• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator Coolent & Transmission Oil

Edward

Question

Hi Guys,

When Using the radiator coolent some says we should not mix water with the coolent & some says we should. Also advice if we are to mix water, is there any brand of coolent available in market.

When changing the auto gear oil, what is the best way to do it. Do we need suck out all the old oil & completely replace, which is a very expensive process. My mechanin says it is not necessary to change the whole oil, but can take out the oil by removing the sump, clean it & replace with 4 gallons of oil.

Subaru Coolant System FAQ

Neo Synthetics' Keep Cool

Royal Purple's Purple Ice

hy-per lube's Super Coolant

Red Line Oil's Water Wetter

Should I use tap water, deionized water, or distilled water when mixing? Best waters to use are in this order:

1. Deionized water

2. Distilled water

3. Tap water

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.p...amp;postcount=1

wow. thats one heck of an article! lol thanks machan. cheers :)

No one I know has done a manual change, though everyone talks of it. A manual change wont get rid of the oil that is still inside the torque converter, (upto a litre) where as the machine will pull it all out and replace.

If you live in or around Colombo, why don't you take it to a reputed Service centre and get both things done machang. Saves you this headache of wondering about it. I got my car's coolant flushed at PTStoP for 5000 bucks and no complaints. They do a proper job. Even AtuMiraj does the same kind of work. Take the guessing out of the equation and just do it.

5000 bucks for coolent flush is way to much bro. It cost me less than 2000 for my previous car and i used wurth coolent and flush.

will you be contributing to the bill afterward machang????

Each to his own machang.... why would I want to contribute to get someone else's coolant changed? :) I don't want to go through the hassle of wondering what, when, how, what if....... I intend to keep my babies for a while and I am not prepared to be penny wise, pound foolish...

For those who don't want to... there is always tap water....

Each to his own machang.... why would I want to contribute to get someone else's coolant changed? :) I don't want to go through the hassle of wondering what, when, how, what if....... I intend to keep my babies for a while and I am not prepared to be penny wise, pound foolish...

For those who don't want to... there is always tap water....

machang my statement was aimed at your suggestion on changing the ATF both manually and mechanically.

and my point was 'some people' are both penny and pound wise. therefore suggesting two different procedures to get the job done may not be practical nor financially viable for 'some'.

but you do have a point. this issue on ATF change does hold evenly split two schools of thought. i posted the very same question about a year ago in this forum and failed to get a solid answer.

machang my statement was aimed at your suggestion on changing the ATF both manually and mechanically.

and my point was 'some people' are both penny and pound wise. therefore suggesting two different procedures to get the job done may not be practical nor financially viable for 'some'.

but you do have a point. this issue on ATF change does hold evenly split two schools of thought. i posted the very same question about a year ago in this forum and failed to get a solid answer.

What I meant when I said get both things done was the ATF and the Coolant change.... :) What makes you think I would want anyone to do a manual and a machine change.... :action-smiley-060:

A BIG DUH!! for you XxX! :)

Edited by VVTi

5000 bucks for coolent flush is way to much bro. It cost me less than 2000 for my previous car and i used wurth coolent and flush.

well, I did the coolant flushing by myself and cost was coolant flushing liquid + new coolant, lesser than 1500/= as i remember :)

What I meant when I said get both things done was the ATF and the Coolant change.... :) What makes you think I would want anyone to do a manual and a machine change.... :action-smiley-060:

A BIG DUH!! for you XxX! :)

oooops my bad bro

on my defense you does sound like a very enthusiastic individual when it comes to automobiles

well, I did the coolant flushing by myself and cost was coolant flushing liquid + new coolant, lesser than 1500/= as i remember :)

cool! please tell me what the flushing liquid you used was, and from where you bought it :) and also whats the coolant you used? and what colour? thanks mate :)

cool! please tell me what the flushing liquid you used was, and from where you bought it :) and also whats the coolant you used? and what colour? thanks mate :)

uhh, I cant remember the name exactly bro, but something from an Arpico outlet. Coolant is the cheap SL brand *TR, green :D

uhh, I cant remember the name exactly bro, but something from an Arpico outlet. Coolant is the cheap SL brand *TR, green :D

ahh ok thanks machan.

Abro has radiator flush and Wurth also have

thanks man, i'm looking at the wurth as well. thanks Gihan. :D

mate how'd you flush the system? as in whats the flushing liquid you used? and was the previous coolant you had also green? let me know please. thanks.

and i think that having too much coolant affects the cooling itself, cause coolant is there to prevent rust, and the water is what keeps the temp down? :unsure: not sure though

Sorry machan not entirely sure how this was done but I assume it would have been with normal water. ( Agents did it ) There are some specific flushing liquids you can buy.

Yes the previous coolant was also green but think changed with wurth.

Whatever the chemical stuff in the coolent has anti rust as well as anti freeze. But I also think it has some properties which increases the boiling point. So the coolant boiling point is higer than normal water. But not sure by which percentage.

Sorry machan not entirely sure how this was done but I assume it would have been with normal water. ( Agents did it ) There are some specific flushing liquids you can buy.

Yes the previous coolant was also green but think changed with wurth.

Whatever the chemical stuff in the coolent has anti rust as well as anti freeze. But I also think it has some properties which increases the boiling point. So the coolant boiling point is higer than normal water. But not sure by which percentage.

thanks alot machan, its helped alot, cause I'm still learning bout the properties of coolant and anti freeze and water and all. :) thanks.

mate isn't that battery water? I didn't know you had to put distilled water.. I've always used mineral water. :lol: this is to prevent the rust factor right?

hi,

Distilled water and mineral water are different. Distilled water helps with the rust factor.

At the price of maybe sounding like an ass, i'm just gonna say it.. Around our house we've always been using tap-water and to date haven't had any rust issued on any of the vehicles. (and in some cases the car has been with us for over 10 years on the same radiator and even gone through spells of months where it goes unused.