• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Assembly In Sri Lanka

racerx

I was told there is a guy that brings down land rover defender "kits" and assembles them in Sri Lanka and its cheaper than buying from frontier. I See that LR assembles defenders in Pakistan so why would it not be done here. Also if we can assemble the mirco SUV, why not a defender.

Thanks for any info

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Land Rover and Jaguar Assembly projects in SL few months time back. Bt not sure whether they are still functional, special after Minister Champika's policy to only allow below 2000 cc vehicles to assemble in SL, which stopped assemmbling Rexton in SL too.

There was a Land Rover and Jaguar Assembly projects in SL few months time back. Bt not sure whether they are still functional, special after Minister Champika's policy to only allow below 2000 cc vehicles to assemble in SL, which stopped assemmbling Rexton in SL too.

So what about buses, trucks etc. I know we should be environmentally friendly, but wouldnt importing vehicles with bigger engines also erode our foreign reserves? and of which a significant portion could be saved by assembling them here.

So what about buses, trucks etc. I know we should be environmentally friendly, but wouldnt importing vehicles with bigger engines also erode our foreign reserves? and of which a significant portion could be saved by assembling them here.

Sir,

First was to assemble in resent past was Micro Car he had lot of problems in registering same Wasna trades already assembling a Diesel van Indra Trades also got approval I was told to assemble a Chinese Vehicle as BOI wants 30% Srilanka input for Vehicles assembled here Can import in CKD form parts which are unable to manufacture here do all inside cab work and painting Etc Etc.

I hope new government will encourage this type of projects in future. Small car 5 seats small Van like D*MO batta under Rupees 500000.00

In 1978 cost was Rupees 29000.00 of a single light Mitsubishi was with duty paid they all had new Tires Battery and new paint at that time they were called reconditioned Vehicles selling at Rupees 40000.00.

I tried to import Mazda Batta van in early 1980 but due to GVW problem Srilanka Customs refused to allow same.

Then I Imported Lite ace Vans with 9 seats fitted got chamber of commerce in Japan to certify that this is modified in Japan although GVW was less on lite ace Toyota Vans at that time 9 seat passenger Vehicles was allowed.

Some importers of Motor Vehicles saw Lite ace petrol vans running in Srilanka imported number of them without converting to 9 seats. All those importers had to pay penalty for importing Low GVW Vans. Because GVW was less than 1750 Kg.

After SLT management went to Japanese they were allowed to import small Batta Vans for their service vehicles. After that only Government allowed 600KG GVW Vehicles to import.

Wijesinghe

That's how the system works mate. No point in arguing abt it. Finally it's us who appoing those f**king idiots to the Parliament :angry-smiley-048: .

Bigger engines also fall in a higher tax bracket, so assembling them here erodes govt tax income too. <shrug>

So what was the point in imposing this 2000CC ban? Environmental issues? That seems just plain ridiculous to me... When Malaysia had a high import on cars similar to our present structure, at least they encouraged local car production!

This I think is a useless topic. It will have a natural death. No point in arguing why X, Y or Z models are not manufactured here. There is no end to the topic. Well there are plenty of things that are manufactured in other countries which are not manufactured in Sri Lanka (not only vehicles).

This I think is a useless topic. It will have a natural death. No point in arguing why X, Y or Z models are not manufactured here. There is no end to the topic. Well there are plenty of things that are manufactured in other countries which are not manufactured in Sri Lanka (not only vehicles).

beg to differ mate, we're discussing about vehicles in this forum, so other commodities not mantufactured in Sri Lanka will not be applicable.

However there are very few initiatives in SL for vehicle assembling, let alone there's no manufacturing and with crazy import duties and being an island we're compelled to ship vehicles which incurs a shipping value and it all end up buying a good brand new or truely reconditioned vehicle as silvy mentioned is almost impossible for most of common man. Therefore the assembling subject tempting all who wants to get a good brand with near original build quality and is done everywhere globally.

India started with assembling vehicles under license and look at where are they in terms of manufacturing of vehicles? in fact Sri lanka first started assembling back in 70's, famous Upali Mazda and Upali Fiat by Upali Motors and Isuzu TXD by Sathosa Motors. Every state owned bus, be it a TATA, ISUZU or LEYLAND was built here using the chassis as only import. Where are those initiatives now?

this is something as a country we should re-start, we got all the skills and know how and we're nation reputed for creativity.

So what was the point in imposing this 2000CC ban? Environmental issues? That seems just plain ridiculous to me... When Malaysia had a high import on cars similar to our present structure, at least they encouraged local car production!

Yap. They says bigger engines tends to Pollute more. But the funny thing is then put the impose only in the local assemblies. Not the imports,event the recondition ones.

beg to differ mate, we're discussing about vehicles in this forum, so other commodities not manufactured in Sri Lanka will not be applicable.

However there are very few initiatives in SL for vehicle assembling, let alone there's no manufacturing and with crazy import duties and being an island we're compelled to ship vehicles which incurs a shipping value and it all end up buying a good brand new or truely reconditioned vehicle as silvy mentioned is almost impossible for most of common man. Therefore the assembling subject tempting all who wants to get a good brand with near original build quality and is done everywhere globally.

India started with assembling vehicles under license and look at where are they in terms of manufacturing of vehicles? in fact Sri lanka first started assembling back in 70's, famous Upali Mazda and Upali Fiat by Upali Motors and Isuzu TXD by Sathosa Motors. Every state owned bus, be it a TATA, ISUZU or LEYLAND was built here using the chassis as only import. Where are those initiatives now?

this is something as a country we should re-start, we got all the skills and know how and we're nation reputed for creativity.

Sir,

I appreciate for your comment Srilanka first Unit#d Mot#rs assembled 100 SKODA OCTAVIA cars and Japanese Mitsubishi Colt as I can remember Skoda was all 4 SRI numbers then only Upali Started First Upali's MAZDA was presented to Kelaniya Temple Chief Prest Vigitha Dammarakitha if my memory is correct. Any mistakes what I have written above I apologize for same.

We must all get to gather as this forum have many qualified people in motoring field with lot of inborn skills.

Now we have Very good Auto detailing centers with modern technological Vehicle repair handling units are introduced to the country since the free imports were relaxed for automobiles.

In late 1980 there was no proper car auto detailing centers.In 1988 Mr,Ranjan Rathnasena started first professional car cleaning center. "CLEAN PARK" at Dehiwala with one high pressure washer one vacuum cleaner with few workers today hundred other auto dealing centers have established around the country followed his foot steps.

Car Painting Booths, collision repair alignment units was introduced to the country motorists also are now much more educated in quality repairs and maintaining automobiles in high standards.

I suggest this forum should give a start back again to assemble utility Gasoline Diesel or LPG operated vehicles so that every average person will be able to use them at an affordable cost.

This cannot be done with out government giving their support to our local talented management staff and technicians which are very necessary for coming years to come.

I hope and wish this forum will take some action for my suggestion.

Wijesinghe.

beg to differ mate, we're discussing about vehicles in this forum, so other commodities not mantufactured in Sri Lanka will not be applicable.

Well said :)

According to another topic in this forum there are vehicles being assembled in minuwangoda.... I won't hijack this thred though.... :rolleyes:

Well said :)

According to another topic in this forum there are vehicles being assembled in minuwangoda.... I won't hijack this thred though.... :rolleyes:

Sir,

I was informed few months back HUMMER Jeep was assembled in Srilanka by a leading Automobile Engine re conditioner in Colombo for Export to Australia and Japan right hand drive version. I do not know how far this is correct if I write is not correct I apologize for the above comment.

In Srilanka there is one which is converted in Canada to right hand drive I have seen number of them running with Garage plates in Colombo.

Wijesinghe.

Sir,

I was informed few months back HUMMER Jeep was assembled in Srilanka by a leading Automobile Engine re conditioner in Colombo for Export to Australia and Japan right hand drive version. I do not know how far this is correct if I write is not correct I apologize for the above comment.

In Srilanka there is one which is converted in Canada to right hand drive I have seen number of them running with Garage plates in Colombo.

Wijesinghe.

They're not being 'assembled'. They're just being converted to RHD.

Sir,

Wijesinghe.

Currently Hummer factory is in Louisianna USA. They built both right and left hand drives. I'm not sure of canada though.

This is fantastic! Hey Sri Lankans with the help of this thread Sri Lanka is going to start assembly of most loved vehicles of Sri Lanka. Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sunny, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer, Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan Petrol, Land Cruiser, ..... Well BMW 7 series, Mecedes 500 series ++++ phew!!! My FOOT! Do something worthwhile please :angry-smiley-048:

Better off discussing why Sri Lanka doesn't want to send people to the moon!

Edited by L board

This is fantastic! Hey Sri Lankans with the help of this thread Sri Lanka is going to start assembly of most loved vehicles of Sri Lanka. Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sunny, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer, Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan Petrol, Land Cruiser, ..... Well BMW 7 series, Mecedes 500 series ++++ phew!!! My FOOT! Do something worthwhile please :angry-smiley-048:

Better off discussing why Sri Lanka doesn't want to send people to the moon!

people like you will drag this country back by decades. At least be happy of what initiatives we have here in terms of assembling automobiles. I wouldn't say that by discussing it here will do magic. but we got to have right attitude towards it. Used vehicle assembling was a good news for some people whom couldn't afford an unreg vehicle, but then again vehicle importers filed a case against it and a boi approved venture and its customers going through hell to register those. There's something wrong in the equation, shouldn't we more focus on saving foreign exchang and promote local value addition? And as original poster says, why not landy if rexton, kyron are being assembled.

Back on the original topic, any news on the tentative LR and Jag assembling projects?

Currently Hummer factory is in Louisianna USA. They built both right and left hand drives. I'm not sure of canada though.

BUILT - being the key word here (past tense). I don't think they do any longer. Plus I've never seen new Hummers at dealerships. Colombo seems to have more hummers than they do here in Ohio!

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13...duction-to-end/

BUILT - being the key word here (past tense). I don't think they do any longer. Plus I've never seen new Hummers at dealerships. Colombo seems to have more hummers than they do here in Ohio!

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13...duction-to-end/

That's right!!

I went to test drive a H2 here in STL and found out that chineese are not going to buy the hummer anymore and the Hummer Plant has laid-off so many workers.

But they told me that in 2011 they are to introduce H4 with a Diesel engine (right and left hand). I dont know how much is true in that though...

http://www.gmhummer.com/

people like you will drag this country back by decades. At least be happy of what initiatives we have here in terms of assembling automobiles. I wouldn't say that by discussing it here will do magic. but we got to have right attitude towards it. Used vehicle assembling was a good news for some people whom couldn't afford an unreg vehicle, but then again vehicle importers filed a case against it and a boi approved venture and its customers going through hell to register those. There's something wrong in the equation, shouldn't we more focus on saving foreign exchang and promote local value addition? And as original poster says, why not landy if rexton, kyron are being assembled.

Back on the original topic, any news on the tentative LR and Jag assembling projects?

Ok please keep me updated when the positive thinking of this thread gets LR, Jags etc assembled in Sri Lanka. I would like to at least see one assembled over here (since I cant afford to buy one)

:angry-smiley-048:

I believe something is radically wrong with the theories such as "economic feasibility and economies of scale"

Used vehicle assembling was a good news for some people whom couldn't afford an unreg vehicle, but then again vehicle importers filed a case against it and a boi approved venture and its customers going through hell to register those. There's something wrong in the equation, shouldn't we more focus on saving foreign exchang and promote local value addition?

You got a very good point. But if you closely scrutinize the existing vehicle assembly operations in SL you'll see local value addition even though it’s in the rule book is none existence and same applies to the forex outflow. Radical reduction of price in these assembled vehicles is mainly due to not having to pay the full amount of taxes and custom duty, not because the initial CIF value is low (it is somewhat low but not a great deal).

Assembling vehicles locally is definitely the way forward but i'm afraid existing operations have add no value to the local economy other than couple of dozen individuals getting employment and handful of individuals becoming multi millionaires.