• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Transmission

Gayan Jayakody

Question

Hi All,

I have a Honda Civic ES 8 2002 model with CVT transmission. It has the following drive modes

* Drive

* Sports

* Low

I am the second owner and when purchasing it from the previous owner, he was saying to shift it to sports mode while driving it really boosts up engine power!!!!

But I have TWO questions

1. Is it good for the engine or the gearbox to shift from Drive to Sports mode? While driving?

2. I have seen some people shifting from drive to neutral mode for the sake of saving some petrol!!!! Is this healthy for the car by any means? Would we be making a huge loss just bcoz we saved on a few rupees on petrol?

I think you guys shd be able to help me out in this. Also I make sure the CVT oil is changed coz I know the problems it could give....Really appreciate if you guys could help me out :D

5 answers to this question

Mate;

On shifting from Drive to Sport: There are two basic reasons why you should do: One is to power up the car and get higher speed at a quick time. For this dont shift down. Just press the accelarator little more and the vehical will do that for you. Second reason is for engine braking while downhill. For this, my feeling is you can downshift while driving but you need to be carefull on what maximum speed you can go on each gear. For example my owners manuall (my car is not ES 8) says you can go up to 96 km/h on 2nd and 51 km/h on first. So you should not exceed those limits.

On shifting from Drive to neutral, I dont think it will be a problem for the vehical, but it can be a problem for you. What if you are on Neutral and some vehical comes to knock you at a speed. You will need to shift to Drive and then accelarate. This delay can be the difference between getting a knock or move harmless.

Cheers.

Normally ES5 (Used cars from singapore) is comming with CVT gear box. ES8 is brand new version and mostly with ATM.

In hondas "D" mode is you are with OD . Noramal ATM gear box D3 is with out OD. I think CVT gear box "S" mode is with out OD,

You can put S mode from D mode while you are driving.

You never shift to N position while the car is moving because you loose the brake efficency since the RPM is going down.

Hi All,

I have a Honda Civic ES 8 2002 model with CVT transmission. It has the following drive modes

* Drive

* Sports

* Low

I am the second owner and when purchasing it from the previous owner, he was saying to shift it to sports mode while driving it really boosts up engine power!!!!

But I have TWO questions

1. Is it good for the engine or the gearbox to shift from Drive to Sports mode? While driving?

2. I have seen some people shifting from drive to neutral mode for the sake of saving some petrol!!!! Is this healthy for the car by any means? Would we be making a huge loss just bcoz we saved on a few rupees on petrol?

I think you guys shd be able to help me out in this. Also I make sure the CVT oil is changed coz I know the problems it could give....Really appreciate if you guys could help me out :D

1) there is no issue at all shifting from drive to sport mode while driving. the gerabox and engine is degined accordingly. only thing is to make sure you do it with a purpose..may be oto overtake or climbing upwards with a load etc..

See below for a better explanation.

Neutral(N)-

Use N if you need to restart a stalled engine, or if it is necessary to stop briefly with the engine idling. Shift to P position if you need to leave the car for a longer period.

Drive(D)-

Use this position for your normal driving. the transmission automatically adjust to keep the engine at the best speed for driving conditions.To help the engine warm up faster,the transmission will select ratios that allow the engine to run at higher speed when it is cold.

Second(S)-

Selecting Second shifts transmission into a lower range of ratios for better acceleration and increased engine braking.Use second when you are going down a steep hill or in stop-and- go driving.

Low(L)-

To shift to Law, press the release button on the front of the shift lever, Use L to get more power when climbing, and for max. engine braking when going down steep hills.

**For faster acceleration when in D,S or L, the transmission will automatically "Kick down" to a lower range of ratios by pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor** :)