• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What I Found About Maintaining Batteries

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello friends...

This is what I found when searching about batteries and maintainability of those. If its wrong please post what is correct...

1. Do not wash your battery - Some battery workers say that batteries need to be washed once their acid level is low. What they do is that remove all the acids from the battery and put some hot water in to each cell and flush them. This is not a good practice and it damages the cells as some experts explain. There is a possibility of breaking the cell ingredients.

2. Maintain the acid level - Battery agents say not to put ACID again other than the first time and say to put battery water instead. However adding battery water all the time may reduce the acid level of the battery. Therefore it is needed to check the acid level once in a while and add some acids to keep its level as 1250. This may make the battery life longer than just adding water in to it.

These are the things that battery workers say.. Highly appreciate if someone can make this correct if it is wrong. Thanks..

5 answers to this question

Hello friends...

This is what I found when searching about batteries and maintainability of those. If its wrong please post what is correct...

1. Do not wash your battery - Some battery workers say that batteries need to be washed once their acid level is low. What they do is that remove all the acids from the battery and put some hot water in to each cell and flush them. This is not a good practice and it damages the cells as some experts explain. There is a possibility of breaking the cell ingredients.

2. Maintain the acid level - Battery agents say not to put ACID again other than the first time and say to put battery water instead. However adding battery water all the time may reduce the acid level of the battery. Therefore it is needed to check the acid level once in a while and add some acids to keep its level as 1250. This may make the battery life longer than just adding water in to it.

These are the things that battery workers say.. Highly appreciate if someone can make this correct if it is wrong. Thanks..

Mr.Nishan,

THIS I GOT FROM THE WEB.

Check your batteries on a regular basis to be sure they are getting charged. Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of your lead acid batteries. If batteries are cycled very deeply and then recharged quickly, the specific gravity reading will be lower than it should because the electrolyte at the top of the battery may not have mixed with the "charged" electrolyte. Check the electrolyte level in wet-cell batteries at least four times a year and top each cell off with distilled water. Do not add water to discharged batteries. Electrolyte is absorbed when batteries are very discharged. If you add water at this time, and then recharge the battery, electrolyte will overflow and make a mess.

Keep the tops of your batteries clean and check that cables are tight. Do not tighten or remove cables while charging or discharging. Any spark around batteries can cause a hydrogen explosion inside, and ruin one of the cells, and you.

There number of articles on web and get more information.

********************************************************************************

My experience with Battery and Alternator charging system.

I check my battery water level every 45 days Voltage every month it is 14.5 Volts when engine is running with lights and other full load on DC.

Bottled Battery distilled water is added if the level is low.

I never use Acid. Hydrometer reading is S/G is around 1230 to 1250.

I have fitted Amp meter it shows during day running +3 Amps as you start it goes to about 40 Amps within 60 to 120 seconds Amps comes down to said amount.

In the night with lights on Amps shows +5 Amps.

I don't use a battery more than 18 months. Before it fails I change to a new battery.

Wijesinghe

Mr.Nishan,

THIS I GOT FROM THE WEB.

Check your batteries on a regular basis to be sure they are getting charged. Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of your lead acid batteries. If batteries are cycled very deeply and then recharged quickly, the specific gravity reading will be lower than it should because the electrolyte at the top of the battery may not have mixed with the "charged" electrolyte. Check the electrolyte level in wet-cell batteries at least four times a year and top each cell off with distilled water. Do not add water to discharged batteries. Electrolyte is absorbed when batteries are very discharged. If you add water at this time, and then recharge the battery, electrolyte will overflow and make a mess.

Keep the tops of your batteries clean and check that cables are tight. Do not tighten or remove cables while charging or discharging. Any spark around batteries can cause a hydrogen explosion inside, and ruin one of the cells, and you.

There number of articles on web and get more information.

********************************************************************************

My experience with Battery and Alternator charging system.

I check my battery water level every 45 days Voltage every month it is 14.5 Volts when engine is running with lights and other full load on DC.

Bottled Battery distilled water is added if the level is low.

I never use Acid. Hydrometer reading is S/G is around 1230 to 1250.

I have fitted Amp meter it shows during day running +3 Amps as you start it goes to about 40 Amps within 60 to 120 seconds Amps comes down to said amount.

In the night with lights on Amps shows +5 Amps.

I don't use a battery more than 18 months. Before it fails I change to a new battery.

Wijesinghe

Thanks Mr.Wijesinghe