• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

High Speed

Bugatti

and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees[/b][/u], and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and on a third or subsequent conviction to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence for a period of six months”

This is what scares me...!! :unsure:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys!

Lemme tell you a lil story. I had this habit of not stopping when cops signal me down for speeding or crossing lines. If the road is clear, I usually fly off. Not that I commit these offenses often but it's just that even at these rare occasions, I dont feel like bowing down to em!

Anyways, 2 weeks ago I went on a long long trip.. puttalam, the new mannar road, wilpattu, anuradhapura, madur oya, polonnaruwa, habarana.. 700kms in 2 days. :-) Tell you bout it later wilu.. On the puttlam road, there was a huge huge traffic block past marawila coz of some politician there who had won. the road was pretty much one way and the cops were not doing anything. with the greatest difficulty, I got thru that stretch, thanks to my headlights and horn and tactful driving!

A few kilometers away, I start seeing cops every few 100m with speed guns and vehicles were signaling me to slow down. I avoided a few but then this one place, the cop signaled me. I slowed a bit and then fly off. Barely a kilometer did I pass, but I see a cop on a bike following me with his heads on. I freaked out a moment. then stopped. My dad made up a story bout my sis being sick and it urgent. the cop said the OIC was at the check point and that is why he had to follow. anyway, we turned and went back. because of my dad, I was saved a lecture. and also a court case! but I did have to pay a Rs.1000 fine for not stopping. paid it n went.

My speed... 79KMpH! on the freaking puttalam rd wher you cud do 100+ and not feel a thing. good wide road. safe to drive. nothing close to reckless driving.

I made a big mistake there by not stopping and if I had stopped, I doubt I'd be fines anything.

Still, this is the situation today...

CheerZZz

topgear...seriously dude you need to stop whatever the circumstance...the last thing you'd want is to get shot by a barely educated trigger happy idiot(with all due respect to the police and armed forces).

haha... i think i know the oic you mentioned as i frequent the puttlam road(well over the speed limit i might add)...very reasonable bloke that guy,and a bike fan ;)

Got it back... on the road again till the next speed gun points at me.... :angry-smiley-048:

no court date on 26? and no fine?

got back temp D/licence or original? you are lucky if you have got the original -- cops [then courts] hang on to the D/L till the end of the case.

Sir,

• Section 151(3) states: - “No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway.”

If police proves this in court no driver can escape without the fine. This is very clear. but speeding also to a certain extend comes under same section of the law.

I may be correct or wrong your Advice please.

Wijesinghe.

Personally i dont agree that "speeding" is "negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway". how can this be possibly correct? - anyone who can understand the language its written in, will know this is not applicable-------- -unless you were swerving the vehicle in a reckless manner at high speed or doing an act to endanger another. [then you dont need the speed gun -if you observe such driving]

However i was racking my brains to see under which section they [cops] might be able to file a case under the above scenario -- that's the reason i quoted the above 02 sections. As stated before - i personally have not come across such a case -- this is only an assumption on my part.

Also - even if its filed under different sections --MHO is that we can contest this and succeed!

no court date on 26? and no fine?

got back temp D/licence or original? you are lucky if you have got the original -- cops [then courts] hang on to the D/L till the end of the case.

I used influence to get back my license. Usually, all high speed cased are written in the courts register the following day... hence had to pay a 1100/- fine.

As per the officer who helped me, if you are flagged down for speeding, you do not need to surrender your license, and have the right to argue. Unless you zig-zag between lanes at high speed. (take note of this)

The cops will fine you for reckless driving at high speed, and this goes to court. So make sure when you are stopped, to first ask what the charge is. If it is for speeding, (and you were within the lane) tell the cop to go fly a kite.

good luck boys.. watch out for them cops, and be smarter...!

Cheers..!!

Sir,

• Section 151(3) states: - “No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway.”

If police proves this in court no driver can escape without the fine. This is very clear. but speeding also to a certain extend comes under same section of the law.

I may be correct or wrong your Advice please.

Wijesinghe.

Personally i dont agree that "speeding" is "negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway". how can this be possibly correct? - anyone who can understand the language its written in, will know this is not applicable-------- -unless you were swerving the vehicle in a reckless manner at high speed or doing an act to endanger another. [then you dont need the speed gun -if you observe such driving]

However i was racking my brains to see under which section they [cops] might be able to file a case under the above scenario -- that's the reason i quoted the above 02 sections. As stated before - i personally have not come across such a case -- this is only an assumption on my part.

Also - even if its filed under different sections --MHO is that we can contest this and succeed!

I agree with you on this point... there is a difference between speeding, and reckless driving.. may be we need to install a camera facing the road while speeding n let the cop catch us... video footage can be used in court I assume..?!

As per the officer who helped me, if you are flagged down for speeding, you do not need to surrender your license, and have the right to argue. Unless you zig-zag between lanes at high speed. (take note of this)

The cops will fine you for reckless driving at high speed, and this goes to court. So make sure when you are stopped, to first ask what the charge is. If it is for speeding, (and you were within the lane) tell the cop to go fly a kite.

Hmm interesting point. But... cops might ask us to argue this at courts :unsure:

I agree with you on this point... there is a difference between speeding, and reckless driving.. may be we need to install a camera facing the road while speeding n let the cop catch us... video footage can be used in court I assume..?!

Sure - video footage can be used, but its a big hassle --have to get it verified that the footage is authentic [not doctored with], give a copy to opposing side within a certain time period, etc.

But our evidence [defence evidence] is only required after the Prosecution [police] has led their evidence. During cross-examination of the police witnesses - if we can break his/their evidence-- we can ask for an acquittal - even before we present our side of the story [i.e- our testimony, our witnesses - maybe a passenger or any other evidence - & as you had suggested - video footage etc]

Hmm interesting point. But... cops might ask us to argue this at courts :unsure:

Yes.. that;s the point. Ask them to go file a case without you having the surrender you license. Either the way you're gonna end up in court, right?

You are right. i think bugatti has been lucky enough to find a 'good' cop. Actually a rare breed these days.

I not sure whether all the cops will take kindly if "have the right to argue" when stopped.

Best advice i could think of is to - try reasoning with the cop [using any suitable means -i.e. pleading/coaxing/threatening/influence --other popular remedy ;) ] not to write a ticket BEFORE he writes it. After they write the ticket -- they cannot withdraw it. [example --Even in bugatti's case -he had to pay a fine to get his licence back.]

Guys,

Just a word of caution..

cops now have the Green light to track down and fine high-speed driving....! teams have been deployed in and around Colombo.

I got copped today at Kirulapona doing 79 km/h

Cop locations: Green Path, Base-line, Galle road in Moratuwa (new road), Havelock road (near laugfs) is what's been reported so far.

Freedom, comes to an end. :angry-smiley-024:

I did a day return to Anuradhapura today (Wednesday) and came across cops at atleast 10 different spots (mostly between Kurunegala and A'Pura) waiting to trap drivers for speeding and cutting the lines.

Had a Cobra ES series detector in the car so managed to detect (Ka Band) on time at all the locations. Had a relatively slow reaction at one location where the cops were on the otherside of the road pointing at the other direction and all of a sudden pointed our way. They may have switched it on late since most detectors go off way in advance even when the speed guns are pointed elsewhere but are switched on.

true that by a huge majority of SL cops are rotten to the core and are utterly useless.

how many times have you had a good experience with the cops here?

I've dealt with decent chaps and they number less than 5... and the complete buffoons are by the dozen!

First of all i am only quoting ripper to express my point. this is in no way directed towards him.

Out of all the times you were stopped by the police for an offense (i'm not talking about random security checks) how many times were you genuinely at fault? (again, i am asking from all of you not just ripper) For me, every single time i was copped i was 100% at fault. At the end of the day they are doing their job. There's a set of rules and everybody should obey them. If you choose not to then take responsibility for the outcome instead of playing the blame game.

Yes i agree the system (or the bureaucracy) is not that user friendly and it is time consuming. Let that be another reason to obey the law.

I think it is highly unfair to call 'traffic police' useless and rotten when it is us who are at fault in the first place (by speeding, DUI, not obeying police orders etc.) and it is us who are committing more offenses and crimes to dodge penalties.

Had a Cobra ES series detector in the car so managed to detect (Ka Band) on time at all the locations. Had a relatively slow reaction at one location where the cops were on the otherside of the road pointing at the other direction and all of a sudden pointed our way. They may have switched it on late since most detectors go off way in advance even when the speed guns are pointed elsewhere but are switched on.

On the same topic, I heard about a signal jammer for these speed detectors from a friend, is there such a gadget? Anyway how much is the one you got?

First of all i am only quoting ripper to express my point. this is in no way directed towards him.

Out of all the times you were stopped by the police for an offense (i'm not talking about random security checks) how many times were you genuinely at fault? (again, i am asking from all of you not just ripper) For me, every single time i was copped i was 100% at fault. At the end of the day they are doing their job. There's a set of rules and everybody should obey them. If you choose not to then take responsibility for the outcome instead of playing the blame game.

Yes i agree the system (or the bureaucracy) is not that user friendly and it is time consuming. Let that be another reason to obey the law.

I think it is highly unfair to call 'traffic police' useless and rotten when it is us who are at fault in the first place (by speeding, DUI, not obeying police orders etc.) and it is us who are committing more offenses and crimes to dodge penalties.

well said friend. Arguing with cops from a bad stance will lead you to another court case of disturbing duties of police. :D

I foresee madmax giving up his entire luggage quota and coming back from US with a couple of suitcases of radar detectors :D Something tells me there will be a lotta interest. Max, I book mine first!

FYI... when i'm at fault...i never argue.

just take the ticket and bugger off!

I'm talking about all the other times you get pulled up for doing jack.

I've been stopped for speeding when they didn't even have a speed gun. They've tried their level best to give me a ticket.

One instance i was stopped by cops for speeding and they didn't have my speed on their gun. Pissed off they check all my four tires for wear, checkd all the lights including the break light to see if everything was ok... after finding everything was by the book i was let go. But they kept me there for good half an hour...

That's just one experience... I' have plenty more.

I can quite honestly say that about 90% of the cops i've met in my life are complete looosers.

I've even gone to the point of complaining to the police commission when they have been extremely rude and scolded me in filth...

So mr XXX with due respect you don't know WTF you're talking about...

maybe i've been very unlucky to only have met rotten lot of the police force :P

I foresee madmax giving up his entire luggage quota and coming back from US with a couple of suitcases of radar detectors :D Something tells me there will be a lotta interest. Max, I book mine first!

well don't mind getting one myself.

been working late the last few days and and it's a bitch to drive at around 10in the night and keep to 50 :(

i bet a decent cyclist can do the same speed if not more :(

A friend said that they are so strict on this 50 mark...even 51 can get you copped...

suppose all our very decent, honest, duty bound cops are catching upto what they lost during that court intervention...

well don't mind getting one myself.

been working late the last few days and and it's a bitch to drive at around 10in the night and keep to 50 :(

i bet a decent cyclist can do the same speed if not more :(

A friend said that they are so strict on this 50 mark...even 51 can get you copped...

suppose all our very decent, honest, duty bound cops are catching upto what they lost during that court intervention...

I am putting my girl up for storage and buying a bike... who wants to join???? :action-smiley-060:

I am putting my girl up for storage and buying a bike... who wants to join???? :action-smiley-060:

I always wanted one of those choppers. Harley style :D Only you don't seem to find good ones here. The nicest one I saw was a Yamaha that looked good from a distance. Not so much up close, the finish wasn't good. Indian, obviously.

On the same topic, I heard about a signal jammer for these speed detectors from a friend, is there such a gadget? Anyway how much is the one you got?

Yes, there is such a gadget.. it is available in the USA, though it is banned there. It's more costlier than the Cobra detector. You might be able to locate one on ebay... but don't ship it directly to SL. Have it hand carried.

Good thinking Peri...

Ask Max to buy some n bring back. I bought two unit last time n sold.. :rolleyes: