• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Modifying Maruti 800 & Alto

Ek3

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Trainspotting and Radiohead :rolleyes:

Great to have got a 6-pot. 170 horses can be no bad thing. Auto - don't worry, kick down really kicks ass.

Btw what colour is this machine?

How can one forget Radiohead??

It is Montreal Blue. Blue/Purplish.

Yes, 170 Horse.... ideal companion for the 150 on the P11. I added a set of NGK Iridiums and a K&N Cone to the SR20 today. No idea what the additional oomph factor will be as I just put them all in and closed the lid, for later enjoyment.

New addition will be take to Milroy next week for a thorough check up and the small issues sorted, mainly the stuck Sunroof.

So... While you guys spent the last 48 hours bickering over Chappathies with 12 inch wheels, Moi, went and brought home a 1996 BMW E36 323i. :)

If you guys remember, I have been hunting quietly for the ideal one to come my way for a while and it did, Thanks to AL. it was advertised here and I grabbed it!

6 Cylinder M50B25 Engine

5 Speed Auto (no choice in the matter)

SINGLE OWNER with 100% Agent attention... man, I think it even went there for tyre pressure checks.. :)

16 inch BMW Alloys

Sun roof

And yes.... it ROCKS!!!! Though its an Auto..... it was a great deal and I Just had to get it.

It is now parked next to my P11... looking rather pretty.

The Nineties ROCK!!!!! Kurt Cobain, REM, SEETHER, P11s and E36s!!!!!

Will post pics when I get the chance to take some nice angles.

So very MARUTI Unfriendly I AM!!!!

Heh heh sure yeah, Kurt Cobain B)

Nice looking car, congratz bro!!

I'd have to agree with Jadey. Its quite OT to the question you are answering. There isn't a safety aspect to that article, other than say "safer .... than its too basic sibling". Thats like saying its safer than fitting a gas engine to a shopping cart for running around town in. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

VVTI

Congratz on the car mate...lets do some snapping over the weekend maybe eh :)

And on the maruchee fellas...

ignorance is bliss they say... Alto or M800, both cars can only be driven by midgets or those who wanna be midgets...

long trips would be self inflicted torture due to lack of legspace and "space' altogether...

safety is another whole ballgame...

If folks love to drive all cramped up with a crappy AC with little power and little safety.... let them enjoy their cars :)

I fr dont give a damn :lol:

But if any of my friends are ever interested in one of those, i would do my best to talk them out of it :) public service :)

VVTI

ignorance is bliss they say... Alto or M800, both cars can only be driven by midgets or those who wanna be midgets...

long trips would be self inflicted torture due to lack of legspace and "space' altogether...

If folks love to drive all cramped up with a crappy AC with little power and little safety.... let them enjoy their cars :)

But if any of my friends are ever interested in one of those, i would do my best to talk them out of it :) public service :)

Rippah!! Thanks mate. I will pick you up in the evening if you are free and we can do the snapping today! Car is parked close by.

Rippah!! Thanks mate. I will pick you up in the evening if you are free and we can do the snapping today! Car is parked close by.

left the tpod at home mate... so can we do it on another day.. :)

need the legs badly :D

was tempting to reply to this as and when this went O/T, AKA went beyond modification as someone tried to promote these carts in different aspects. Here I go,

there are plenty of my colleagues whom has fallen into this prank of "brand new" hence no repairs rather less time spending in garage crap. Another one fall for Zen and Alto are better than M800 prank.

To start with, there's this friend of mine came to me asking for an opinion for a purchase. I said first go for an old Jap or good European at very economical price and get used to vehicles and then you decide. He replied saying machang I'm a novice to cars and i know nothing about garages, those garage fellows will rip me off, therefore will go for brand new and since affordability matters I'll go for M800. I told him think twice but he continued. so the story continues..

One day after office we left at the same time and eventually broke out a road rage between my old 504 which then had worn out smoking black, oil pouring, under compression 1C diesel engine and his M800 and I manage to overrun with 4 on board where in his car there were only 2. I was leading and heading towards a zebra crossing to realize there are pedestrians already commenced crossing. Stepped on brakes and managed to stop from 80+ within a matter of less than 10 meters. then i saw my friends M800 on the mirror making funny maneuvers with tire screeching sounds and couldn't stop but barely managed to escape an accident. He gave up on the rage and next day morning I had to teach him a lesson about brake systems in 504 and his brake system which is primitive as in a morris minor. Day by day my friend was complaining on various other issues including following not limited to that..

rain water leaks from front windshield

excessive vibration in clutching and changing gears

charging system was malfunctioning and he has to keep engine reviving to keep up the A/C blower speed in traffic

battery gave up due to this and agents replaced the electrical system including alternator and battery as well.

clutch gave enough and more issues

something burnt inside the dash and smoked out but never was unable to find out what was that.

1 1/2 years from the date of purchase he came to me and confessed saying machang I think you're correct I would've bought a recon than this load of junk he said. And I got to know that agents even offered to replace the car at a lesser price or s'thing which he denied to pay a single cent more and got rid of the vehicle. He then bought a short wheel base pajero for a very close price he would've paid for an Alto or Zen. :)

Even Alto and Zen has this inheritance quality issues and safety except for marketing gimmicks.. to add to the zen and alto list (most of indian products) crappy plastics which will break like crispy biscuits ... there's this friend of mine runs an Alto around with glued plastic dash components and broken switches.

Word of advise, avoid these stuff as plague and shame on all those who market it as improved safety crap and endangering lives of the passengers ..

SL is a better motoring country if not for these indian junk appearing here including Trishaws and motor bikes ...

Edited by harshansenadhir

Can't these Maruti-haters differentiate A M800 from an Alto?

By the way, I wanted only Miyuru Daminda to read the Autocar India article about Maruti Alto.

A stock Maruti Alto with maximum power of 47bhp is a safe car as long as it is driven within its abilities.

Now it's time to close this thread or to move it to another section and rename it "The MARUTI BASHING thread".

The original topic starter question is already given a definitive answer, i.e. A Maruti 800 is not worth modifying.

holy crap!!! thats almost wrapped around the tree!

As we've all agreed on this already, a brand new japanese car is REALLY expensive, which is why the majority go for a 'brand-new' indian car. And what most of our boys have been arguing is that the quality of a used jap-car is still far more supirior to its new indian counterparts. And if repairs is the worry, i dont know why even someone who doesnt know jack about cars cant ask for some advice. I'm sure its safe to say that everyone would know someone who knows enough about cars to tell you what the problem is and what to look out for from shady mechanics.

And honestly I dont know why some people would be THIS keen on trying to promote Maruti's down a group's throat when they clearly do NOT seem interested nor ever will.

I wont go on to comment further on little indian cars cos I drive one myself. Not that stupid to shoot myself in the foot :D

After reading all the above comments i think i can agree mostly with shamishka on the alto ,

i went and had a look at the new alto and the sales team was really convincing about the safely, handling and the looks , infact they gave me a good offer for my Mini which i thought i will go for it , i was quite satisfied with the drivability.

for the Mini there is no agent in SL, where as for the alto there is a good agent ( i only saw some bad comments about the accident repair center, which i will keep the speeds limited to avoid such situation )

i get a 2008 model car with the tradein for a 1993 model car by paying only few lakhs ,what ever it is, it's an english numbered newer car.

since i have lot of suppliers coming from India , i feel it is a Plus point when i say " i came in my new 2008 alto to pick you up" so by the time i reach colombo from airport , the ice is broken .

what do you guys think ? should i go for the alto or the wagon R ??

did... and to read more about safety of these boxes (which is literally 28% smaller than the 100,000 rupee car ) refer to the images attached...

07062009001.th.jpg

07062009u.th.jpg

Where was this Maruti??????

After reading all the above comments i think i can agree mostly with shamishka on the alto ,

i went and had a look at the new alto and the sales team was really convincing about the safely, handling and the looks , infact they gave me a good offer for my Mini which i thought i will go for it , i was quite satisfied with the drivability.

for the Mini there is no agent in SL, where as for the alto there is a good agent ( i only saw some bad comments about the accident repair center, which i will keep the speeds limited to avoid such situation )

i get a 2008 model car with the tradein for a 1993 model car by paying only few lakhs ,what ever it is, it's an english numbered newer car.

since i have lot of suppliers coming from India , i feel it is a Plus point when i say " i came in my new 2008 alto to pick you up" so by the time i reach colombo from airport , the ice is broken .

Machang, Buy them both, in fact. You deserve it!!!! After you traded in your Mini for Maruti, You da Man!!!!!!

VVTI

Couldn’t have said it better :)

Saw the caption of the thread and my first thought was WHY WHY WHY?

Just go for even a older hottish hatch and have some street cred.

If you wanna stick with the Maruti, I suggest Radial tires as the cross plys provide less grip.

That is about it.

Ask the question : Why did I buy a Maruti?

1) Fuel efficiency

2) Practical small car

3) Fuel efficiency

4) Family car ( at squeeze)

5) Brand new

6) Fuel efficiency .

So the modifications IMHO should address one of those criteria or else you are wasting your money.

But hey its your money and your car. As long as you are having fun , :jumping-smiley-013: freak out man.

cheers

Saw the caption of the thread and my first thought was WHY WHY WHY?

Just go for even a older hottish hatch and have some street cred.

If you wanna stick with the Maruti, I suggest Radial tires as the cross plys provide less grip.

That is about it.

Ask the question : Why did I buy a Maruti?

1) Fuel efficiency

2) Practical small car

3) Fuel efficiency

4) Family car ( at squeeze)

5) Brand new

6) Fuel efficiency .

So the modifications IMHO should address one of those criteria or else you are wasting your money.

But hey its your money and your car. As long as you are having fun , :jumping-smiley-013: freak out man.

cheers

OT mates...Prad... how did the XL thing go? :D

Tsk Tsk MRM, adding fuel to an already raging fire... :P