• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Od Off

Flanker_07

hI

i AM new to nissan, i have a FB-15 , There is a button in my gear , when i press it i get a message in the dash board 'OD off'.

What is that actually?

It the Over Drive button you get in all automatics. Generally your automatic would be 4 speed. Switching OD off would prevent the gear shifting to the 4th. Its vital when you are hill climbing or tugging a heavy load, to ensure that your gear stays in a level to give sufficient power. Some one correct me if im wrong

It the Over Drive button you get in all automatics. Generally your automatic would be 4 speed. Switching OD off would prevent the gear shifting to the 4th. Its vital when you are hill climbing or tugging a heavy load, to ensure that your gear stays in a level to give sufficient power. Some one correct me if im wrong

What I thought is other way around.

If you are climbing a hill auto gear box will definitely changes to lower gears and giving you more power. But if you are coming down in a hill with auto gear box, with increasing speed and acceleration due to gravity will take you to higher gear, resulting uncontrollable speed. Once the over drive is off you will have more control over the speed as gear box limit the maximum speed. This is similar to we down shift to 4th - 3rd or 2nd in manual gears when climbing down in a heavy slope.

If you are climbing a hill auto gear box will definitely changes to lower gears and giving you more power. But if you are coming down in a hill with auto gear box, with increasing speed and acceleration due to gravity will take you to higher gear, resulting uncontrollable speed. Once the over drive is off you will have more control over the speed as gear box limit the maximum speed. This is similar to we down shift to 4th - 3rd or 2nd in manual gears when climbing down in a heavy slope.

yep. Ur right buddy!

:)

Yep, you can switch off od and climb down hill the same way, to avoid the gear being changed to a higher gear and remain on the 3rd gear

recommended gear on downhills is either 2 or 1 or L on autoboxes.. not D with OD off AFAIK

Well can someone pls clarify this -- my ck2 - Mirage auto gear doesn't have the above gear order. its --- L --2--3 & D [then N & R & P]

[compared to other cars seen which are L, 2, D, N, R & P]

Also NO O/D.

i also noticed that when coming downhill - it changes to a higher gear automatically. [not because of slowing down}

anyone else has the same experience?

also from this post - it seems auto gear box has only 4 forward gears. true or have i misunderstood?

thanks.

Well can someone pls clarify this -- my ck2 - Mirage auto gear doesn't have the above gear order. its --- L --2--3 & D [then N & R & P]

Also NO O/D.

i also noticed that when coming downhill - it changes to a higher gear automatically. [not because of slowing down}

also from this post - it seems auto gear box has only 4 forward gears. true or have i misunderstood?

thanks.

different standards mate, that's why i said L and 1. Some manufacturers use 1,2 where as some use L, 2 and so on. Yours od is not there coz it has seperate 3re position where gears will change up to 3 similar to D with OD off and D will change into 4th gear similar to OD on of other cars.

Also NO O/D.

thanks.

Guess it's Gate type shifter?? like this

dsc00269sy1.jpg

if the gear is in position "3" then it equals to OD off mode. if it's in "D" then it's normal mode.. My car has the same Layout and it's a 4 Speed box.

different standards mate, that's why i said L and 1. Some manufacturers use 1,2 where as some use L, 2 and so on. Yours od is not there coz it has seperate 3re position where gears will change up to 3 similar to D with OD off and D will change into 4th gear similar to OD on of other cars.

thanks - harshansenadhir -- got it.

therefore according to your earlier post - its recommended to put to 3 or 2 in my car- when going downhill? --[depending on the decline]

thanks ruslan for the reply. in reply to ur question - no - mine is not like that -- its a basic [straight up & down] shift with the button on top of the gear lever.

thanks - harshansenadhir -- got it.

therefore according to your earlier post - its recommended to put to 3 or 2 in my car- when going downhill? --[depending on the decline]

thanks ruslan for the reply. in reply to ur question - no - mine is not like that -- its a basic [straight up & down] shift with the button on top of the gear lever.

going down steep down hills should be either on 2 or L/1 depending on the level of steep.