• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Adjusting Carburetor On Orion 4g12

GAPAUTO

Question

Hi,

I have done some carburettor adjustments on my previous VW Beetle (1069 Model) which was really easy according to the manual. No i own a Lancer station wagon which has a 4G12 Orion engine. When i try to adjust the idle volume control adjustment which is in bottom are of the carburator throat i get a weird problem. Normally if i'm correct engine should start to stall when i screw in that adjustment. But my engine doesn the oposite, it idles well when it is screwed in, which i think when the idle line is totally closed. when i try to screw it out the engine starts to stall. What can be the problem for this ? or does 4G12 carb act the oposite way with other carbs when adjusting this idle volumn control ?

Gayan.

10 answers to this question

Hi,

I have done some carburettor adjustments on my previous VW Beetle (1069 Model) which was really easy according to the manual. No i own a Lancer station wagon which has a 4G12 Orion engine. When i try to adjust the idle volume control adjustment which is in bottom are of the carburator throat i get a weird problem. Normally if i'm correct engine should start to stall when i screw in that adjustment. But my engine doesn the oposite, it idles well when it is screwed in, which i think when the idle line is totally closed. when i try to screw it out the engine starts to stall. What can be the problem for this ? or does 4G12 carb act the oposite way with other carbs when adjusting this idle volumn control ?

Gayan.

Hi GAPAUTO

Yes,the Carburetor adjustment screw works in different side depending on the carburetor, most of Hitachi works(opposite side of other carb) different than others,so if your engine doesn't stall when it is turning in , you have to turn it out to adjust it :) this turning side is differ from carb model to model so no worries turn it anti clock wise, :)

thanks

regards

sumith

Thanks Sumith :).

Any idea of a manual (Web Page, eBook) for this type of engine. I trying find one but still couldn't get hold of a manual for this model.

Hi Mate

Sorry Machan i think i got this list of manuals with me but unfortunately not 4G12

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/235/4g1y.jpg

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/7854/manuallist.jpg

ill try if possible to get one for you

thanks

regards

sumith

Edited by Sumiya

Hi Mate

Sorry Machan i think i got this list of manuals with me but unfortunately not 4G12

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/235/4g1y.jpg

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/7854/manuallist.jpg

ill try if possible to get one for you

thanks

regards

sumith

Well according to this 4G1 series include 4G12 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Orion_engine

Well the book might not contain very specific details since it covers a series of engines. I had a same kind of a manual with me when i had the VW.

Well according to this 4G1 series include 4G12 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Orion_engine

Well the book might not contain very specific details since it covers a series of engines. I had a same kind of a manual with me when i had the VW.

Gapauto,

I am interested in buying a Beetle for daily running ,,,,how suitable is it.is there spare parts for this model like 1300, 1303.

I am also looking for a decent car in the range of 250000 to 350000 maximum. Is your lancer the 1979 A72 station wagon model.I was also eying that model for sometime. Can you share any experience.

<!--quoteo(post=133288:date=Sep 11 2010, 02:46 AM:name=GAPAUTO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GAPAUTO @ Sep 11 2010, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=133288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well according to this 4G1 series include 4G12 as well.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Orion_engine" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Orion_engine</a>

Well the book might not contain very specific details since it covers a series of engines. I had a same kind of a manual with me when i had the VW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gapauto,

I am interested in buying a Beetle for daily running ,,,,how suitable is it.is there spare parts for this model like 1300, 1303.

I am also looking for a decent car in the range of 250000 to 350000 maximum. Is your lancer the 1979 A72 station wagon model.I was also eying that model for sometime. Can you share any experience.

Well about the beetle, well for daily driving in a traffic I don't think it will be a pleasant drive in a beetle, but otherwise its nice car to have and really easy with the maintenance. You have lots of online sites where you can learn thing to do it your self. 1300 is the normal model where you don't feel mush comfortable with the pedals and front suspension, but 1303 will do, since its comes with struts in front instead of shocks. But i guess the struts are bit hard to find, but not too hard though cause I have seen a lot of well maintained 1303s. 1303 normally came with original alternator, but if its a 1300 then it will be a Dyno. Engine timing and carb tuning is really easy with them, specially the 1300 engine. Fuel economy I would say it will do nearly 14kml in outstation, and more than 10kml in traffic.

About my lancer, I'm not sure whether its A72, but it's a a EL model which has a 4G12 engine.

Well about the beetle, well for daily driving in a traffic I don't think it will be a pleasant drive in a beetle, but otherwise its nice car to have and really easy with the maintenance. You have lots of online sites where you can learn thing to do it your self. 1300 is the normal model where you don't feel mush comfortable with the pedals and front suspension, but 1303 will do, since its comes with struts in front instead of shocks. But i guess the struts are bit hard to find, but not too hard though cause I have seen a lot of well maintained 1303s. 1303 normally came with original alternator, but if its a 1300 then it will be a Dyno. Engine timing and carb tuning is really easy with them, specially the 1300 engine. Fuel economy I would say it will do nearly 14kml in outstation, and more than 10kml in traffic.

About my lancer, I'm not sure whether its A72, but it's a a EL model which has a 4G12 engine.

thanks machang......how about the spares for this EL model....can you give a feed back on that.I should be a good option.If possbile please attach a photo as well.there are many versions one is the L light , then the flat light ...etc and it can be confusing.

A needle valve would probably close when turned in giving less fuel making the mixture lean, and turning out would increase the flow making it rich. That's what I know as the working of needle valves, like found in injectors or carbs etc. :) But better off with another affirmative answer I think, whether correct.

needle.gif

carb_basics.gif

Well that's the thing i also think that it should lean when screwing in, but for surprise idle doesn't die when screwing in, it dies when screwing out. it seems after adjusting things I'm getting nearly 10km per liter with the AC (none stock AC) in low traffic condition. Well is that all i could get out of it, or can i get more mileage with this model. Well the thing is mechanic had connected vacuum lines here and there, i had the VCV front line opened, which i close is using a sealed tube. and i have another diaphragm kind of thing which i think EGR or some thing which is left hanging. The power jet diaphragm is connected to one location which i'm not sure whether its correct. Any one who has this engine with all these hoses connected correctly can post a picture of it, that would be really appreciated or may be some guide line to find my way even.