• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Long Do Car Speakers Typically Last?

Sifaan

Question

I replaced all 4 main speakers (6") on my car today, because all the original ones were damaged - the outer curved ridge on the cone (just before the cone connects to the speaker frame) was pretty much non-existent on all the speakers. The speakers were damaged already when I got the car few months ago, at which point the car was 7.5 years old... is that par for the course when it comes to speaker lifetimes? or is it another one of those areas where euro cars don't like our climate?

7 answers to this question

that part tends to wear out anyways cos it's where the most of the movement happens.

So if the build quality of the material is good...it should last a little longer.

Another issue is that this part doesn't like moisture so if the beedings are leaking a water into the door internals...speakers can go bad very fast.

I busted up one of mine like that... i've been driving around for a couple of days without the shutter fully closed and water had creeped in...

speaker itself was working but the outer ring had cracked...

A decent solution is to add speaker baffles. Its a foam housing kinda thing that fits at the back of the speaker protecting it from any water intrusion.

Haven't seen them for sale here but you can buy em on ebay

If you speakers are good stuff with a hefty price tag getting these baffles is a good idea

that part tends to wear out anyways cos it's where the most of the movement happens.

So if the build quality of the material is good...it should last a little longer.

Another issue is that this part doesn't like moisture so if the beedings are leaking a water into the door internals...speakers can go bad very fast.

I busted up one of mine like that... i've been driving around for a couple of days without the shutter fully closed and water had creeped in...

speaker itself was working but the outer ring had cracked...

A decent solution is to add speaker baffles. Its a foam housing kinda thing that fits at the back of the speaker protecting it from any water intrusion.

Haven't seen them for sale here but you can buy em on ebay

If you speakers are good stuff with a hefty price tag getting these baffles is a good idea

thanks for the info... I think the door has baffles integrated (at least, there is some kind of housing or cover that the speaker fits in to) but was fixing the speakers at night so didn't really notice if they were in good condition / damaged. will check and see.

I replaced all 4 main speakers (6") on my car today, because all the original ones were damaged - the outer curved ridge on the cone (just before the cone connects to the speaker frame) was pretty much non-existent on all the speakers. The speakers were damaged already when I got the car few months ago, at which point the car was 7.5 years old... is that par for the course when it comes to speaker lifetimes? or is it another one of those areas where euro cars don't like our climate?

Most of rear speakers (on boot) are damadged due to direct sunlight also heat.there are some sony speakers which is made specilly cars comes with alumenium cone and those are bit a durable. may be thease are expencive.

Most of rear speakers (on boot) are damadged due to direct sunlight also heat.there are some sony speakers which is made specilly cars comes with alumenium cone and those are bit a durable. may be thease are expencive.

imho...the issue mostly lies not with the cone itself but the rubber/paper surround that hold the cone to the speaker frame

the are the ones that over time tend to get brittle and break off... uv rays in sunlight can eat up even the best of rubbers...

when i had the car...i was using a reflector thing over the speakers when parked out in the sun to at least reduce some of the heat damage..

when i had the car...i was using a reflector thing over the speakers when parked out in the sun to at least reduce some of the heat damage..

what kind of reflector thing? do you mean like cutting up some McFoil reflector and pasting on the baffle?

good thing is you can restore them. I've restored the rear original speakers came along with the 406 and it has been working for more than two years perfectly and the sound quality is better than the newly fitted kenwood pair in the front doors.

now you tell me :P

btw how did you fix up the kenwoods to the pug connector? did you get some kind of adapter?

now you tell me :P

btw how did you fix up the kenwoods to the pug connector? did you get some kind of adapter?

peeled off the original wire slightly above from the connector and fixed two wires. Two connectors meant to suite the Kenwoods were attached to the end of the new wires. That's it and still the original connectors too remain.