• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dehiwala Flyover Construction Begins - New Traffic Plan

MADZ

Hope it will be worthwhile, and not another rushed and dangerously constructed job like the Nugegoda "flyover" or god forbid the southern expressway.

Whats so dangerous about the Nugegoda flyover?

Mind you, its still phase 1 completed. I think phase 2 is the addition of two more lanes.

Yeap last night they started the project

i don't understand the logic behind flyovers simply, they come up with this as THE solution for traffic. True it eases up traffic in a city but just take a look at how Kaluthara city is planned, traffic on Galle road does not get disturbed by the traffic or parking in the city. Ideal model for other cities without considering costly fly overs as the solution for any cluttered city.

Hope it will be worthwhile, and not another rushed and dangerously constructed job like the Nugegoda "flyover" or god forbid the southern expressway.

The Nugegoda flyover is dangerous???

i don't understand the logic behind flyovers simply, they come up with this as THE solution for traffic. True it eases up traffic in a city but just take a look at how Kaluthara city is planned, traffic on Galle road does not get disturbed by the traffic or parking in the city. Ideal model for other cities without considering costly fly overs as the solution for any cluttered city.

Treu, in Dehiwela Flyover, towards Arpico the flyover ends near Arpico, so all the buses will stop at the bus stand near Arpico blocking the kawdana, then people who wating to turn towards Kawdana from both sides will have hard time, another issue is road side parking, thats the only way people can park and go shoping, or else park at hill street, but its always packed with vehicles, so we gona have hard time to find parking space too, personally i feel we dnt need flyover to dehiwela

personally i feel we dnt need flyover to dehiwela

in Nugegoda, there's an intersection of two main roads, hence flyover is required so as in certain railway crossings. But in Dehiwala the road which crosses galle road goes only towards railway station unless otherwise they have plans to stretch marine drive up to dehiwala

Edited by harshansenadhir

in Nugegoda, there's an intersection of two main roads, hence flyover is required so as in certain railway crossings. But in Dehiwala the road which crosses galle road goes only towards railway station unless otherwise they have plans to stretch marine drive up to dehiwala

in nugegoda i have seen so many bus drivers not taking the flyover, btw i think its bit hard to strech merine drive from wellawattha to dehiwela, there are lods of houses around and if it hapend land prices will go sky high in the fairline road and other cross roads

Treu, in Dehiwela Flyover, towards Arpico the flyover ends near Arpico, so all the buses will stop at the bus stand near Arpico blocking the kawdana, then people who wating to turn towards Kawdana from both sides will have hard time, another issue is road side parking, thats the only way people can park and go shoping, or else park at hill street, but its always packed with vehicles, so we gona have hard time to find parking space too, personally i feel we dnt need flyover to dehiwela

I don't think comes all the way to Arpico. I think it comes down just beyond the Fashion Bug. And if you think its not needed you haven't seen the evening traffic rush. It can take half an hour to 40 mins to come from Williams towards the Junc. And when it rains its worse.

Major bus stand and slow traffic lights since the turning vehicles get a turn to go separately. Besides, the railway is only one direction. Hill street is a major traffic carrier too. Anyway the major cause of traffic at the junc is the bus stands in either direction on the Galle Road. Those buggers will shove across three lanes to overtake another bus.

I don't think comes all the way to Arpico. I think it comes down just beyond the Fashion Bug. And if you think its not needed you haven't seen the evening traffic rush. It can take half an hour to 40 mins to come from Williams towards the Junc. And when it rains its worse.

i heard it end infront of the Piyasena stores, from williams if u turn to left then there are so many short cuts, anyway if anyhow they can extend the merine drive to dehiwela thats awesome,

Edited by GihanFX

Major bus stand and slow traffic lights since the turning vehicles get a turn to go separately. Besides, the railway is only one direction. Hill street is a major traffic carrier too. Anyway the major cause of traffic at the junc is the bus stands in either direction on the Galle Road. Those buggers will shove across three lanes to overtake another bus.

yea it dusnt go that far....

further, i thot the bottleneck was actually further towards arpico and not at the junction..... so having a flyover, will that really help?

in the mornings too he traffic extends specially upto HFC ...

The Nugegoda flyover is dangerous???

In a word, yes. A civil engineering student at Moratuwa told me its no secret that there were lot of dirty deals involved in this "expressly constructed" flyover. A lot of people made a killing off it, but lets hope it wont end up killing people as well. I am told by those in the know that it was not constructed according to the standards of load bearing that exist for such projects. For example, there are ways of calculating what will happen if a heavy vehicle were to end up hitting or toppling over one of the support columns, and the thing must be built in a way where the rest of the columns can support the structure regardless of how the traffic is distributed on the flyover. If not, the whole thing can and will collapse.

Also like the case of the southern expressway the raw materials are not upto scratch (if you followed the articles about the collapsed expressway that killed that student, you can see how the raw materials were in that). They said their using new technology and all sorts of BS just to make things look good. Yet the US and UK and other developed countries dont rush their flyover projects using these fancy "new technologys" so why should we? The "chief engineer" from our side was a young chap in his 20s, who is not even having experience in large scale projects, let alone building flyovers. This is not a time to be "giving a chance" to the new generation, cos flyovers are very tricky projects that can be disastrous if not done right. Even the professionals get it wrong all the time, just search for collapsed highways. Basis of the story is, please dont go on that flyover unless you really really must. Dont really see what the benefit of these so called express flyovers theyre building in colombo anyway other than nice commissions to be made.

Feel free to do your own research on this with qualified road structural engineers. Its an open secret.

Edited by SeanD

quite true

its a more advanced model of this that is found in the middle east - in unplanner cities like ours its rather difficult to do, but used to great success in Dubai etc where there is ample planned parking on both sides of all major roads and with access into the roads in amnner that doesn't disturb the flow of traffic.

but its an absolute curse the block the construction work has caused :(

but its an absolute curse the block the construction work has caused :(

Nearly got stuck myself, realized what happened and managed to get onto Waidya road and onto Zoo road. This is gonna be a mess until Nov. I really do hope we can get the proper benefits once its done.

i think flyover help to ease the traffic immensely. it cuts down the waiting time at traffic lights.

SeanD is correct. they are bellow standard. have any of you noticed that every project this regime carry out is expedited. from kerawalapitiya power plant to the fly overs. reminds me of the saga surrounding the dambulla cricket ground. but don't we all know to who's benefit these are carried out in such a rush/hurry.

DZ is correct infrastructure in operation in kaluthara can't be implemented in bussy developed cites. but it sure is a effective and cost effective measure to be deployed in the new cites.

i think flyover help to ease the traffic immensely. it cuts down the waiting time at traffic lights.

SeanD is correct. they are bellow standard. have any of you noticed that every project this regime carry out is expedited. from kerawalapitiya power plant to the fly overs. reminds me of the saga surrounding the dambulla cricket ground. but don't we all know to who's benefit these are carried out in such a rush/hurry.

DZ is correct infrastructure in operation in kaluthara can't be implemented in bussy developed cites. but it sure is a effective and cost effective measure to be deployed in the new cites.

bro it would cut down the waiting time..... tru...

but where would the traffic go if it is stuck further up?

this is the situation in da morning towards cmb and in the evening from cmb....

i feel that the block is not starting at the junction!

• 3 months later...
Well ppl, looks like its finally done. HE the Prez has declared it open at 5:30am. Anyone use it yet?

Yep had a go there this morning...between blue baloons and MR pics ha ha.There was a bit of traffic jam because of the fly over traffic mixing the normal.kind of bottle neck effect there.

MINIACE

Yep had a go there this morning...between blue baloons and MR pics ha ha.There was a bit of traffic jam because of the fly over traffic mixing the normal.kind of bottle neck effect there.

MINIACE

hope it's high enough to get some good views of the sea also :)

would be a nice drive in the evening when the sun is setting...