• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Knocking In 2Nd Gear

zorro

Question

10 answers to this question

Why on earth would anyone do that to a Subaru?

I am not sure, but the Boxer engine needs high octane fuel... LPG is not exactly higjh Octane if I am not mistake. Someone who knows more about the Subarus might know more.

You might be mistaken there. AFAIK the octane rating of LPG is far higher than petrol. This itself maybe the cause of the problem.

Just putting this out there, though i'm not familiar with LPG much; could a low gas pressure be causing your problem? If you have set the output pressure too low and you are not getting enough gas into the cylinder the engine may knock. Once again, not familiar with LPG but seems like a plausible diagnosis.

You might be mistaken there. AFAIK the octane rating of LPG is far higher than petrol. This itself maybe the cause of the problem.

You are correct, Propane has a RON of 110. So like you said, this could be the reason in itself.

I think the main fault lies in the fact that these engines may not be suitable for LP conversions.

I dont know if this could be done to this engine but you need to manually advance the ignition for the 110 octane.

Advancing Ignition timing result more knocking , so this will become worse then,

could be a octane ratio issue but how come it can happen only on 2nd gear , not possible :)

i am confused :unsure:

thanks

regards

sumith

I dont know if this could be done to this engine but you need to manually advance the ignition for the 110 octane.

just a thought... could it be that the timing was advanced too much during the conversion, hence causing knocking?

and is the knocking happening only when changing to 2nd gear (i.e. goes away when accelerating), or right throughout in 2nd gear (and goes away in 3rd)?

My old car was converted to gas 8 years ago. Then the ignition timing was advanced manually by the mechanic. But it is difficult to have an optimum duel fuel system beacuse it is tuned to gas and not for petrol. So now it runs only on gas. I have even removed the petrol tank :D to save some weight but it was not that heavy so I might fix it back :lol:

Zorro, you better take it back to the installer.