• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is It Safe To Get Rid Of The Thermostat Value Completely?

E L N I N O

Question

hi guys,

recently my lancer's radiator top tank started leaking and i went to CT Li* to get it replaced. since the radiator core did not have any major blocking, i asked the guy to check the thermostat value. he found it faulty (see the scratched bit) and said it was blocking the water flow and was the culprit for damaging the tank.

dsc02114w.jpg

his advice was either to put a genuine thermostat value or simply to get rid of it completely :mellow: he said if i remove it, the water will flow freely and the engine will be cooled even better. then i asked why on earth it is there in the first place and he said its meant to function in colder countries and here its useless. after checking the price from the agents, i also decided its useless :angry-smiley-048: (well atleast till i collect some money to buy it)

so since then i am running without the damn thing and the only difference i noticed was now the radiator fan takes longer to turn itself on. (so now the engine actually being cooled better???) my worry is whether i am ruining my engine, radiator or any other part due to this maka baas mod? please help...

~ elnino.

12 answers to this question

Leave the thermostat. Simple as that. Its there for a reason... cold country or not. Thermostat is there to bring the engine to peak operational temperatuiore as quickly as possible and maintain it. A cooler engine is not necessarily a good thing. Engines are meant to run hot.

Edited by VVTi

Leave the thermostat. Simple as that. Its there for a reason... cold country or not. Thermostat is there to bring the engine to peak operational temperatuiore as quickly as possible and maintain it. A cooler engine is not necessarily a good thing. Engines are meant to run hot.

it is true that engine have to be at specific temperature for giving it's best performence. thermostat valve is ussed to get the default engine temperature quickly. But I personnaly know there are lots of lot vehicles running without thermostt valve without giving any truoble, People just removing the same without replacing, could be the reason for higher price of that unit.

Hi E L N I N O

I have experienced without thermostat valve, you can run without any issue but engine is running cooler than its peak temperature,but it is not advisable to run without thermostat it will reduce your engine life time,Most of the Old car running without it,Cold start it bit difficult but after few minutes of start the car will be as usual you will not feel any difference

Thanks

Regards

sumit

hi guys,

recently my lancer's radiator top tank started leaking and i went to CT Li* to get it replaced. since the radiator core did not have any major blocking, i asked the guy to check the thermostat value. he found it faulty (see the scratched bit) and said it was blocking the water flow and was the culprit for damaging the tank.

dsc02114w.jpg

his advice was either to put a genuine thermostat value or simply to get rid of it completely :mellow: he said if i remove it, the water will flow freely and the engine will be cooled even better. then i asked why on earth it is there in the first place and he said its meant to function in colder countries and here its useless. after checking the price from the agents, i also decided its useless :angry-smiley-048: (well atleast till i collect some money to buy it)

so since then i am running without the damn thing and the only difference i noticed was now the radiator fan takes longer to turn itself on. (so now the engine actually being cooled better???) my worry is whether i am ruining my engine, radiator or any other part due to this maka baas mod? please help...

~ elnino.

Sir,

When the vehicle is new the thermostat works OK after some time they give trouble.

Yes fan takes little late time to start due to without Thermostat engine take little more time to reach the temperature to work the Electric fan as control thermostat of the fan activates only the correct temperature when the engine reaches.

Engine temperature reaches very fast when the thermostat is inside the Radiator.

I agree with other posts of maintaining engine temperature thermostat works for peek performance of the Engine.

I have used new ond used Vehicles more than twenty after some time I used to remove the thermostat from the Radiator when ever I clean the Radiator. I have done this when the temp meter shows the temp is high or I all ways clean the Radiator after 40000 Kms. Now we have plastic tanks on Aluminum Radiators.

My personal experience by removing the thermostat did not give me any trouble till I disposed those Vehicles.

The Vehicle I use now after Radiator cleaning I removed same.

Wijesinghe.

Is It Safe To Get Rid Of The Thermostat Value Completely?

My answer is NO

he said its meant to function in colder countries and here its useless.
another Maka bass opinion.

Also note coolent or water absorb huge amount of heat engergy. And if you drive 5th or 4th in ecominically (below 2000 rpm) you will notice the temperature drops the normal average. And if you are running about 10 - 15 Km your vehicle will take about 1,2 Km or more Kms to come to the normal temperature depending on your driving style. All this means you need the Thermostat valve if not you will be having significant difference in your fuel consupmtion

Hi Guys

Here people tend to run without thermostat is , those are giving problems at regular time, the reason is that those are not genuine parts, if you buy the genuine Thermostat valve. i would say it will last for very long sometimes one for whole life

but that is really expensive.

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Gius

Last week i had a bad experience with thermostat, wanted to share it with u guys

I bought a genuine Nissan thermostat and installed it. i could only use it one day

car started overheating since that time it was mid night had a horrible time, i could only drive

2- 3 Kms after car cool down, finally got a gallon of water from near house removed the radiator

cap and drove it to Colombo filling water time to time.

If an NISSAN Genuine Thermostat fails like this how can you believe on other brands.

Still waiting to take another thermostat because dealer doesn't have them in stock now

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Gius

Last week i had a bad experience with thermostat, wanted to share it with u guys

I bought a genuine Nissan thermostat and installed it. i could only use it one day

car started overheating since that time it was mid night had a horrible time, i could only drive

2- 3 Kms after car cool down, finally got a gallon of water from near house removed the radiator

cap and drove it to Colombo filling water time to time.

If an NISSAN Genuine Thermostat fails like this how can you believe on other brands.

Still waiting to take another thermostat because dealer doesn't have them in stock now

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Mr. Sumith,

Did you buy this NISSAN Genuine thermostat Valve from the agents or from a one of their dealers.

You get inferior quality valves made in other country's printed as genuine parts with the dealers.

Get your money back and try with Agents.

Wijesinghe.

Judging by the number of cars that are running with Nissan genuine thermostats that AREN'T having problems, it's safe to say that you either got a fake, or happened to come across a rare genuine but DOA/dud component. Get a refund from wherever you got it, and go and spend that money at A*W.

Removing your thermostat may slow down the warm up times, but believe it or not also increases the chance of your car overheating (may seem counterintuitive, but this is my experience with a car like that during the summer in an extremely hot part of the usa, where it can get above 40C in the shade and where the previous owner had removed the thermostat and neglected to mention it to me... :rolleyes: ). I was told by the mechanics who detected the problem that part of its function is holding the coolant in the radiator long enough to obtain optimal cooling, and then maintain that temperature which will take place even when you are driving the engine harder in higher ambient temperatures. Something you will no doubt be exposed to in SL. You could may be mention this to Maka baas and see what he says :D Like others said, if the valve is there, then it's there for a purpose. If there was no benefit to having it tropical countries, then it's likely we would have heard more about it by now.

PS- anyone know if one could get a cooling system pressure test done at the agents?

Edited by SeanD

Based on some expert advise I got regarding the same subject, following is what i understood.

Taking off the Thermostat would make the engine take longer to generate the optimum operating temp thus having serious repercussions on the life of the engine plus lower mpg's..

Although the removal of the thermostat would make the vehicle cool better on low speeds( rather work at a lower temp), on higher speeds it could lead to overheating for the fact that the water circulation would be too fast to absorb the heat efficiently. (I'm assuming this is due to the water pump driven faster..). A thermostat would open up depending on the temp and regulates the flow of water, so without it its just free flow.

On the issue of the Nissan Genuine Thermostat giving trouble, could it be that the opening threshold temp in the selected thermostat is wrong? I saw the opening temp engraved on the wide wall of my vehicle the last time the mechanic took it out..

Correct me if I'm wrong guys..

Hi ELNINO,

Just curious!

If the thermostat is not necessary, why did the manufacturers put it in the first place spending money & time? And considering the number of vehicles wouldn't it be huge?

So simply you should have it

Edited by aamarakoon