. There might be a slight issue, especially if the existing bulbs have been used for a significant period of time. The best thing would be to replace them both at once. And machan, what you have there is a regular Halogen bulb, not Xenon. Don't confuse yourself between the two, because that will only make it easier for shady shopkeeper types to sell you dodgy goods.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/US-DISTRIBU...sQ5fAccessories

What is above bulb, the seller says similar to xenon light. So is it Halogen light? And do you guys think it's worth for that price?

That's a Halogen bulb, maybe with some Xenon content which will add very slightly to whiteness. Being Osram, however, they should be good to go. The shipping however is not worth, and you should consult our local Osram agents before busting out 6k for a set (I only paid 7.5k for my 4300k HIDs). Also, see if they carry Osram Silverstars.

Edited by terrabytetango

That's a Halogen bulb, maybe with some Xenon content which will add very slightly to whiteness. Being Osram, however, they should be good to go. The shipping however is not worth, and you should consult our local Osram agents before busting out 6k for a set (I only paid 7.5k for my 4300k HIDs). Also, see if they carry Osram Silverstars.
Edited by MkX

• 1 month later...
Ebay. It's a generic Chinese no name kit what comes in a white recycled cardboard box. Cost was $62 with shipping to SL + 1k odd for customs' duty.

There were deals for much lesser too. Anyways how are these kits? Some guy told me that these generic kits get too hot and maybe could melt light housings, do they get hot unusually? And how is the visibility? I was wondering whether to go for a HID kit or some better branded bulbs.

i would go wtih HID kits over the bulbs. Makes a world of a difference. just don't get the really bright ones. I think 6000 is just right. anything more than that is just not helping anyone.

I was going to go with the ebay route but decided againsts it and went with a local option with 2 years warranty. i know a few people who had a few issues with the HID kits and without warranty, they were out of luck.

it's a call you make. the kit i got cost around 17k with warranty. you can get full kits for much cheaper ofcourse without warranty.

6000K has nothing to do with brightness but rather the intensity. For safe driving, 6000K is the absolute max you should go for, anything higher makes it harder on the eyes. Our 121 has 6000Ks (fitted in Japan) and the Townace has 4300Ks (the kit which I installed), there's a significant difference with night time visibility, especially in the rain. If you want a proper functional HID system, go for 5000K (same as whats used in the Micro/SSangyong SUVs here in SL), and 4300K for the brightest possible simulated daylight.

As for heat issues, HIDs actually put out less heat, and the lenses are tolerable to touch even with the back of your hand. The visibility is great, filament lamps have nothing on HID. I drive long distances outstation on a regular, and the return trip is often in the evening, and the HIDs in my van have proved their worth over many times already. Not only do they increase my visibility, but in turn my vehicle becomes a lot more visible as well.

6000K has nothing to do with brightness but rather the intensity. For safe driving, 6000K is the absolute max you should go for, anything higher makes it harder on the eyes. Our 121 has 6000Ks (fitted in Japan) and the Townace has 4300Ks (the kit which I installed), there's a significant difference with night time visibility, especially in the rain. If you want a proper functional HID system, go for 5000K (same as whats used in the Micro/SSangyong SUVs here in SL), and 4300K for the brightest possible simulated daylight.

As for heat issues, HIDs actually put out less heat, and the lenses are tolerable to touch even with the back of your hand. The visibility is great, filament lamps have nothing on HID. I drive long distances outstation on a regular, and the return trip is often in the evening, and the HIDs in my van have proved their worth over many times already. Not only do they increase my visibility, but in turn my vehicle becomes a lot more visible as well.

Machan can you get couple of pictures of your HID fixed lamps. (Of course not directed to the camera :rolleyes: ) wanted to know, is it Bixenons or just LO beam?