• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Has Any One Bought Anything From E Bay ?

Sumiya

Hi Guys

Actualy i want to bring down some automative parts down here directly, i dont what rules and regulation and taxes behind those purchsing, i need to know those conditions and procedure and reliability of their service

thanks

Regards

sumith

I've been buying off ebay for the past 7 odd years or so... way before even paypal was made available and at that time a service called bidpay was used and/or direct credit card payments. Little to no safety unlike with paypal.

anyway... i've bought a fair bit of fishing tackle and some stuff for my bikes. Once got a racing exhaust shipped down for my XR :)

almost all of my stuff have been shipped to SL and yes larger packages tend to get detained at the general post office.

They send you a letter saying that there's a package under your name and for you to come and pick it up after customs inspection.

So once you go there and after staying in the queue for sometime you get called in and they open your package in front of you.

customs folks will check invoices and stuff that comes with the pack to ascertain the value and if those are not present and they think the shown value is in accurate...they themselves will put a value and tax you accordingly.

On very good days...they tax you like only 100 bucks and let you go with your goods...

Say when i got a silencer shipped down...they taxed me like 300 bucks only for something that was valued over 15 grand...

D2D delivery is done if you shipped your stuff with a premium service like fedex or ups. they will pay the customs taxes and claim it from you.

I mostly use standard USPS shipping when getting stuff down from the US cos that's the cheapest.

See when customs tax you...they tax you for the full value including shipping costs and insurance costs :)

Hi Guys

Actualy i want to bring down some automative parts down here directly, i dont what rules and regulation and taxes behind those purchsing, i need to know those conditions and procedure and reliability of their service

thanks

Regards

sumith

I have bought many automotive parts, they do charge a bit more for these compared to other stuff. And one thing I noticed was if some item is new and shiny, customs people tend to tax a bit more, if the same item looks used and dirty, you can save some buck lol. Reliability depends on the Ebay seller, read & research the listing well before you buy and make sure seller has 15+ ratings with 100% positive feedback, according to my most US sellers are legit and anyway Paypal has methods for buyers to claim payments if need arises.

I've been buying off ebay for the past 7 odd years or so... way before even paypal was made available and at that time a service called bidpay was used and/or direct credit card payments. Little to no safety unlike with paypal.

anyway... i've bought a fair bit of fishing tackle and some stuff for my bikes. Once got a racing exhaust shipped down for my XR :)

almost all of my stuff have been shipped to SL and yes larger packages tend to get detained at the general post office.

They send you a letter saying that there's a package under your name and for you to come and pick it up after customs inspection.

So once you go there and after staying in the queue for sometime you get called in and they open your package in front of you.

customs folks will check invoices and stuff that comes with the pack to ascertain the value and if those are not present and they think the shown value is in accurate...they themselves will put a value and tax you accordingly.

On very good days...they tax you like only 100 bucks and let you go with your goods...

Say when i got a silencer shipped down...they taxed me like 300 bucks only for something that was valued over 15 grand...

D2D delivery is done if you shipped your stuff with a premium service like fedex or ups. they will pay the customs taxes and claim it from you.

I mostly use standard USPS shipping when getting stuff down from the US cos that's the cheapest.

See when customs tax you...they tax you for the full value including shipping costs and insurance costs :)

this is really helpful, Thanks for sharing ripper,

One quick question, Can I transfer money from my local a/c to my paypal A/C ?

this is really helpful, Thanks for sharing ripper,

One quick question, Can I transfer money from my local a/c to my paypal A/C ?

No, read the link given by "sanjeew" above ^^

I have bought many automotive parts, they do charge a bit more for these compared to other stuff. And one thing I noticed was if some item is new and shiny, customs people tend to tax a bit more, if the same item looks used and dirty, you can save some buck lol. Reliability depends on the Ebay seller, read & research the listing well before you buy and make sure seller has 15+ ratings with 100% positive feedback, according to my most US sellers are legit and anyway Paypal has methods for buyers to claim payments if need arises.

so true about the dirty goods thing...

i once had this massive fishing reel shipped down. it was nasty looking with some oxidation built up on the chrome...

the seller had put the actual value on it which was like 12 or 15 grand but the customs dude didn't even want to touch the damn thing :P

he just peeped into the box..."ah ne...me parana ekak ne" and just gave it to me without any tax :)

bought the thing home and after a good brasso session it's now looking as good as new :)

so true about the dirty goods thing...

i once had this massive fishing reel shipped down. it was nasty looking with some oxidation built up on the chrome...

the seller had put the actual value on it which was like 12 or 15 grand but the customs dude didn't even want to touch the damn thing :P

he just peeped into the box..."ah ne...me parana ekak ne" and just gave it to me without any tax :)

bought the thing home and after a good brasso session it's now looking as good as new :)

Hah hahh yeah, my experience was with 2 exhaust mufflers, one was cheap, all shiny $40, had to pay 3k, other was $100+ something but all dusty and not so shiny, got 1.5k for it lol. So bling bling == tax++ :D

Hi Ripper,

so if i bring down an used Gauge worth 50 U$$, with shipping and taxes will i be able to take it down arround 10K-13K ?

what do you think ?

Thanks

Regards

sumith

well i'm assuming this gauge is a smaller unit and lightweight too.

If you dont ship through EMS or any other fancier shipping service...chances are that it will get delivered to your door step without any taxing.

case in point... i bought and old manual russian camera lens recently... it was like 4k with shipping but since the size and the weight is small....customs folks didn't detain it. So i got it to my office in regular mail :) no taxes, no time wasted and the GPO waiting on queues etc

well i'm assuming this gauge is a smaller unit and lightweight too.

If you dont ship through EMS or any other fancier shipping service...chances are that it will get delivered to your door step without any taxing.

case in point... i bought and old manual russian camera lens recently... it was like 4k with shipping but since the size and the weight is small....customs folks didn't detain it. So i got it to my office in regular mail :) no taxes, no time wasted and the GPO waiting on queues etc

But it depends on size + value + shape/weight of the item. And ya the country it is shipped from, most US, UK stuff get detained, while I once got a large package from New Zealand, straight to home.

IMO, if the packaging is unassuming and compact, they will let it through. I've bought several small but costly ($300+) items, mostly watches, and never once had them detained by customs. However, a new body for one of my R/Cs, that cost me less than $60 shipped, was held up at the parcel post office. I had to waste over an hour of my time and close to 800 bucks to clear it. The only difference was the large 3 foot, as opposed to the small packages my watches came in (with the exception of a few G shocks and Suuntos).

IMO, if the packaging is unassuming and compact, they will let it through. I've bought several small but costly ($300+) items, mostly watches, and never once had them detained by customs. However, a new body for one of my R/Cs, that cost me less than $60 shipped, was held up at the parcel post office. I had to waste over an hour of my time and close to 800 bucks to clear it. The only difference was the large 3 foot, as opposed to the small packages my watches came in (with the exception of a few G shocks and Suuntos).

I have purchased many items from ebay but never motor parts. Many very expensive items too. If you ask the seller to mark it as a gift, sample or used item it is very likely item would sneak through customs. And ask the dealer to under-value it to something like 20 US$. I had few friends at the EMS center who helped me as well. After my return back I found many of them are not there now. But when you go regularly they help you.

I had a nasty experience with DHL once. They wanted to charge me some value which exceeds the value of the item as warehouse charges. They delay was their mistake. But I argued and got it corrected.

But never get things down without EMS thorugh post. It is bound to get lost in the post-office.

But never get things down without EMS thorugh post. It is bound to get lost in the post-office.

really????

Except once where i had to use EMS due to the seller insisting on it... I've always used normal parcel post.

I've bought everything from deep sea fishing rods from Australia, Silencer and other bike parts from the US and lots of fishing stuff from the US, UK and Canada without any issues and to date nothing has got lost.

If at all the only complaint is that the shipping times can vary. Sometimes things come in little over a week and at times it take a couple of weeks!

But so far i haven't lost a thing on regular parcel post!

i order stuff perodically from ebay...stuff like game cd's come to me house,no problem...but bigger ones like car parts get detained and you have to go and claim it...i go dressed up as a total looser then whine and beg so they dont tax me too much...ti also use the "this is for a parana car argument" and show them pictures of the wreck off my phone...lol...works every time!

as for delivery dates,a miracle happened last month...i ordered fifa 10 from a seller from the UK and it came in FIVE DAYS!!!...i'm not lying...honest!

:rolleyes:

eh?..why you rolling your eyes? ...care to explain smileyboy...is it that you dont believe me or you just like quoting people and then reply with random smileys...whatever it is i dont give a rat's ass what you think ...

Edited by MasterDon

eh?..why you rolling your eyes? ...care to explain smileyboy...is it that you dont believe me or you just like quoting people and then reply with random smileys...whatever it is i dont give a rat's ass what you think ...

Ha ha calm down man, that addition of urs, It really made me laugh...