• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

High Speed

Bugatti

I always wanted one of those choppers. Harley style :D Only you don't seem to find good ones here. The nicest one I saw was a Yamaha that looked good from a distance. Not so much up close, the finish wasn't good. Indian, obviously.

the yammy virago is quite a decent bike if you like the touring type...

also the honda steed....

Virago

yamaha_virago_main.jpg

Steed

Honda_Steed_400-600.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there is such a gadget.. it is available in the USA, though it is banned there. It's more costlier than the Cobra detector. You might be able to locate one on ebay... but don't ship it directly to SL. Have it hand carried.

Anyway what kind of detection methods are used by speed guns here? Just KA band? Or KU band?? Or laser? Coz Cobra detectors have many type models with different band detections...

Well the cops I assume have a right to inspect a license, and once they do that they you usually dont give it back!! Thenm what do you do? :P

I used influence to get back my license. Usually, all high speed cased are written in the courts register the following day... hence had to pay a 1100/- fine.

As per the officer who helped me, if you are flagged down for speeding, you do not need to surrender your license, and have the right to argue. Unless you zig-zag between lanes at high speed. (take note of this)

The cops will fine you for reckless driving at high speed, and this goes to court. So make sure when you are stopped, to first ask what the charge is. If it is for speeding, (and you were within the lane) tell the cop to go fly a kite.

good luck boys.. watch out for them cops, and be smarter...!

Cheers..!!

I always wanted one of those choppers. Harley style :D Only you don't seem to find good ones here. The nicest one I saw was a Yamaha that looked good from a distance. Not so much up close, the finish wasn't good. Indian, obviously.

I am talking of a bicycle..... but Peri I can just see you riding one with ribbons flapping from the handles... :)

Trrrinnngggg trrrinnnggggg....

Have a scanned/photo copy, n give it.. :lol:

Won't work... as long as they have the number you are screwed. I tried that and learnt this lesson the hard way....

Long drive to Hambanthota courts... longer stay in the courts... for speeding in Mirijjawila.

I gave them a copy.. and thought I escaped... 2 months later I was summoned.

the yammy virago is quite a decent bike if you like the touring type...

also the honda steed....

While I don't really have anything against Honda bikes per say, just the thought of the brand makes me slightly ill :P

Anyway, more to the point, do they have these things here? Are they within the legal displacement limit? That Indian Yamaha was called the Gladiator or summin, IIRC. Saw it at one of the car shows, should have pics somewhere.

Well the cops I assume have a right to inspect a license, and once they do that they you usually dont give it back!! Thenm what do you do? :P

I'd get in trouble if I give it anyway. The famous Fading Issue. :rolleyes:

I am talking of a bicycle..... but Peri I can just see you riding one with ribbons flapping from the handles... :)

Trrrinnngggg trrrinnnggggg....

I used to have a mountain bike that I used to ride to Uni during my final year. As Madmax, and maybe even vshiznet, will tell you, nothing you can imagine will compare to the real thing. :lol:

Crazy thought!

lets have a G2G with only bicycles... as a sort of a protest AND being Eco conscious!!!

He he he he!!

What say you, Peri???

Lets have a massive bicycle ride from Pint A t Point B and have party.. get drunk, ect ect!.

No law against RUI!!!

Edited by VVTi

Crazy thought!

lets have a G2G with only bicycles... as a sort of a protest AND being Eco conscious!!!

He he he he!!

What say you, Peri???

Lets have a massive bicycle ride from Pint A t Point B and have party.. get drunk, ect ect!.

No law against RUI!!!

Sadly, I gave my bike away. And you need to have police permission to do that sorta thing, as anyone who has been in the organizing committee for the STC Cycle Parade will tell you :D

Besides, that doesn't work as a protest against speed laws.

While I don't really have anything against Honda bikes per say, just the thought of the brand makes me slightly ill :P

Anyway, more to the point, do they have these things here? Are they within the legal displacement limit? That Indian Yamaha was called the Gladiator or summin, IIRC. Saw it at one of the car shows, should have pics somewhere.

I'd get in trouble if I give it anyway. The famous Fading Issue. :rolleyes:

I used to have a mountain bike that I used to ride to Uni during my final year. As Madmax, and maybe even vshiznet, will tell you, nothing you can imagine will compare to the real thing. :lol:

oh well... honda does make some great bikes and most of them are rock solid and heaps of fun to ride...

i own two and one has been with me since i was like 16...

Both the bikes are here and Virago does come with a 250cc motor.... maybe they have large displacement ones abroad but i've seen a few 250's here...

However i have not seen a honda steed less than 400cc in SL as yet...

maybe there was a 250cc but i've not seen one...

personally, i prefer the steed over the virago,,,

my ex-bike-mechanic had one registered and that thing was a beast :D

he had those loud pipes on it and fat ass tyres so if you're a real sissy and want to scare the living day lights out of people...can't go wrong with a steed :P

and if you're a real bad ass and want to be even bad ass-er... a steed will do you good...

I don't want to comment on those indian bikes even if they have the yammy badge on them :P

FYI... when i'm at fault...i never argue.

just take the ticket and bugger off!

I'm talking about all the other times you get pulled up for doing jack.

I've been stopped for speeding when they didn't even have a speed gun. They've tried their level best to give me a ticket.

One instance i was stopped by cops for speeding and they didn't have my speed on their gun. Pissed off they check all my four tires for wear, checkd all the lights including the break light to see if everything was ok... after finding everything was by the book i was let go. But they kept me there for good half an hour...

That's just one experience... I' have plenty more.

I can quite honestly say that about 90% of the cops i've met in my life are complete looosers.

I've even gone to the point of complaining to the police commission when they have been extremely rude and scolded me in filth...

So mr XXX with due respect you don't know WTF you're talking about...

maybe i've been very unlucky to only have met rotten lot of the police force :P

You seem to have had few bad experiences, sorry to hear that. I can't comment on them much as i don't know the whole scenario nor i am a person learned in the law (may be it is coincidence both the times involved speeding or maybe i don't know WTF i am talking about. didn't hamilton get booked for 'over-exuberant' driving).

This is a third world country and everyone's looking for a quick buck. There's no point winging and wining when you break the law first. How many of us drive by the book when we are abroad since penalties are severe. But since there's lot of shortcuts locally there's blatant disregard for law and then we moan about others poor driving habits.

You seem to have had few bad experiences, sorry to hear that. I can't comment on them much as i don't know the whole scenario nor i am a person learned in the law (may be it is coincidence both the times involved speeding or maybe i don't know WTF i am talking about. didn't hamilton get booked for 'over-exuberant' driving).

This is a third world country and everyone's looking for a quick buck. There's no point winging and wining when you break the law first. How many of us drive by the book when we are abroad since penalties are severe. But since there's lot of shortcuts locally there's blatant disregard for law and then we moan about others poor driving habits.

you assume that i was referring to instances where i was at fault and had a bad experience with cops.

And also you assume that we drive with blatant disregard for law and whine when cops book us...

both of these are just your assumptions and nothing more! hence you don't know wtf you're talking about!

I aint no saint but those instances i was at fault...i have never argued with cops and give them a bad rap because they booked me for breaking the law.

I don't expect them to treat me special when i'm at fault.

The problem is...in my experience for over 15 years being on our roads behind a wheel... 90% of the cops i have met are complete d heads!

This includes not only the traffic cops but also the usual non-traffic cops...

They try to book you for things you haven't done! Make a fuss on things just hoping that you'd buckle and give them a bribe or sometimes simply to show the power of their uniform!

Being a third world country is no excuse for anybody to abuse power!

We all know how local cops do that with extreme enthusiasm and it's shocking to hear that you seem to have not noticed it...

anyways...you're entitled to your opinion. But next time you quote me on something... think a bit first and not assume the entire basis for your rather lame argument!

got copped today at Kandy for doing 72kmph, the cop jump to the road with the speed gun so no way to stop or slow down the car, so after i passed him i had to stop the car and walk to him

Damn! What happened? Booked? Or fined?

cus of a certain person in our other vehicle i manage to go away, there were so many cops all over Kandy road, feel like its time for a radar jammer

Yeah... guess so... never thought I would need one here. I set up the buzzer in rteh car to go at 50Kmph now.

• Section 151(3) states: - “No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway.”

That seems to rule out 97% of motorists in Sri Lanka.

This is probably a stupid question but: what are the current limits in SL? - I gather they are 59 city, 70 HWY, unless posted otherwise - is this correct?

Edited by Saturn

Rocky Mountain has some nice Radar Detectors and Radar Scramblers, feel like getting one,

Dude, buy a few extras if u come across a scrambler.. n lemme know how much. Let's get these SoB's..

got copped today at Kandy for doing 72kmph, the cop jump to the road with the speed gun so no way to stop or slow down the car, so after i passed him i had to stop the car and walk to him

if its beyond city limits you are not speeding.AFAIK city limits you shouldnt be doing more than 56 kmph and off the city limits you have to do below 72

if its beyond city limits you are not speeding.AFAIK city limits you shouldnt be doing more than 56 kmph and off the city limits you have to do below 72

this was in kandy, anyway cop said its high speed

Dude, buy a few extras if u come across a scrambler.. n lemme know how much. Let's get these SoB's..

sure thing

I don't mind being punished for breaking law if it is applied without discretion. We all know 3W bastards and the Bus bastards are the worst when it comes to breaking law. But they hardly get penalised because it is mostly Policemen and people who have them under their payroll who own these services. I think the most urgent rule to enforce should be change of tracks abruptly and going on wrong side. Without penalising car owners for mild tinted glasses they should start penalising those 3W bastards for wearing those non-stock sharp wheel arches. I think it is high time someone spoke about these sharp wheel arches that 3W buggers wear. I even feel like opening a new thread to talk about this pressing issue of 3W bastards' misdeeds.

Guys................

I think government try to make some money................. yesterday was my chance.............. got coped........ thanks to a friend of mine.......... sort out the issue....

High speed.... 90.....

But their gun reader was nt clear at all..... how do we know that their showing our speed limit....