• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Yaric Got Shakled

Malaka2

My dad's yaris got front left side tyre awy from vehicle at 60 kmph in highway. front bumper and ball joints and disc plate badly damaged ande even nearly suvived from major accident. Claimed and toured to home just now.

Sorry, I didnt quite understand.. let me get it right.. the tyre came off while the car was doing 60kmph is it?

Well, if it did, the airbag probably didnt deploy cos it wasnt an 'impact' or sudden declaration.. I would imagine that when the wheel came of the car merely dragged itself to a halt. So that doesnt quite 'need' anythin to cushion the driver/passenger much...

And may i ask how do you say that the airbag 'system worked fine'? cos I dont think you can tell if its functional till it actually deploys

Edited by Dilesh

Sorry, I didnt quite understand.. let me get it right.. the tyre came off while the car was doing 60kmph is it?

sounds like thats what has happened,scary experience though cos it happened to me once on an oldie.

wonder what caused this to happen,specially on a modern car.

No.. Yesterday dad changed front tires with new one. The guy on the replacement store may not tied well.. May be some how it de-screwed on the road.. It a rare incident.. But scary, my brother told that nearly missed a man on the road when dragging..

No.. Yesterday dad changed front tires with new one. The guy on the replacement store may not tied well.. May be some how it de-screwed on the road.. It a rare incident.. But scary, my brother told that nearly missed a man on the road when dragging..

A loose tire flying off the car at any considerable speed can kill. Seems like you're pretty lucky.

ah I thought so...you really cant trust those tyre sales and service station buggers.That's why I always check and double check the wheel nuts and the sump/differantial oil nuts whenever i get the wheels reattached or after a service.

I mean dashboard indicator about airbag doesn't show problem before collapse.. May be you guys right. This was not collision impact. Just drag the vehicle on the road about 10m. So no need to deployed air bags

Yeah, a tyre coming loose shouldn't cause the airbag to go off. Actually its lucky it didn't; as once the airbags go off you need to get the whole front dash re-done.

For the airbags to go off the impact needs to be detected by the sensors located on the vehicle. Where the sensors are located depends on the air bag layout (safety setup, the features it incorporates etc.) of the car. Cars without side airbags typically only have a front airbag sensor mounted in the middle of the front bumper. In such a car even a front fender impact occurring around the front tyre-wall area, despite causing a heap of damage to front wing, might fail to deploy the air bags as the sensor is set with a bias towards the middle of the front bumper.

Even a T-bone accident which I was a witness to recently, failed to deploy the airbags in the car with the side impact as the contact occurred around the B-pillar area-The car in question didn't have a sensor in that area as it didn't have side air bags.

Edited by Kavvz

Hmm weird, coz you could sense a different noise when wheel nuts are loose

Hmm weird, coz you could sense a different noise when wheel nuts are loose

sorry to hear that, glad no ones hurt and machines can always repair unlike ourselves ;).

more than the noise you should feel excessive wobble and weird steering response. But the issue is not all drivers conversant with the noises and weird behaviours of the vehicle. With the level of sound proof in modern vehicles its not a surprise this sound went unnoticed.

First thing you should do is hammer the bugger who tightened the wheel nuts as they're playing with lives and fail to realise that.

Last week one of my friend has similar experience at Kandy M## City. His Hyundai acsent was taken to test drive to check engine just after the full service. And real wheel nuts not tightened properly. He had lucky escape .. noticed it just before wheel come out.

Edited by MkX

Just got my vehicle from a paint job today and my cousin felt a weird hum when driving. he checked the nuts to see none of the nuts were tightened. all could be turned with no effort! Crazy A**holes hadn't tightened the wheels! I HATE GARAGES!!

Just got my vehicle from a paint job today and my cousin felt a weird hum when driving. he checked the nuts to see none of the nuts were tightened. all could be turned with no effort! Crazy A**holes hadn't tightened the wheels! I HATE GARAGES!!

Lesson to learn for all of us...: Be there when your car is being attended too,...Services seem the worst and its disappointing to know that we expect our car to be Serviced and all Good to Go ! but a few feet down the road we get stuck....

L***FS had serviced my car, and I had asked them to change the coolant....Coolant was flushed , new coolant added...The morons did not bleed the radiator...5 feet away after leaving ...My Radiator blew up!! And the Dear Chairman said...Sorry we cant do anything...40k down!! ...

tyre joints...always observe while they re-attach your wheels and lug nuts...

some folks just finger tighten them just to take the jack off and forget to tighten them properly afterwards.