• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Atf Flush

MiraOwner

Question

Planning on doing an ATF flush by myself. the motor has done 150K+ on the odo. so wondering what type of oil would be best suited. and is there any type of additive that i can use for to clean up the built up gunk? has anyone tried this before..

my approach would be as described below. you are welcome to criticize.

1. Remove the drain plug of the transmission and drain the ATF completely.

2. Put the drain plug back on and fill the ATF back to the normal level with fresh oil via ATF dip stick opening.

3. Remove the hose which takes ATF oil to the radiator for cooling and plug it to a lengthier hose which ends up in a bucket to collect the fluid outside the engine bay.

4. start the motor and watch the ATF squirt out of the hose into the bucket till the ATF changes to a crispy red (in the meantime keep pouring ATF into the transmission)

5. finally when the gunk is cleared. stop the engine and top up the ATF to normal levels.

what i need to know is the following.

A. is the above process recommended (if at all correct)

B. what is the best oil that i can use (when i mean best i mean BEST)

C. and is there any additive in the market that i can use along with the ATF?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question