• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Used Rx8's- Opinoins Anyone?

Kavvz

Am grappling with the idea of buying a used (04 or 05) RX-8 and am wondering what you folk might have to say?

What should I look out for? What are the common maintenance problems associated with it and roughly how much would the the annual up keep on this be in comparison to a non-rotary engine?

Andrew_GTR and Velocity: I believe you guys own RX8's currently. Any advice / comments you might be kind enough to share?

dillongt: I believe you run a Mazda 3 and a RX-7 currently? What do you have to say? Any tips? And how do the maintenance costs on the two compare? If the deal on the RX8 falls through I'll be looking at a 05-06 Mazda 3 what thoughts do you have on that?

Madmax: Any thoughts you might have on resale values etc. would be greatly appreciated as well.

Am grappling with the idea of buying a used (04 or 05) RX-8 and am wondering what you folk might have to say?

Madmax: Any thoughts you might have on resale values etc. would be greatly appreciated as well.

Because of the country's situation the car market is almost at a standstill. That said the prices aren't coming down either as the government keeps bumping up the taxes. But folks who are in a hurry to sell their cars are desperate (for example people looking to migrate etc.) and got to know that you can even bargain about Rs 200k less from such owners if you have ready cash.

Also I believe a lot of importers are cutting their imports down due to the 100% increase on LC terms. Anyway my best advice is to get it as cheap as you can. Sports cars have a very limited customer base in SL and hence best to bargain. Also during desperate times like these people are less willing to spend on a thrill ride but rather keep their money in the banks. One advice is never rush into buying such a car. The seller might try to show you that the car is in hot demand but it's always otherwise and you will experience it for yourself when you try to sell it one fine day.

What is the background of the owner? Migrating, in need of cash or something similar?

Edited by madmax

Hey Bro.... Yes i do currently own an RX8 and i am going to be very very honest with my opinion... 1st of all when purchasing a used RX8 you have to make sure that the owner knows the kind of car he has and has looked after it properly... ask him how many times he adds the proper oil (in my case Castrol GTX 5w-20) which should be a quart every 2 fill ups or halfway on the dipstick...secondly ask him if he warms up the car before use and if so for how long... ( the 2004 models had a problem with flooding which was when you started the car and moved it 5 feet without warming the car to proper operationg temperature and then shuttin it off immediately) this leads to the car flooding and is a friggin pain in the ass to sort out... ask him if he drives the car without DSC and if so has anything major happened...this car is very very twitchy in wet weather and to drive it without traction control is a death wish... dude the major negatives of this car is that it requires alot of attention and proper maintenance... also check if any modifications have been made to the RX8... i say this because if mods have been done the person that did it would have to know for certain what he is doing...exhaust work in this car is a mess and a small mistake can send all the sensors through the roof.... The BIGGEST problem however is that RX8's tend to build up alot of carbon if they are not redlined regualrly or on a daily basis...this car has a redline of 9000rpm ...make use of it!!! Just ask me any questions that you need and ill try to answer them... also a awesome place for all kinds of information is www.rx8club.com which is a haven for RX8 owners! cheers!

• Like 2

Because of the country's situation the car market is almost at a standstill. That said the prices aren't coming down either as the government keeps bumping up the taxes. But folks who are in a hurry to sell their cars are desperate (for example people looking to migrate etc.) and got to know that you can even bargain about Rs 200k less from such owners if you have ready cash.

Also I believe a lot of importers are cutting their imports down due to the 100% increase on LC terms. Anyway my best advice is to get it as cheap as you can. Sports cars have a very limited customer base in SL and hence best to bargain. Also during desperate times like these people are less willing to spend on a thrill ride but rather keep their money in the banks. One advice is never rush into buying such a car. The seller might try to show you that the car is in hot demand but it's always otherwise and you will experience it for yourself when you try to sell it one fine day.

What is the background of the owner? Migrating, in need of cash or something similar?

Sorry madmax, my bad. I should have stated I'm buying the RX8 for use in Canada off a local dealer here and that I plan on using for a year or two before moving on.

Considering that you're currently in the States and considering your expertise at buying and selling cars; I was wondering what you might know of the second-hand market here in N. America and if you would buy a second hand RX8 as a daily driver to sell off in a year or two....

Hey Bro.... Yes i do currently own an RX8 and i am going to be very very honest with my opinion... 1st of all when purchasing a used RX8 you have to make sure that the owner knows the kind of car he has and has looked after it properly... ask him how many times he adds the proper oil (in my case Castrol GTX 5w-20) which should be a quart every 2 fill ups or halfway on the dipstick...secondly ask him if he warms up the car before use and if so for how long... ( the 2004 models had a problem with flooding which was when you started the car and moved it 5 feet without warming the car to proper operationg temperature and then shuttin it off immediately) this leads to the car flooding and is a friggin pain in the ass to sort out... ask him if he drives the car without DSC and if so has anything major happened...this car is very very twitchy in wet weather and to drive it without traction control is a death wish... dude the major negatives of this car is that it requires alot of attention and proper maintenance... also check if any modifications have been made to the RX8... i say this because if mods have been done the person that did it would have to know for certain what he is doing...exhaust work in this car is a mess and a small mistake can send all the sensors through the roof.... The BIGGEST problem however is that RX8's tend to build up alot of carbon if they are not redlined regualrly or on a daily basis...this car has a redline of 9000rpm ...make use of it!!! Just ask me any questions that you need and ill try to answer them... also a awesome place for all kinds of information is www.rx8club.com which is a haven for RX8 owners! cheers!

Great info Andrew. Its exactly the kind of stuff I need to know.

In this particular case I'm not too sure as how the car has been used as the one's I've short listed are all off dealers. They all have roughly between 60 and 90k on the odometer and they are all unmodified. What sort of stuff should I look for on test drives? (What did you look for when you bought yours?) Also: Is yours an automatic?

Edited by Kavvz

Ok if your buying if off the dealers and specially over here in the U.S you shouldnt be too worried... make sure the all important 60k service has been done and also all TSB's and recall bulletins...there should be 'Mazda Authorised' stickers all over the bonnet if these recalls have been done...we over here are lucky as Mazda changed the warranty on engines to 8 years and 100,000 miles so thats awesome... Mine is the 6 speed manual and i honeslty suggest you go for an manual as the extra HP and fun factor do come into play... on the test drive just look out for a few simple things make sure the gears dont grind between 3rd and 4th which is a common problem with the RX8's... also look for any lil signs of abuse that u would with any car... since ur here in the states get the VIN number and run a CarFax check so that you can be sure of its background, service schedules and of course any accidents... BUY WINTER TIRES!!!! LoL... Trust me on that one!! :D ... Finally just enjoy the car on the test drive, make sure to take the car to its redline and go through some twisty areas and you will be hooked... i went to the dealership to buy a Subaru STi and whilst waiting for them to bring one out from the back i decided to drive the RX8 for the hell of it.... went for 10 mins, came back to the sales guy told him to forget the subaru and drove my baby back home... :D

Ok if your buying if off the dealers and specially over here in the U.S you shouldnt be too worried... make sure the all important 60k service has been done and also all TSB's and recall bulletins...there should be 'Mazda Authorised' stickers all over the bonnet if these recalls have been done...we over here are lucky as Mazda changed the warranty on engines to 8 years and 100,000 miles so thats awesome... Mine is the 6 speed manual and i honeslty suggest you go for an manual as the extra HP and fun factor do come into play... on the test drive just look out for a few simple things make sure the gears dont grind between 3rd and 4th which is a common problem with the RX8's... also look for any lil signs of abuse that u would with any car... since ur here in the states get the VIN number and run a CarFax check so that you can be sure of its background, service schedules and of course any accidents... BUY WINTER TIRES!!!! LoL... Trust me on that one!! :D ... Finally just enjoy the car on the test drive, make sure to take the car to its redline and go through some twisty areas and you will be hooked... i went to the dealership to buy a Subaru STi and whilst waiting for them to bring one out from the back i decided to drive the RX8 for the hell of it.... went for 10 mins, came back to the sales guy told him to forget the subaru and drove my baby back home... :D

Its interesting that you passed up a STI for an RX8. To be honest my first choice was an STI but it was out of my price range and I then shifted focus towards the RX8. Cool angle-now suddenly it doesn't seem like I'm settling for second best anymore lolz !!

Oh you have a six speed manual? -Cool. I kind of like the slush box version because of the paddle shifters on the wheel etc. But will certainly test drive the manual as well and watch for signs of grinding.

Thanks for the heads up on the CarFax tip, the gear grinding issue as well as info on the RX8.com website . I really appreciate it. Thanks Andrew_GTR.

i would not recommend you to buy any USED RX8 unless you know who used it and whats the cars history.

if you are spending on a rx8 don't go above 3.5 mil for a reg,

just double checking, you are talking in prospect to sri lankan car market right? if so how realistic is that 3.5mil price range or did you mean ¥3.5mil?

just double checking, you are talking in prospect to sri lankan car market right? if so how realistic is that 3.5mil price range or did you mean ¥3.5mil?

Well Rs 3.5 mil if its a 2003 model because the Last Two cars which i knew got sold fetched 3.2 and 3.5 mil. One was Grey Type S with VOLK RACING Wheels. Spending more than that would be waster of money becuase 2nd hand for the car is extremely low in SL....

Well Rs 3.5 mil if its a 2003 model because the Last Two cars which i knew got sold fetched 3.2 and 3.5 mil. One was Grey Type S with VOLK RACING Wheels. Spending more than that would be waster of money becuase 2nd hand for the car is extremely low in SL....

damn... i guess the main reason behind the poor value is the rotary engine. in an era people quoting 2mil for a RX-7 a 8 sounds far more attractive if you do have that extra dosh i guess.

& you get the added bonus of a usable set of seats at the back and a newer vehicle!

taking that into consideration some even may say it's better than going for a 300Z (i'm just pulling your leg mate) BTW i droped you an email

are there any other engines that can be accomadated to the RX-8 engine bay insted of a rotart? heard the caravan engine can and is used in LR 110s. any truth?

taking that into consideration some even may say it's better than going for a 300Z (i'm just pulling your leg mate) BTW i droped you an email

are there any other engines that can be accomadated to the RX-8 engine bay insted of a rotart? heard the caravan engine can and is used in LR 110s. any truth?

:lol: i betcha bottom dollar that VG motor is far more livable , usable and drivable than a Rotary when used in our conditions :)

i've heard of a Bongo van engine in a Rx7,but seeing is believing i guess...

i feel that the new rotory might survive at least 100,000 km or above if really well maintained..

Only 100K km's :o Thats quite low. Is that engine have such a short life? What needs doing when it wears out? is it just changing the rotors or does it involve a lot of work

• 3 weeks later...
Ok this is a old thread and this may sound weird....but does anyone know if there are ANY RX8's for sale in colombo? pls let me know...thanks!

What's the deal? You like yours down state-side so much you want one for SL as well?

On another note I'm curious as to what you think about the 100k mark being the upper end of the RX-8 rotary power plant's useful life. Is this in Sri Lankan context? Or does it apply to N America as well?

What's the deal? You like yours down state-side so much you want one for SL as well?

On another note I'm curious as to what you think about the 100k mark being the upper end of the RX-8 rotary power plant's useful life. Is this in Sri Lankan context? Or does it apply to N America as well?

Hahahah dude u have no idea how much i love this car and thats in context to all the other cars i own... its just something else when u drive it and learn about it... as for mileage i have quite a few friends running their original engines with way over 110,000 miles on it with no problems yet... as long as u care for it and looka after it properly then the car will give its own back...everyone that says the engine sucks or its a troublesome car really hasnt taken the time to appreciate it and look after a rotary.... even in sri lanka im sure ppl will give u two view points...the enthusiast and the people that buy em for the 'show off' status...the latter being the bigger complainers! :D

even in sri lanka im sure ppl will give u two view points...the enthusiast and the people that buy em for the 'show off' status...the latter being the bigger complainers! :D

yep...my advice is don't ever take advice about RX's from a person who hasn't owned one himself...it's like the the people who put down bikes without ever having ridden one...

infact if anyone is in two minds about buying a RX and is also looking at other cars it's probably not the car for you...cos most of the people that buy them(in SL) had made up their minds about it from the start...

. as long as u care for it and looka after it properly then the car will give its own back...everyone that says the engine sucks or its a troublesome car really hasnt taken the time to appreciate it and look after a rotary....

precisely...i love the rotary power mazda's....take care of it...put in the requird stuff without going for the cheaper option and it will be fine...my family at one time or another has owned many rx7's(FB/FC)infact my first car was a RX7 FD Efini,and i loved that car,of course it ate up all my money but it was worth it...a true supercar :) seriously considering buying another FD (can't afford a RX8 :( )...becoming a lil bored with vtec's :P

Interesting input- Thanks guys.

Based on what you say HelRazor; I fear I might be one of those people who fall into the category you defined by saying; "infact if anyone is in two minds about buying a RX and is also looking at other cars it's probably not the car for you......" :D

See, I really like the RX-8. I like the funky interior and exterior design, its edgy road presence, the sweet chirpy engine; it all adds up and makes for a very unique car. I haven't driven the type of exotics that you have Andrew_GTR; but I can totally relate when you say the car's a gem. In my mind its a classic, a car like the RX-7 which will be collected, loved and talked about by those in the know. However ,my reservations lie with the fact that I plan on using the car as my daily driver. Furthermore as I'm looking to sell in a year or two and I don't want to be stuck with a finicky car thats close to the end of its useful life.

Things are futher complicated as 2005 Infinity G35 coupes' with comparable mileage fall within the same price range. A second-hand G35 would make a perfect daily driver. The G35's beautiful lines and its well appointed interior certainly appeal. It does however totally lack the sensory excitement of the RX-8.

To sum up I'm on the fence: On one side, I have a nice preppy little commuter with creature comforts, a reputation for low maintenance and no-nonsense driving. On the other, I have the Rx-8 an edgy little gem of a car that really feels nimble and sporty. Its certainly got lots of flair but has a reputation to boot. My main fear is that I might end up spending tons more that I expect on day-to-day maintenance and I'd really be up the creek if the engine conks out on me...

Your thoughts gentlemen?

Edited by Kavvz

Based on what you say HelRazor; I fear I might be one of those people who fall into the category you defined by saying; "infact if anyone is in two minds about buying a RX and is also looking at other cars it's probably not the car for you......" :D

See, I really like the RX-8. I like the funky interior and exterior design, its edgy road presence, the sweet chirpy engine; it all adds up and makes for a very unique car. I haven't driven the type of exotics that you have Andrew_GTR; but I can totally relate when you say the car's a gem. In my mind its a classic, a car like the RX-7 which will be collected, loved and talked about by those in the know. However ,my reservations lie with the fact that I plan on using the car as my daily driver. Furthermore as I'm looking to sell in a year or two and I don't want to be stuck with a finicky car thats close to the end of its useful life.

Things are futher complicated as 2005 Infinity G35 coupes' with comparable mileage fall within the same price range. A second-hand G35 would make a perfect daily driver. The G35's beautiful lines and its well appointed interior certainly appeal. It does however totally lack the sensory excitement of the RX-8.

To sum up I'm on the fence: On one side, I have a nice preppy little commuter with creature comforts, a reputation for low maintenance and no-nonsense driving. On the other, I have the Rx-8 an edgy little gem of a car that really feels nimble and sporty. Its certainly got lots of flair but has a reputation to boot. My main fear is that I might end up spending tons more that I expect on day-to-day maintenance and I'd really be up the creek if the engine conks out on me...

Your thoughts gentlemen?

lol no no machan my comments were not aimed at you...just following up on andrew said about Rx's...i'm sure you are a true enthusiast :)

my experience is only with RX7's...infact i've only driven a RX8 for an hour or two...but while the RX7 was produced as a full on porsce killer the RX8 was made just for guys with your'e requirments,for people who want a nice somwhat practical sports car....and based on what andrew and the other guys said it a pretty usable car...just be careful when buying second hand...i guess by your comments that you are living abroad so you'll have plenty of cars to choose from...good luck :)

Your thoughts gentlemen?

Well this i a common misconception about the RX8's maintanence... their is very little money involved in the actual maintainence... hehehe my actual costs are as follow : $12 - 3 Quarts of Castrol GTX ( for a month ) , $15 - washing and keeping it clean , $90 - mazda service ( every 3000 km ) and thats it! :D and my car is a daily driver, sits 4 people easily and lugs about all my grocery's... not to mention the turbo killings i manage on the highways! ... the more important maintainence is simply warming up your engine, checking oil levels, tire pressure, redlining to erase carbon and keeping your oil and air filters clean... thats all bro! Just buy a RX8 that is under 100,000 miles and u have the added benefit of mazda's warranty for every single RX8 for engine failure... they recently increased the warranty to 8 years and 100,000 miles... you can pick up a very good condition RX8 made in 2005 , 6SP GT with less than 50,000 miles for around $15,000 now... so heck why not? :D mind u i test drove the G35 and allthough it is a nice car, it just didnt appeal to me... plus the fact that my aunts have em too... :P anyways dude let us know what ur final plans are!