• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Drags On 24th

RACERSEDGE

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may b da first ever legal drag but also could be last if any fatal accident occur, specialy to peds. Resulting in banning drags for good(even good ol GP). Closing da gate for much better organised drags in the future. Its a miracle no such thing happen. By saying that we still hav a chance to organise a "proper" drag event...

Thoroughly disappointing and thankful I didn't take my car. Organizing was poor but the main problem was crowd control. Even after repeated requests from the officials to get off the damn track the public just didn't give a F**K! Absurd!!

Track was downright dangerous for any high powered car to run which left the 1500 and 1600s only and yet even they did not get a chance to do so. After spending an F load of cash on preparing the cars and on fuel and effort (I left home with a dazzling WHITE T-shirt and arrived in Kuru with a YELLOW one due to weight reduction hence no air-con in Gihan's baby) on making the drive to kuru all the boys were left with watching some bike races! The only excitement for US was letting the car go for about 300m on the track on our way out of the damn place! Took the bend and "Oh SH*T barriers!" Rev-match, down-shift and sat on the brakes to stop the car. All this done way before some dude with a checkered flag was waving at us! Poor sod must have been wondering where the other car was! Clearly, if we had braked at the so called Finish line we would have ended up using a top-mount inter-cooler for Gihan's car!

Regarding the REFRESHMENT stand. We went to the joint to slake our thirst immediately after arriving at the venue and when asked to give us a cool bottle of H2O, the guy fishes one out of a blue barrel. My insides did a flip at the sight of the thing when it came out! Covered in grass and mud! Now, I may be a little pampered, being that I fly for the national airline and all but I can hack it too......when REQUIRED to........but this was just ridiculous! When asked to wipe it clean, he gives me a funny-man look! The food I JUST WILL NOT go into! Hygiene was of a piss poor standard.

Overall the crowd missed a great opportunity to witness some GREAT cars perform that night! Apparently, the MONSTER Sky had been specially prepped for the event with a lot of money, time and effort. Gihan and I had the chance to take a peek under the hood of the thing and it blew our minds!

A bad day of drags at GP was a far sight better than what we saw at Kuru!

All that being said, the guys that organized this even must be given a pat on the back for atleast trying to do something of this nature and as Miniace said it's our turn to show them how it's really done!

A major waste of a nice Saturday IMHO! :angry:

Thoroughly disappointing and thankful I didn't take my car. Organizing was poor but the main problem was crowd control. Even after repeated requests from the officials to get off the damn track the public just didn't give a F**K! Absurd!!

Track was downright dangerous for any high powered car to run which left the 1500 and 1600s only and yet even they did not get a chance to do so. After spending an F load of cash on preparing the cars and on fuel and effort (I left home with a dazzling WHITE T-shirt and arrived in Kuru with a YELLOW one due to weight reduction hence no air-con in Gihan's baby) on making the drive to kuru all the boys were left with watching some bike races! The only excitement for US was letting the car go for about 300m on the track on our way out of the damn place! Took the bend and "Oh SH*T barriers!" Rev-match, down-shift and sat on the brakes to stop the car. All this done way before some dude with a checkered flag was waving at us! Poor sod must have been wondering where the other car was! Clearly, if we had braked at the so called Finish line we would have ended up using a top-mount inter-cooler for Gihan's car!

Regarding the REFRESHMENT stand. We went to the joint to slake our thirst immediately after arriving at the venue and when asked to give us a cool bottle of H2O, the guy fishes one out of a blue barrel. My insides did a flip at the sight of the thing when it came out! Covered in grass and mud! Now, I may be a little pampered, being that I fly for the national airline and all but I can hack it too......when REQUIRED to........but this was just ridiculous! When asked to wipe it clean, he gives me a funny-man look! The food I JUST WILL NOT go into! Hygiene was of a piss poor standard.

Overall the crowd missed a great opportunity to witness some GREAT cars perform that night! Apparently, the MONSTER Sky had been specially prepped for the event with a lot of money, time and effort. Gihan and I had the chance to take a peek under the hood of the thing and it blew our minds!

A bad day of drags at GP was a far sight better than what we saw at Kuru!

All that being said, the guys that organized this even must be given a pat on the back for atleast trying to do something of this nature and as Miniace said it's our turn to show them how it's really done!

A major waste of a nice Saturday IMHO! :angry:

lol, isn't it nice to do 290km's for the day in a car with no comfort, no Aircon, no carpets, interior, seat belts, one controller to open and close all 4 windows, 2 bolts for the passenger seat and non for the rear :lol: we should have gone straight to nuwara eliya and had a maxxa time there instead of wasting out time at Sux-City

lol, isn't it nice to do 290km's for the day in a car with no comfort, no Aircon, no carpets, interior, seat belts, one controller to open and close all 4 windows, 2 bolts for the passenger seat and non for the rear :lol: we should have gone straight to nuwara eliya and had a maxxa time there instead of wasting out time at Sux-City

2 bolts that CAME OFF!!! yeah man could have had a really good time if we had gone :(

Yep, that car's owner went thru a lot of hassle to prepare the car specially for this event, it was totally dissapointing not being able to see it run

Oh boy, looks like it was a major cock up neda? I was kicking myself on saturday for not being able to go but looks like i didnt miss anything hehe..

Y'knw, as mini pointed out, maybe its time we colombo boys tried to look into getting something proper organized... I mean there are a lot of guys on AL right, and im sure we all know somebody who knows somebody who can help with this.... MADZ what say you? we could at least do some inquiring and see if its at all possible right?

even though the event was a complete mess up, this isn't the first time kuru has had issue like this. the last kuru road races also had tons of problems with crowd control. this seems to an ongoing issue.

props to the organizers for trying something like this and managing to close a road. just wish they closed the road they said they would.

and getting back to drags in colombo, i doubt there is any possibility of closing GP or parliament stretch. i'm not aware of any other road other than ekala but even that is a main connecting road and with past history at ekala,i have my doubts if cops would give permission

only possibility i see if the new airport colombo highway, if we can find a done stretch. there maybe a possibility to run it there.

I was making all efforts to join with Bugatti & the rest but sadly unable to due to commitments – I would have been pissing mad if I had

Looks like it was a total waste of time – saw the pics and can safely say I agree with all

Very poor show by the organizers even through they had police approvals with the place swarming with police – looks like they too were clueless on what was going on

Ya we should organize one herein CMB – more than willing to help in any way possible

If people were willing to go to Kuru for drags i don't see why Katu isn't a possibility..... A nice evening-night drag could be organized there with the proper people and security. That place in Kuru looks absurd.... But quite a few police personnal... Anyway props for trying to do something like this....

Did the RR and DC5 race in GP???? Anyone knows the result???

Obtaining permission from MoD for Katu is a big problem.we tried many times...failed.

MINIACE

Wont SLARDAR be able to get permission and have a 1 day drag session? Or is that asking for too much? :unsure:

EKALA

if permission is granted do you think a Official Racing Body would be interested in organizing such event.

MoD requires Motorsports Govening body's nod.Basic SLAS requirements are rollcage,Racing suits including helmets and proper seat harness.further a SLAS recognized club should organize the meet.Need to cross very important hurdles.

MINIACE

If people were willing to go to Kuru for drags i don't see why Katu isn't a possibility..... A nice evening-night drag could be organized there with the proper people and security. That place in Kuru looks absurd.... But quite a few police personnal... Anyway props for trying to do something like this....

Did the RR and DC5 race in GP???? Anyone knows the result???

if u referring to the Drag at GP before Kuru then DC5 won by a 1 car lead