• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Handling Of Toyota Corolla 121

JAFF

guyz,

is toyota corolla 121 a stable car when it comes to handling? i got to know that the handling of that car is very poor when compared to other cars such as allion, carina, premio etc, is it true?

Edited by JAFF

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guyz,

is toyota corolla 121 a stable car when it comes to handling? i got to know that the handling of that car is very poor when compared to other cars such as allion, carina, premio etc, is it true?

I haven't got any hands-on experience but I once heard that it's good in handling such that the steering wheel even can be turn by ur fingers.

But anyway, the most experience drivers who really care about the handling (including racing drivers) say that the best ever car[ignore racing cars and consider domestic sedans] in terms of handling is:

The new "Mazda 3"

Edited by Uditha88

I haven't got any hads-on experience but I once heard that it's good in handling such that the steering wheel even can be turn by ur fingers.

But anyway the most experience expert say that the best ever car in terms of handling is:

The new "Mazda 3"

The reason it can be steered that easy is because of the electronic power steering system (2003 model and upwards). But based on my personal experience, the allion is much more pleasant to drive. The steering has a sporty feeling to it. I guess the added comfort also helps

But none of these cars are build to handle well as a sports car! and i have also heard about the mazda 3 having great handling!

I haven't got any hads-on experience but I once heard that it's good in handling such that the steering wheel even can be turn by ur fingers.

But anyway the most experience expert say that the best ever car in terms of handling is:

The new "Mazda 3"

:)

no comments :P

A little strong with the sarcasm there VVTi.

JAFF - no, it is not stable at speed. The EPS means it is very easy to turn at low speeds but the suspension is too soft, the steering is too unresponsive and the EPS has a slight delay that means at speed, it wallows, your guessing and its late.

One thing i have notice in EPS is that at slow speeds the steering is much easier than HPS. But at higher speeds the other way around

that's an obvious safety feature cos you wouldn't want to have a softer steering at fast speeds that will get you into trouble very fast!

121 depends on what version the export model which is imported as brand new car

which got a different suspension ids poor compared to the same model JDM.

That's because, Brand new exported ones got the "Rough Road Package". suspension specially made for our kinds of roads. Ground clearance is bit higher than JDMs and Shock absorbers are bit tougher than JDMs, extra engine guards (Sump Guards etc). i think this is common for other Brands as well.

That's because, Brand new exported ones got the "Rough Road Package". suspension specially made for our kinds of roads. Ground clearance is bit higher than JDMs and Shock absorbers are bit tougher than JDMs, extra engine guards (Sump Guards etc). i think this is common for other Brands as well.

so thats why the weight of brand new models are slightly higher than JDM's,right??

A little strong with the sarcasm there VVTi.

JAFF - no, it is not stable at speed. The EPS means it is very easy to turn at low speeds but the suspension is too soft, the steering is too unresponsive and the EPS has a slight delay that means at speed, it wallows, your guessing and its late.

Wha??? I just asked... ;)

Anyway... the 2006 121 we had had EPS and it made it feel like it was a cake beater in molten butter. BUT in the book it said constant turning causes it to heat up, and lock up. I actually put it to the test and gave it the beans.. nothing happened.

handling wise, the 121 feels very soft and rather 'skippy'. This was a Brand New, bought from the agent. But then... I haven't driven a Mazda 3.

so you're not an expert eh? :rolleyes:

driven EPS vehicles and I for one don't get the response and the driving pleasure of a hydraulic PAS, it's too toy and babish in my thinking. I may be wrong here, me no expert.

Not yet... waiting to drive the Mazda 3.

I think the mistake here is to even consider the 121... or any Corolla for that matter as cars that were designed to give you that elusive 'Driving Pleasure'.

Cars that give you a feel of the road, transfer your actions to somewhat precise turns and moves are rare. Dare I say that some of those are not your daily runners. But then the EK3s, the Mazda BG3s and the BG5s, Nissans and Subarus (the factory tuned versions) are in that category where the car gives the driver a fair bit of road feel. And they are Daily runners.

I am sorry, like someone's tag line here says... Toyota Corolla's ARE lumps of shapeless flour. But Toyota do make cars like the Supra, the MR2 and the Celica. Now they tell you everything to you and take back your instructions to the T back on to the wheels.

I've driven both the 121 and Mazda3... And yes, the Mazda 3 handles better... I tested it doing a Zig Zag at about 70 km/h... (in both cars) the 121, felt like it would over turn.

Edited by Bugatti

I am sorry, like someone's tag line here says... Toyota Corolla's ARE lumps of shapeless flour. But Toyota do make cars like the Supra, the MR2 and the Celica. Now they tell you everything to you and take back your instructions to the T back on to the wheels.

i know you're referring to me, i was just kidding mate ;) corolla is a well built car but im wondering why the handling is so poor in such a great car.....

i know you're referring to me, i was just kidding mate ;) corolla is a well built car but im wondering why the handling is so poor in such a great car.....

No machang. I think Supra Natural has that tag line... look it up. ;0

so you're not an expert eh? :rolleyes:

driven EPS vehicles and I for one don't get the response and the driving pleasure of a hydraulic PAS, it's too toy and babish in my thinking. I may be wrong here, me no expert.

i've driven a bnew mazda 3...pretty much floored it and i really loved the steering feel. the smaller wheel and that too being a bit more weighted than your average daily runner really gives you good feel of what the car is doing :) taking corners and coming out of them and speeds too isn't that scary...

me no expert too but it felt way better than the stock corolla or the mainstream nissans i've driven...including the legendary p11...

But then the EK3s, the Mazda BG3s and the BG5s, Nissans and Subarus (the factory tuned versions) are in that category where the car gives the driver a fair bit of road feel. And they are Daily runners.

this sadly i disagree with :P not because i drive a corolla but for the simple reason that i haven't noticed ANY difference between my old sprinter and say an N16 or a FB15 in terms of road feel. compared to something like a mazda 3, a "daily runner" nissan is as boring as a corolla.

I've not seen "factory tuned" fb15's or n16's so maybe that's the reason :P

No machang. I think Supra Natural has that tag line... look it up. ;0

hmm...i think SN withdrew that line after owning or trashing about in a corolla and didn't quite agree with JC on that whole flour thing :)

121's Steering is very smooth.. but handling wise.. it's ok.. not great... has more body roll than a Civic or a Premio (guess it's cos the 121 has higher seating position & the suspension is diff on it than a civic) ... but it's a very comfy car because it has softer suspension.