• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Leaving A Car Unattended

vitz

Guys, I need to go abroad for 2 months leaving my car unattended. How do I prepare the car and it is necessary to start the vehicle once in a while.

your advices are higly appreciated.

vitz

1- disconnect the battery (if you can let someone use it every now and again to prevent it from dying out)

2- release handbrake (you dont want your pads stuck to the disk) and just pivot the wheels with a log or rock to keep the car from moving

3- close the fresh-air duct on the AC, you dont want a rat colony inside your AC lines.

4- if its in a garage try not to use a car cover. Since you're not going to be opening it up so you might trap a lot of moisture inside it which might lead to rust.

Thats all that I can think of :) anything else, anyone?

1- disconnect the battery (if you can let someone use it every now and again to prevent it from dying out)

2- release handbrake (you dont want your pads stuck to the disk) and just pivot the wheels with a log or rock to keep the car from moving

3- close the fresh-air duct on the AC, you dont want a rat colony inside your AC lines.

4- if its in a garage try not to use a car cover. Since you're not going to be opening it up so you might trap a lot of moisture inside it which might lead to rust.

Thats all that I can think of :) anything else, anyone?

Car cover is anyway not advisable .Once I learned a good lesson. :unsure: I had to repaint most of it.

Leave just enough petrol in the tank for you to go to pump and fill once you return. The water content in petrol makes the tank prone to rust. It's better not to start the car at all than to start it and run it for just a few minutes ever few days. As for the body, give it a good wash and wax it well, that should keep things on the up and up during your absence. That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

to prevent fungus from developing on the dash and uphostery, apply a good interior wax. Go for a good brand and do a trial first in a few not so visible areas to make sure the product does not affect or discolour the plastic. If you've got leather seats, apply a good leather upholstery wax as well

if your car stereo is of the type which comes with a security code, make sure you have the code before disconnecting the battery

inflate the tyres to about 10psi more than your normal running preassure, to prevent them from developing a 'flat spot'

when you park the car for the long storage, make sure the steering is at dead straight

if you got a diesel, drain the fuel filter of any water that may have been trapped in it

leave rat poison or a rat trap in the garage (if you have someone to check the place for dead rats while you are away of course)

And when you get back:

attach the battery (+) first and then just touch the (-) to the terminal, and check for any sparks or smoke before tightening the clamp - rats can create havoc with the wiring

do not use the wipe-wash right away to get the windscreen cleaned. Lift the wipers, wash the glass and remove all dust from the wiper blades using a wet sponge or cloth.

lift the hood, start the car and listen for any slipping belts or unusual sounds from the engine

go back and forth a few times and apply brakes before taking the car on the road. This is to remove rust form the disks / drums. Test your brakes as you gradualy increase speed

constantly check the temp gauge, engine oil bulb and any other warning indicators on the dash for the first day or so of running

Edited by HardHat

Hi

Off the RD web site - dunno how reliable though.

If you are not going to use your car for more than a month, store it properly to prevent unnecessary damage and repairs upon your return.

Fill the gas tank to help prevent condensation from accumulating in the gas tank. Add a fuel stabilizer and drive the car around a bit to distribute the additive to engine parts.

Wash and wax the car thoroughly to protect the finish.

Place a vapor barrier on your garage floor. A 4-mil polyethylene drop cloth will do.

Disengage the parking brake to help avoid brake corrosion.

Put the car on jack stands to take the weight of the vehicle off the wheels and tires.

Disconnect and remove the battery to keep it from draining. Place the battery on a trickletype charger. Or periodically drain the battery, using a small light bulb, and then recharge it with a low-volt charger.

Plug the tailpipe with a rag to prevent moist air from infiltrating into it.

Or you could lend it to one of your buddies on AL ;)

Put the car on jack stands to take the weight of the vehicle off the wheels and tires.

Isnt this a bit on the extreme side though? Afterall ok, its true there might not be any suspension movement while not being used, but now now instead of being motionless at its natural weight equilibrium position we're keeping it motionless in a unnatural state...

He will not leave the car un attended at last. :D:D

Guys,,,, I am impressed with all of your contributions. Inititally I thought to ask somebody to start the vehicle time to time. Beacuse that is what i have heard right thing to do. now i can change my mind!!!!!!. Many thanks for enlighting me with perfect advices.

vitz

Isnt this a bit on the extreme side though? Afterall ok, its true there might not be any suspension movement while not being used, but now now instead of being motionless at its natural weight equilibrium position we're keeping it motionless in a unnatural state...

This is all great advice. I only though disconnecting the battery was enough..

Anyway most car nowadays stay in vehicle yards for months with this recession and all...

Inititally I thought to ask somebody to start the vehicle time to time. Beacuse that is what i have heard right thing to do.....

vitz

No point on starting and running the engine for few minutes time as the battery can't even get the power (which it used to run the starter motor to start the engine) back from few minutes of stationary run. Also stopping the engine before it reaches the running temperature will lead to serious sludge problems.

And if you run the engine for a longer time or take the car out for a run just for the sake of powering battery will cost you the fuel and time. So the best way is disconnecting the battery terminals and leave the car.

Personally I have lot of experience on this as I have been flying a lot in the last three years and I traveled once or twice a month and sometimes stayed out of the country for up to two months. Trust me, I never did any of the above precautions as I travel very often and don't have that much patience to do these things each and every time I fly away. But never had any issues though. I just park the car at the portico and fly. And some times even after two months the car starts fine and well.

leave rat poison or a rat trap in the garage (if you have someone to check the place for dead rats while you are away of course)

To avoid rats getting into the engine compartment, hang a couple of air fresheners inside the engine compartment. I've been having this problem of rats in the garden getting into the engine compartment, and this solution has worked for me.

To avoid rats getting into the engine compartment, hang a couple of air fresheners inside the engine compartment. I've been having this problem of rats in the garden getting into the engine compartment, and this solution has worked for me.

ahh, does that work? thanks Az. I've been having the rat problem for quite a while now as I'm regualrly out of the country 2-3 months at a time. Luckily they so far chewed on non-essentials like A/C power supply and horn wires. If I see a rat these days it will be too soon!

ahh, does that work? thanks Az. I've been having the rat problem for quite a while now as I'm regualrly out of the country 2-3 months at a time. Luckily they so far chewed on non-essentials like A/C power supply and horn wires. If I see a rat these days it will be too soon!

Yes it works. I was also worried about this problem for sometime, and when I went to check my battery, the guy there noticed muddy rat foot prints all around the place and said that I should hang a Toilet air freshener. I have tried it and it works!

:lol: good one!

i'd contemplate volunteering depending on how interesting a drive it is! :D

LOL me too actually

Probably is. BTW, ever pass by those car sales where vehicles are run up rocks just to look good. Doesn't that hurt the suspension/ alignment?