• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

After New Brake Pads And Oil

virensti

Question

Hey guys,

We changed the brake pads and the brake oil in our vios about 3 weeks ago. And they're working perfectly fine. Much better braking performance now, but everytime the car has been stopped for a long time, when we start moving again, there's a sound coming from the front pads. :unsure: It's like a whistling kinda noise. At first I thought I'll ignore thinking its the pads hitting the disks, cause obviously once it wears down abit, It would stop. But now 3 weeks of everyday running, plus a couple of hard braking occasions, It's still the same. :unsure: My only idea is that its the brake pads are hitting the disks abit too much (Since the pads usually are touching the disks slightly in normal disks) and I better get them adjusted maybe?

Any ideas??

Edited by virensti

17 answers to this question

Hey guys,

We changed the brake pads and the brake oil in our vios about 3 weeks ago. And they're working perfectly fine. Much better braking performance now, but everytime the car has been stopped for a long time, when we start moving again, there's a sound coming from the front pads. :unsure: It's like a whistling kinda noise. At first I thought I'll ignore thinking its the pads hitting the disks, cause obviously once it wears down abit, It would stop. But now 3 weeks of everyday running, plus a couple of hard braking occasions, It's still the same. :unsure: My only idea is that its the brake pads are hitting the disks abit too much (Since the pads usually are touching the disks slightly in normal disks) and I better get them adjusted maybe?

Any ideas??

From my experience. I think its normal and it will go away after some time.

Thanks mate, I checked on it. will see how it goes.

From my experience. I think its normal and it will go away after some time.

hmm i'll have a guy check it out at the next service.. due in a couple of days. but thanks anyway :)

I also had the same problem in my ES 1 civic. I change the pads from the agent but it gave some noises when brake applies. When I changed the pads it dissapeared. That is merely due to inferior quality of the pads.

I changed the pads from honda upul at malabe at the cost of 3750 Rs. Initially I spent 12000 Rs for pads at the agent . :D

I also had the same problem in my ES 1 civic. I change the pads from the agent but it gave some noises when brake applies. When I changed the pads it dissapeared. That is merely due to inferior quality of the pads.

I changed the pads from honda upul at malabe at the cost of 3750 Rs. Initially I spent 12000 Rs for pads at the agent . :D

Normally agents have the genuine spares and that's why they are expensive.But did you have troubles with genuine Brake pads? Worth to know?

I know the cost you mentioned is correct at agents and upul.But I found that low quality pads gives some black powders around the wheel.

thanks for the replies guys. but i'm sorry if i didn't make it clear. the noise comes when the brakes are NOT applied. at very slow speed (driving it outta the house) there's like a *cheep cheep* noise coming. and again it occurs when the car is being taken outta my dad's office. reversing it out etc. it comes only when the car has been stationary for a long time. Once we've driven it abit. no noise at all. :blink: and there isn't a noise at all when the brakes are applied.

well. we all know about the cons and pro's of buying brake pads. Guess luck has to be on your side. I got our pads from G* Au*o in rajagiriya. front pads were 7K, rear pads were 5K. At our loving very affordable Toyota agents, front pads were 12k and read pads were 7k. :angry-smiley-048:

So i'm very anti-agent. Unless your desperate or you got the cash.

thanks for the replies guys. but i'm sorry if i didn't make it clear. the noise comes when the brakes are NOT applied. at very slow speed (driving it outta the house) there's like a *cheep cheep* noise coming. and again it occurs when the car is being taken outta my dad's office. reversing it out etc. it comes only when the car has been stationary for a long time. Once we've driven it abit. no noise at all. :blink: and there isn't a noise at all when the brakes are applied.

well. we all know about the cons and pro's of buying brake pads. Guess luck has to be on your side. I got our pads from G* Au*o in rajagiriya. front pads were 7K, rear pads were 5K. At our loving very affordable Toyota agents, front pads were 12k and read pads were 7k. :angry-smiley-048:

So i'm very anti-agent. Unless your desperate or you got the cash.

Funny. I had those exact symptoms, same noise after car was stationary some time and being moved. Apparently the problem was one of the pistons on the brake assembly getting stuck. Agents sorted it for me (A*W in my case). Took the brakes apart, checked it, said I have funky racing brake pads on my rear disks, greased the pistons and put it back together. Quite expensive, but what the heck.

Normally agents have the genuine spares and that's why they are expensive.But did you have troubles with genuine Brake pads? Worth to know?

I know the cost you mentioned is correct at agents and upul.But I found that low quality pads gives some black powders around the wheel.

the explanation given by the agent is, the one which has been put is for ES 8 and my one is domestic version and the disc material is different and gives a hum. But i totally disagree with the statement because all the discs are same whether it is es1, es5 or es8. And last they said es1 original pads are available and cost is 19000 Rs. I didn't want to spend that much and went to malabe upul's place.

Still I am using upul's pads (Japaneese) with out any problem.

Funny. I had those exact symptoms, same noise after car was stationary some time and being moved. Apparently the problem was one of the pistons on the brake assembly getting stuck. Agents sorted it for me (A*W in my case). Took the brakes apart, checked it, said I have funky racing brake pads on my rear disks, greased the pistons and put it back together. Quite expensive, but what the heck.

oh dear okay. back to the garage it is. :unsure: Thanks mate :) I'll get someone to check out the pistons.

Thanks mate, I checked on it. will see how it goes.

hmm i'll have a guy check it out at the next service.. due in a couple of days. but thanks anyway :)

Machang during the replacement process, sometimes the mechanics due to negligence or brute force tend to bend the metal cowling behind the discs. Jack up the car, remove the wheel, and see if it is touching the discs. If it is, just use a flat screw driver and jimmy it out to its original shape.

Machang during the replacement process, sometimes the mechanics due to negligence or brute force tend to bend the metal cowling behind the discs. Jack up the car, remove the wheel, and see if it is touching the discs. If it is, just use a flat screw driver and jimmy it out to its original shape.

yeah thats true mate, but as far I know, usually, in disk brakes, the pads are always touching the disk very lightly. Thats how they are. But its only a slight touch. This must be higher. I wonder why it happens only after it's been stationary for some time.

yeah thats true mate, but as far I know, usually, in disk brakes, the pads are always touching the disk very lightly. Thats how they are. But its only a slight touch. This must be higher. I wonder why it happens only after it's been stationary for some time.

Not talking about the discs, I am referring to the cowling behind the discs... it is made of of a thin steel plate. That sometimes bends and touch the disc.

Not talking about the discs, I am referring to the cowling behind the discs... it is made of of a thin steel plate. That sometimes bends and touch the disc.

ohh okay. sorry mate my bad. yeah now I know what your talking about. that's a possibility too. will check on that and let you know. Thanks vvti :)

always go for genuine parts, even the oil filter and fuel filter, i also did my car service week ago and it cost me hell of a lot, Oil 9200, Oil Filter 2500, Fuel Filter 8500, Plugs 12000, Brake pads 14000, diff oil 4000,

oh dear okay. back to the garage it is. :unsure: Thanks mate :) I'll get someone to check out the pistons.

u better cus if the brake piston is not releasing it will cause "brake Binding" ur mechanic will remove the caliber and take out the piston, clean it, grease it and check the rubber seals , then hell fix them back, also make sure u change the brake oil

u better cus if the brake piston is not releasing it will cause "brake Binding" ur mechanic will remove the caliber and take out the piston, clean it, grease it and check the rubber seals , then hell fix them back, also make sure u change the brake oil

This is actually a simple DIY. WD40, grease and the necessary tools, plus a bottle of extra brake fluid.

yep this happened to me honda's front left wheel once,right after a repair...i first thought it was something major,but after closer inspection it was indeed the cowling scraping as you said and making the noise...a couple of quick tugs at the cowling fixed it.