• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cvt, Automatic Or Manual Transmission?

kalana

Guys,

i thought that its a good idea to open a new thread regarding transmissions..

give your ideas, your experiences so others can get that knowledge.. :)

dont forget to describe reasons for your answer. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well IMO I prefer manual boxes but its fast dying out. Even the latest Ferraris come with automated manuals, not traditional manuals. In a few years manual boxes will be totally obsolete in the west!

Pros: You have more control over the engine. and you can get a bit more mpg out of a manual box.

Automatics are the easiest to live with.. and is great for daily driving but it gets a bit less mpg.

CVT is the future. Ive never driven one. But i read its much more smoother an much more efficient than traditional manuals an automatic boxes. Simply put its an automatic box which continuously changes and adjusts according to engine load. There is no "1" gear. There is an infinite number of gears. (I hope my info is accurate! Please correct me if im not!)

Hi Guys

Always Manual :)

Fuel Consumption

Proper Control as we want

Hassle Free Gear Box

Less Maintenance Cost

Best think is that

YOU WILL NOT FEEL SLEEPY ON THE DRIVING CABIN :D

thanks

regards

sumith

Edited by Sumiya

well IMO I prefer manual boxes but its fast dying out. Even the latest Ferraris come with automated manuals, not traditional manuals. In a few years manual boxes will be totally obsolete in the west!

Pros: You have more control over the engine. and you can get a bit more mpg out of a manual box.

Automatics are the easiest to live with.. and is great for daily driving but it gets a bit less mpg.

CVT is the future. Ive never driven one. But i read its much more smoother an much more efficient than traditional manuals an automatic boxes. Simply put its an automatic box which continuously changes and adjusts according to engine load. There is no "1" gear. There is an infinite number of gears. (I hope my info is accurate! Please correct me if im not!)

yep but i don't think CVT is the future though...they have been on cars for quite a while now! And not all modern cars come with CVT so not sure if the technology is accepted to be the "future"

automated manuals offer decent compromise with "auto" benefits with the option of having triptronic...

at the rate autoboxes are being developed..chances are they will have super fast, super efficient auto boxes in the near future...

but personally for sheer driving pleasure..nothing beats a manual! :D

I think people are getting lazy in general and want so many things to be automated :) because of that manuals might become obsolete in the future to cater to market demands...

i agree.. manual is best.no question about it.but if someone wants to choose between auto and cvt ??? what it shoud be ??

i don't think there is a definite answer to that cos there are quite a few variables involved...

most of the modern autos are pretty good and respond very fast...automated autos too respond pretty fast cos i had the chance to drive a grande punto recently and it was pretty close to the response you get from a manual.

A friend owned a TP12 that had a CVT box and it just accelerates without you feeling the gearing getting changed. but there is a bit of lag there too...

so imho....it boils down to which car, how old it is and how it was maintained etc that should decide...

CVT boxes need CVT fluid and if the box isn't maintained properly, replacement is quite pricey. To my knowledge CVT internals can't be repaired but only replaced

Also CVT is a technology and different manufacturers have applied it in different ways in their vehicles so performance, reliability etc too vary. same for modern autos too...

thanks ripper... :)

hmm....then if someone wants to decide if he wants a auto or cvt,it will be difficult..

i am going to buy a car and i want manual.. since manuals are little bit rare to find,i am stucked between auto and cvt.. still thinking which on to buy :(

if th engine is 1000cc or 1300cc, is it not good to go for a cvt ? and how is the cvt gearbox in new swidt and vitz ?

thanks

Members,

Very good topic.

I find all Advantages Disadvantages world moving to new developed more efficient Transmissions are told by the earlier posts.

Very well explained I think as said Manuel transmission will be no more in near future.

Few years back no one wanted Auto Transmission in Srilanka. Today every wants auto Transmission.

I drive manual transmission but personally I prefer auto transmission even fuel consumption is little high.

Further more our Auto Technicians are very well trained for repairs of auto Transmission Maintenance.

Wijesinghe.

Guys,

i thought that its a good idea to open a new thread regarding transmissions..

give your ideas, your experiences so others can get that knowledge.. :)

dont forget to describe reasons for your answer. :)

Hmm... It's said that "if car is manual only, u have to drive it..." :rolleyes:

hmm.. anyway, Y bother changing gears n have extra presure while driving as engineers already found the simple solution called "Automatic"?

U completely focus on driving than the gear. Specialy in country like Sri Lanka.

In sri lankan cities, u better drive Auto bcoz c how rush those are and think of how much effort we have to put to protect our car n who/what ever on the road... (Manual will be on fire in other countries paradise roads n high ways)

So it selecting between two depends on: "The personal interest & point of view"

Edited by Uditha88

Hmm... It's said that "if car is manual only, u have to drive it..." :rolleyes:

hmm.. anyway, Y bother changing gears n have extra presure while driving as engineers already found the simple solution called "Automatic"?

U completely focus on driving than the gear. Specialy in country like Sri Lanka.

In sri lankan cities, u better drive Auto bcoz c how rush those are and think of how much effort we have to put to protect our car n who/what ever on the road... (Manual will be on fire in other countries paradise roads n high ways)

So it selecting between two depends on: "The personal interest & point of view"

Well said !

Auto is convenient & safe. But little expensive.

Auto is convenient but certainly not safe. Manual will be more safer in terms of gear braking and control the grip of the driving wheel even in case of a brake failure. Further, I've heard many people complaining that they tend to fall a sleep while driving an auto in the night coz there's absolutely nothing to do than manoeuvring the steering.

Edited by harshansenadhir

manual is convenient but certainly not safe. Manual will be more safer in terms of gear braking and control the grip of the driving wheel even in case of a brake failure. Further, I've heard many people complaining that they tend to fall a sleep while driving an auto in the night coz there's absolutely nothing to do than manoeuvring the steering.

Hi Hrashana

I think you missed the first word , It should be Auto Right ?

thanks

Regards

sumith

Members,

Very good topic.

I find all Advantages Disadvantages world moving to new developed more efficient Transmissions are told by the earlier posts.

Very well explained I think as said Manuel transmission will be no more in near future.

Few years back no one wanted Auto Transmission in Srilanka. Today every wants auto Transmission.

I drive manual transmission but personally I prefer auto transmission even fuel consumption is little high.

Further more our Auto Technicians are very well trained for repairs of auto Transmission Maintenance.

Wijesinghe.

No, I don't think manual transmissions will ever fade out. Autos will only be better in ease of use, possibly fuel economy and for extreme performance. I'd take a manual over an auto anytime.

Edited by Big_D

No, I don't think manual transmissions will ever fade out. Autos will only be better in ease of use, possibly fuel economy and for extreme performance. I'd take a manual over an auto anytime.

not even fuel economy for that matter, usually any auto does less on fuel than the manual counter part

Autos are safe for people who can't drive manuals properly me thinks :P

so many people love auto boxes when they can't figure out things like "clutch balance" etc :P

and about concentrating on gear changes...if you drive a manual long enough and can yourself a good driver....changing gears comes automatically :P

you don't have to think about gear changes...it just happens...

Edited by Ripper

not even fuel economy for that matter, usually any auto does less on fuel than the manual counter part

No I mean the way transmission technology is advancing, I suppose it won't be long before they bring out highly efficient auto trannys.

so many people love auto boxes when they can't figure out things like "clutch balance" etc :P

and about concentrating on gear changes...if you drive a manual long enough and can yourself a good driver....changing gears comes automatically :P

Hi Ripper

That is what i wanted to tell too.. you beat it... :D

thanks

Regards

sumith

Edited by Sumiya

+1

Tho how much of a skill it is really hits you when you teach someone to drive! :D

hmmm.... most of the people like manual :) like me... :rolleyes:

i am going to buy a swift and i want a manual one.but manuals are little but hard to find,i am worried that i may have to choose a auto or cvt.

i really dont like the feeling when driving an auto car.but i like cvt. and the problem is if u bought a cvt,will i have to face some troubles ? like... expensive to repair(or to replace)if something happens.. heard that life time is less than a auto. :( .

just really confused with this guys.. any ideas ?

No I mean the way transmission technology is advancing, I suppose it won't be long before they bring out highly efficient auto trannys.

technology is already there. automated manual is the way to go. (best of both worlds) dual clutch gear box gives far better performance than manual ones and i think better on fuel as well. only drawback is the weight penalty. but so far most applications of dual clutch has been mega successful like ferrari 458, gtr even vw golf.