• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero Experts

viking

Hi,.. I am researching on the 2003-2004 Montero that came with the 3.0L, 3.5L and 3.8L Multi Point Injection (MPI) V6 engines (Imported Brand New) and the Domestic Model GDI versions.

Can someone please let me know the following through own experience.

1. The average fuel consumption (real figures in city driving)?

2. Common problems in the MPI version engines if there are any?

3. Is there a thing called a GDI engine that does not give any trouble when used 95 octane petrol?

4. Any known mechanical problems? (for example with the auto-transmission, suspension, brakes etc.)

5. The current selling price/s depending on the engine type?

Also, how the Montero would compare with the Diesel Rextens? (apart from the obvious diesel economy)

Many thanks in advance....

I'm not an expert but i'll help you with some of the stuff you have asked. we have a GDI engine model.

- 4.5-5.5 depending on how you drive

- dont know, don't own one but from what i hear, they don't give many problems. other can verify

3. Is there a thing called a GDI engine that does not give any trouble when used 95 octane petrol?

- yes the jap imports are GDI engined. we have had one for about 2 years with no engine issues. we use only 95.

4. Any known mechanical problems? (for example with the auto-transmission, suspension, brakes etc.)

- none yet

- i have seen prices starting from 4.5 mil and up.

Also, how the Montero would compare with the Diesel Rextens? (apart from the obvious diesel economy)

... can't help here.. sorry

I owned a GDI engine model and can help to the best of my ability.

- 4.5-5.5 depending on how you drive - as Fuzzo says very accurate too and real world

- dont know, don't own one but from what i hear, they don't give many problems. other can verify

- yes the jap imports are GDI engined. we have had one for about 2 years with no engine issues. we use only 95. I have used 90 octane but did not have any issues (But 90 was used only when I was away from Colombo and could not find 95)

- None, very reliable and super comfortable.

- i have seen prices starting from 4.5 mil and up. A good one ( Loved) will be a bit higher. Try and get the Super Exceed version.

IMHO: No comparison except we live in SL. But hey its Diesel and from what I hear a very good vehicle. You pays your money and takes your choice.

i too have pumped 90 once and within 500 m from the petrol shed, i got a check engine light. after i that i pumped 95 and the light disappeared.

the ones prices at 4.5 mil are not super exceeds. those are the base ones. super exceeds will be more.

Edited by fuzzo

we have a 2006 or thereabouts 3.0V6

- 4.5-6 is about the range

- None so far, but the 3.0L engine appears to be quite underpowered for such a large vehicle.... I think it was only offered to make it cheaper when the taxes were increased. 3.5l and especially the 3.8 are MUCH better

fuzzo and prad have answered this quite well... the "GDI problems" dont appear to affect the Monteros, personally have only heard of GDI engines giving trouble on Cedias and the like,

- Nope, although personally i think that the Brand new spec version isnt all that comfortable, suspension is very stiff and the ride is hard when compared to, say something like a prado, or a Euro or American SUV. And in my experience after a while the vehicle starts to develop the occasional rattle and squeak

- as stated above, 4.5 mill and up. If possible try and go for a JDM Version as they are better specced and more comfortable all round

The rexton is quite a decent vehicle, only problems are the occasional issues with build quality, but those too are being sorted out. It's also a decent choice, with the advantage of being a newer vehicle.

Hi,.. fuzzo, pradfred and Supra_N, thanks a lot for the inputs,... I would agree with your experiences. Like Supra_N has pointed, the 3.0L would be a slightly underpowered for the Montero and the obvious reason of its introduction is clear due to high taxes. 3.5 and the 3.8 would be more fitting for the all-round proportions of the vehicle.

The export version would naturally be fitted with a stiffer suspension setup compared to the JDM. Therefore, the GDI engine ones can be expected to be more comfortable, I agree.

The GDI technology also may deliver better power. If the haunting effects of the most common GDI tech are not found in the Montero, it certainly is a blessing for the Montero. (Bigger engines may not be affected, and may be the GDI technology is really meant for bigger engines)

As for the reliability, I wouldn't be surprised that they are well put together.

Supra_N, I agree with your opinion about the Rexton being a newer vehicle and being a decent choice. Sometimes there may be a chance of Rexton developing more rattles associated with its suspension assembly. Apart from that the only other factors to consider would be the availability of spare parts in the open market. Because if you have to be solely dependent on the agents, chances are you might not get the best service. I would assume the Montero in comparison to the Rexton would have parts more freely available in the market and does not have to be tied to the agents for everything.

But when you compare the purchase price, I feel the Montero delivers more for your money. Since I arrived at this point now, what would be the realistic price one could buy a Rexton in the market today? (I mean, the price the owner would agree to sell and the price the buyer would be willing to pay for it in today's market situation) Not many to been seen advertised when compared to the Montero.

Any ideas?

In terms of handling the Montero will definitely be better compared to the Rexton. Montero has all-round independent suspension and most Rexton's come with rear live axel except for the all wheel drive version (AWD). The Montero also has a wider track.

With so many units on the road and most of them being put to heavy use especially the government owned ones, one service facility is not at all sufficient to cater and cope with the demand. When there is no competition/alternative it is only natural for the service provider to become insensitive to quality of service, business ethics, pricing etc. (They say, we pay)

Spare part suppliers and service/workshops should look into stocking spares for the SsangYong vehicles and get themselves familiar with repairs etc. There is definitely a considerable market for it in Sri Lanka now.

Are there any Rexton’s (registered) for sale? Would like to find out if there are any available.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

For the Monti experts,

Any experience with year 2000 & upward Diesel ones? Anybody who owns, care to share some insight.

The 3.2 DiD (4M41) vs the 2.8 (4M40)?

Also these machines don't seem to come down in price. Some technical insight or general info would be appreciated. Other than the usual Mitsubishi rattling complains.

I recommend a montero sport

If u could steel a diesel one for about 8-9mill

u won't be spending much on fuel

over 13kmpl long distance (compaired to 4kmpl in a gdi)

neither for repairs

most are yom 2008 above and have time tested rock solid 4d56 engine

Some say it has rally-art sus

Appreciate your input mate, but its hard to take the Montero Sport as an alternative to the Montero.

2 years back or so a known party offered us a permit to buy which covered the Montero Sport as an option. Back then, inclusive of the price for the permit it was on the 5 million range. (note its a ball park range)Anyhow soon after Unit#d Mot#rs stopped bringing the Sport because it surpassed the CIF value range due to the depreciation of the Rupee against the Yen.

And today if a Sport is going to cost 8-9 million thats outrageous. I wouldn't call it a Steal...

I have a feeling your one of those people who bought the Sport back then and now over estimating your set of wheels for a higher market price? Correct me if im wrong.

Also the 4d56 which also comes in the L-200 is not a rock solid engine as you would like to think. They are OK not rock solid. A 4M40 does about 8kmpl in city, first hand experience. The 4M41 is supposed to be better in the 10 range.

PS: Mods, the direct reply button seem to time out for some reason.

Yes I own one alright

Yet I bought it for 9mill and i'll sell 2 of my other suv's before selling it

I think the only way to get one for 5mill 2yrs back was to marry a doc and get devoured after 5yrs

Montero - Gives u an image (if u don't have one)

Sport -

Protects u'r pocket

Better off road

More comfortable (probably due to velvet seats) than prado GX

I haven't compared it with it's big brother yet

Yes I own one alright

I think the only way to get one for 5mill 2yrs back was to marry a doc and get devoured after 5yrs

Sport -

Protects u'r pocket

Better off road

Well if you paid 9 million for a Sport good for you. Cos I wouldn't.

Mind you these permits were not only offered to Docs but to other Govt employed folks as well. How do you think all those Rextons flooded the streets?

Yes i Agree some new rich folks go in search for a Prado or Montero to "buy" an image for them selves, but you also get the people who simply buy em for the machines they are.

Don't mean to be rude but I don't want to know about the Montero Sport, was only searching for the Bigger sibling.

Yes I own one alright

Sport -

Protects u'r pocket

Better off road

You might want to re-think your pricing strategy.

http://autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=37972

For the Monti experts,

Any experience with year 2000 & upward Diesel ones? Anybody who owns, care to share some insight.

Also these machines don't seem to come down in price. Some technical insight or general info would be appreciated. Other than the usual Mitsubishi rattling complains.

Owned a year 2000 3.2 DiD exceed version and I wouldnt say that the fuel consumption was above 10km/l. Within Colombo a rough average would be about 7km/l and outstation you would get to the 10 mark if you dont push it too hard. The engine performance is superb though its a bit loud. Gets to 150km/h on baseline with no fuss. Would say the 4M41 would give way less problems than the previous 4M40 engines that came in the 95-99 Pajero's. But then again its how you maintain them. Even though this was a domestic model with all the options available the comfort wasnt that great. Technically nothing went wrong with this during our use of about 4 years and had about 125k on the clock.

Pros: Above average performance for a diesel, good braking capabilities thanks to ABS and EBD, excellent handling all around and wont give that swaying effect, good fuel consumption

Cons: would have expected more comfort out of a domestic version, prefers fully synthetic engine oil to keep the engine quiet(plus a major performance drop if the service is overdue)

Moving on to a 2007 brand new version with a 4M40 - The biggest change is the the new ones dont have the intercooler and its just a turbo diesel. The engine noise on this model was comparatively low compared to the 3.2 both outside and inside of the vehicle. Fuel consumption is very decent even within Colombo averaging about 8km/l. Havent checked the figures outstation but im sure this will do better than the 3.2 version. Performance is low but switch it to tiptronic and you will see a good difference. Handling again is good plus the little faults in the earlier 2000 models have been fixed quite well on this. The cabin is quieter, the seats are designed in a much nicer way that makes this model comfortable than the previous one. This has 50k on the clock and the usual Pajero rattles havent yet started on this. No technical issues to complain about either but keep in mind its quite new.

If your looking for high end performance out of a SUV I would advice you to stick to a 3.2 version if you can afford it. This was one heck of a jeep :)

Edited by kusal6

Owned a year 2000 3.2 DiD exceed version and I wouldnt say that the fuel consumption was above 10km/l. Within Colombo a rough average would be about 7km/l and outstation you would get to the 10 mark if you dont push it too hard. The engine performance is superb though its a bit loud. Gets to 150km/h on baseline with no fuss. Would say the 4M41 would give way less problems than the previous 4M40 engines that came in the 95-99 Pajero's. But then again its how you maintain them. Even though this was a domestic model with all the options available the comfort wasnt that great. Technically nothing went wrong with this during our use of about 4 years and had about 125k on the clock.

Pros: Above average performance for a diesel, good braking capabilities thanks to ABS and EBD, excellent handling all around and wont give that swaying effect, good fuel consumption

Cons: would have expected more comfort out of a domestic version, prefers fully synthetic engine oil to keep the engine quiet(plus a major performance drop if the service is overdue)

Moving on to a 2007 brand new version with a 4M40 - The biggest change is the the new ones dont have the intercooler and its just a turbo diesel. The engine noise on this model was comparatively low compared to the 3.2 both outside and inside of the vehicle. Fuel consumption is very decent even within Colombo averaging about 8km/l. Havent checked the figures outstation but im sure this will do better than the 3.2 version. Performance is low but switch it to tiptronic and you will see a good difference. Handling again is good plus the little faults in the earlier 2000 models have been fixed quite well on this. The cabin is quieter, the seats are designed in a much nicer way that makes this model comfortable than the previous one. This has 50k on the clock and the usual Pajero rattles havent yet started on this. No technical issues to complain about either but keep in mind its quite new.

If your looking for high end performance out of a SUV I would advice you to stick to a 3.2 version if you can afford it. This was one heck of a jeep :)

Thanks Kusal for taking the time to reply with a lengthy post with some valuable information. Personally im a huge fan of the 4M41. The power it generates is just exceptional compared to the 1995 4M40 we've been using. I didn't know the 2007 ones didn't come with an Intercooler. There are a few that came DiD for the 2007 models. But havn't seen any on the market, simply may be they don't want to sell them.

I've some other questions that I'll shoot to your inbox.

• 2 months later...

Appreciate your input mate, but its hard to take the Montero Sport as an alternative to the Montero.

2 years back or so a known party offered us a permit to buy which covered the Montero Sport as an option. Back then, inclusive of the price for the permit it was on the 5 million range. (note its a ball park range)Anyhow soon after Unit#d Mot#rs stopped bringing the Sport because it surpassed the CIF value range due to the depreciation of the Rupee against the Yen.

And today if a Sport is going to cost 8-9 million thats outrageous. I wouldn't call it a Steal...

I have a feeling your one of those people who bought the Sport back then and now over estimating your set of wheels for a higher market price? Correct me if im wrong.

Also the 4d56 which also comes in the L-200 is not a rock solid engine as you would like to think. They are OK not rock solid. A 4M40 does about 8kmpl in city, first hand experience. The 4M41 is supposed to be better in the 10 range.

PS: Mods, the direct reply button seem to time out for some reason.

4M40/4M41 are good engines. Superb power. And the 4D56/4D56T are time tested engines. Though they do not offer the same pulling power as 4M40s they are more economical. And you can punish them with all sorts of duties while they thank you for it. I have about 2 and a half years experience with one and I'm just loving it.

We have a 2.8 b.new one(2007 ) which we have run for more than 200,000km.

Build quality in not much good as the JDM one.Also bit under powered due to lack of turbo.

This works fine untill it touches 200,000 mark .But now gives troubles on transmission where the gears get N while on D which i heard common problem in monteros.Had several visits to agents , still suffers from it.

Other than than quiet good vehicle .

fuel economy around 5.5-6.5 km/l.

For the Monti experts,

We have a 2.8 b.new one(2007 ) which we have run for more than 200,000km.

Build quality in not much good as the JDM one.Also bit under powered due to lack of turbo.

This works fine untill it touches 200,000 mark .But now gives troubles on transmission where the gears get N while on D which i heard common problem in monteros.Had several visits to agents , still suffers from it.

Other than than quiet good vehicle .

fuel economy around 5.5-6.5 km/l.

200,000 kms for a 2007 model is quite a lot. But how sure are you about the fuel figures? Seems on the low range. It should average about 8 in my opinion. Also your model should have a turbo, monteros come in either 4M40 or 4M41 and both are turbo charged. But the newer 4M40 doesn't have a intercooler unlike the old ones.

Also not the first time I heard about transmission issues. This could mainly owe to the fact of irregular transmission fluid changes.

Kulunu should be someone who uses one and he should be telling the truth

200k is a very good millage it some small defects like these should be accepted at that millage.

By the way DevakaC according to u'r pic u should be having a intercooler so u want to tell people pajeros are superior

Well mitsubishi is good at making suvs yet u can't change facts.

If a vehicle can run without problems for 200k thats enough for me.

It's not a turbo one.

I have quite keen on fuel figure as we runs a lot , but accoding to my calculations it's so.

200,000 kms for a 2007 model is quite a lot. But how sure are you about the fuel figures? Seems on the low range. It should average about 8 in my opinion. Also your model should have a turbo, monteros come in either 4M40 or 4M41 and both are turbo charged. But the newer 4M40 doesn't have a intercooler unlike the old ones.

Also not the first time I heard about transmission issues. This could mainly owe to the fact of irregular transmission fluid changes.

Other than the normal routine maintance stuff we have replaced shocks ,brake disks.

It's quite economical to use if you use it for long run.

Kulunu should be someone who uses one and he should be telling the truth

200k is a very good millage it some small defects like these should be accepted at that millage.

By the way DevakaC according to u'r pic u should be having a intercooler so u want to tell people pajeros are superior

Well mitsubishi is good at making suvs yet u can't change facts.

If a vehicle can run without problems for 200k thats enough for me.