• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Improvement If The Suspension System

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello friends...

I would like to know if there is a way to improve the suspension system (for being more comfortable on day to day running) of a 4DR5 J44 jeeps without replacing the leaf spring. May be adding some shock absorbers or springs or anyhow. Please post if you know something about it... Thank you.

Nishan

7 answers to this question

Hello friends...

I would like to know if there is a way to improve the suspension system (for being more comfortable on day to day running) of a 4DR5 J44 jeeps without replacing the leaf spring. May be adding some shock absorbers or springs or anyhow. Please post if you know something about it... Thank you.

Nishan

Sir,

I have not done for any Jeeps but for Japanese Vans from late 1970 up to today on rear and front Coil springs all what I have never had any problems never drove more than 70 Kms I do not know how they will perform in high speeds when you take a bend.

Most Vehicles rear Leaf springs was reduced from 5 to 3 and front coil Springs was reduced to a smaller gauge never changed Shock absorbers.

This is a Practical experience what I have Very soon we ill be getting a Testing unit for All cars for modifications to Engines

and suspension at the moment fitting process is on in Colombo.

Wijesinghe.

sorry for interrupting!!!my AE110 makes some weird noises+shakes while traveling on bad roads with holes and speed-breakers though i go slow...in the mean while my friends fb15,pulsar m1,civic which are from almost the same YOM passes these hurdles with NO-FUSS going twice/thrice as fast as i go!!!!

and i dont feel comfortable at all since the car shakes at a certain frequency during bad roads...any recommendations for the above case?would replacing the shock-absorbers do the trick?how much would it cost me?

thanks

Hello friends...

Nishan

spray some WD40 to leaf spring from time to time, it is the cheapest way to do it without changing the original leaf spring settings, and check whether the friction pads on leafs are worn off(if you have the original spring set)

spray some WD40 to leaf spring from time to time, it is the cheapest way to do it without changing the original leaf spring settings, and check whether the friction pads on leafs are worn off(if you have the original spring set)

need to add one more point. That is some maka baas fellows try to increase the ground clearance of the jeeps by increasing the curve of the leaf springs. This will make the ride very much bumpy and rigid. If you ever want to increase the height of the vehicle, do it by replacing shackles with lengthy ones and keep the leaf springs at the optimum setting.

Edited by harshansenadhir

need to add one more point. That is some maka baas fellows try to increase the ground clearance of the jeeps by increasing the curve of the leaf springs. This will make the ride very much bumpy and rigid. If you ever want to increase the height of the vehicle, do it by replacing shackles with lengthy ones and keep the leaf springs at the optimum setting.

Sir,

I agree with your ground clearance comment of leaf springs at the optimum setting without any modifications.

Old Skoda cars had a shackle with three positions if you go with a load or on bad road the car owner can shift to the position to his selection on the shackle in rear leaf spring.

One friend of mine in 1960 did raise his jeep by getting a Black-smith to make the springs curve increased of the jeep leaf springs to get more ground clearence he ended up with a Accident in Anuradhapura at 60 MPH without control of his Jeep.

Srilanka roads were very bad in 1960. In Colombo I use low position on the shukle

When ever I go to TalliMannar and Jaffna during those days what I do was raise my rear suckle to a higher end so that I can go on bad roads. I used to carry 4 people and lot of heavy tools for my Profession.

Wijesinghe.