• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Srilankan Paying So Much Money On Cars?

Parak

Question

Hi all

Albeit the prices of vehicles in Sri Lanka is high compare to the income of a avarage person, why people willing to spend so much money on automobiles. As I realised public transport in SriLanka is so effective as such any body can travel to most of the destinations so cheap even though it is slow and little uncomfortable.

Average person in other countries do a analysis before they buying a automobile (no arguments for the behaviour of Petrol heads, Automoblie enthusiasts). Keeping cost of a vehicle vs using a alternative transport such as Taxi and public transport. It is good to see that sort of trend developing in Sri Lanka as an example some people use dedicated three wheelers for some of their un routine trips.

I have seen professionals working in develolped countries who earning above avarage tend to use small fuel efficient vehicals for day to day traveling. Some people travel to the nearest railway or bus station on a bike or a car and rest of the traveling is done through the public transport.

In other countries use of a vehicle is highly diverse and choose the vehicle according to the requirement. Such as for farms, traveling in remote rough tracks, receational use, trade vehicles, requirement of pulling trailers etc.

Like I saw recently 2005 Land Curiser turbo diesel for 300000(in Rs) for sale in Australia. If it is in Sri Lanka people would jump to buy it rather than thinking of its intending use. I have seen in this forum that people talking about some vehicles those are expensive and very hard to maintain in Sri Lanka

I think it is better to develop the public transport and related facilities while developing policies to hinder the use of private automobiles in rush hours, in main cities etc.

Dedicated bus lanes, buses only roads would be things to go

• Answers 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

mate you staying here on your holiday for 6 weeks and taking a few bus rides for the "experience" doesn't really give you the correct view of things now does it?

say when we too travel abroad, we too love to break the habit and do something different just for the heck of it... doesn't mean we want to or can do it all the time...

like i've taken those bike taxies in bangkok during peak traffic times...it was cheap, fast...got the job done far better than a car taxi could...

would i use it all the time???

If you travel to work on a daily basis with some your belongings like a comp etc.. in public transport...not get your clothes dirty...not get late cos the damn bus bugger is only interested in loading up folks...

you do that for 6 weeks and i will buy your argument :)

I think it's unfair to judge local car users like this without you yourself taking the bus to work in SL on a daily basis don't you think

Hi Ripper

Good argument. How the hell all those people going to work in the chocabolock public transport every day. Why don't they buy cars and go to work. Do the school kids drive to school or take the bus. How many people in Sri Lankan workforce can afford to take the car to work? As every thing is bulshit. If govt limit the number of private vehicles enter in to the ciities(as I heard govt going to implement the idea). So many people those who do not like the little incovinence have to take the bus.

Just assume if all the people take the public transport start to drive to work, can U think what sort of traffic situation going to happen in Colombo. About 60 odd cars instead of one bus.

I want to appriciate the public taking the public transport allowing sooks to drive to work

Hi Ripper

Good argument. How the hell all those people going to work in the chocabolock public transport every day. Why don't they buy cars and go to work. Do the school kids drive to school or take the bus. How many people in Sri Lankan workforce can afford to take the car to work? As every thing is bulshit. If govt limit the number of private vehicles enter in to the ciities(as I heard govt going to implement the idea). So many people those who do not like the little incovinence have to take the bus.

Just assume if all the people take the public transport start to drive to work, can U think what sort of traffic situation going to happen in Colombo. About 60 odd cars instead of one bus.

I want to appriciate the public taking the public transport allowing sooks to drive to work

I am kinda with ripper on this. The most important thing on this matter is not really money, its all about your lifestyle and the things which you have used to.

Practically a man can go to work by bus with tie on and a notebook. He might get sweat and bit of dirt on the cloths or might not.

Each and every person who goes to work by car knows that when he travels by the bus everyday there will be a big savings by the end of the month. But when people get used to some facilities its not easy to downgrade. So simply they wont.

Hi Ripper

Mate if you think this new plan of the Govt. is a great one I really feel sorry for you. Bcoz you may be a proud Sri Lankan, but you don't know anything abt SL. At least abt the public transport sector. What Govt. is doing is not addressing the issue, but doing totally different Bull S**t. If they want to stop pvt vehicles entering in to the cities, all they have to do is improve the public transport. We don't ask for such comfort like A/C, adjustable seats, etc. But the basic needs like all of the others has mentioned. Specially treated like humans, not like animals.

I travel daily in 255 route, I feel like hell. The first thing I do, when I pass out is buy a car. Bcoz, I don't know you can understand what I says, the bus takes abt 1hr to travel, which is a 30 min journey in a car and hope you can imagine how you feel when you are in a bus which having the capacity of 60 carrying abt 100 ppl and stops in every god dam place for abt 5-10min until someone will get on to the bus.

So mate be practical. If the public transport sector is at least so good as a fraction of the transport system in the developed countries, then ppl in SL do not use their own vehicles for day today traveling.

Good argument. How the hell all those people going to work in the chocabolock public transport every day. Why don't they buy cars and go to work.

weak argument here on your part mate. in any society in the world...there are levels within it based on monetary power, education etc etc etc...

not all those who have cars had them handed over to them by their rich families... some had to work very hard for them and i belong to one of those. I too used to take the bus...then a bike and now a car...

If those people who take the bus now had the chance you think they won't go for a car??

reality is that some folks have a better life than others...better clothes, better phones, better houses etc... and some take the bus while others can afford a car... It's what you have achieved in life that allows you have a batter quality of life the way you see fit...

Do the school kids drive to school or take the bus.

again...lame argument...read above reply!

How many people in Sri Lankan workforce can afford to take the car to work?

so what's the point here...just because a majority of people can't afford a car that other also shouldn't?

you know how many have access to clean drinking water in this county? electricity? roads?

so if majority is deprived should the minority too let go of certain luxuries that they have gained though hard work?

As every thing is bulshit.

yep...what folks haven't experienced first hand and try talk about like they have figured it out is all BS! :)

like the one you're dishing here...

If govt limit the number of private vehicles enter in to the ciities(as I heard govt going to implement the idea). So many people those who do not like the little incovinence have to take the bus.

you don't have experience taking the bus everyday to work in SL mate so you really can't comment on the "inconvenience" factor here...

practice before you preach mate!

again weak argument...

so how are the developed countries are coping then, does everybody own a vehicle? do all of them drive to work? and you think all sri lankans will be able to afford their own vehicle in the next century at least?

get real mate!

ha ha ha

funny man you are... :)

i hope you appreciate that so many folks are deprived and/or less fortunate to afford so many things in life allowing others to enjoy all things that they are missing out on...

what logic....

are you a Darwin award winner by any chance :) :)

thanks for the entertainment mate :) :) :) :)

weak argument here on your part mate. in any society in the world...there are levels within it based on monetary power, education etc etc etc...

not all those who have cars had them handed over to them by their rich families... some had to work very hard for them and i belong to one of those. I too used to take the bus...then a bike and now a car...

If those people who take the bus now had the chance you think they won't go for a car??

reality is that some folks have a better life than others...better clothes, better phones, better houses etc... and some take the bus while others can afford a car... It's what you have achieved in life that allows you have a batter quality of life the way you see fit...

again...lame argument...read above reply!

so what's the point here...just because a majority of people can't afford a car that other also shouldn't?

you know how many have access to clean drinking water in this county? electricity? roads?

so if majority is deprived should the minority too let go of certain luxuries that they have gained though hard work?

yep...what folks haven't experienced first hand and try talk about like they have figured it out is all BS! :)

like the one you're dishing here...

you don't have experience taking the bus everyday to work in SL mate so you really can't comment on the "inconvenience" factor here...

practice before you preach mate!

again weak argument...

so how are the developed countries are coping then, does everybody own a vehicle? do all of them drive to work? and you think all sri lankans will be able to afford their own vehicle in the next century at least?

get real mate!

ha ha ha

funny man you are... :)

i hope you appreciate that so many folks are deprived and/or less fortunate to afford so many things in life allowing others to enjoy all things that they are missing out on...

what logic....

are you a Darwin award winner by any chance :) :)

thanks for the entertainment mate :) :) :) :)

lol, was about to fire off a lengthy reply myself to this gent, but you seem to have covered all the points ripper, slow day at work today? :lol:

@ Parak, if you take some time to read through rippers posts, and the post of Thanushka, who incidentally DOES take the bus up and down every day... you'll see exactly why as soon as people can afford an alternative method of transport, they jump to it! Public transport in SL has a LOONG way to go before it becomes a viable option for say an average working professional to use day to day.... First and foremost the powers that be would need to get the private bus a**holes in line.... and then sort out the state funded transport.

The key point here Parak is, as Ripper pointed out, Practice before you Preach..... and equally as important, Think before you Type.

let me add my 2 pence here. the countries you were refering to parak either had a solid efficient transportation system for decades, if not centuries. take london for example. getting from one corner to the other there's nothing more efficient than taking a tube train or 2. thats how those people were brought up. for them its the easiest and quickest method.

now take sri lanka. every kid is brought upto believe that public transportation is rubbish (cos it really is) and that they should work hard at school so they can afford their own car. so i guess thats how we are.

let me say just one more thing. your arguement is reasonable. but perhaps you should spend more time in the "real" sri lanka of sweaty bus rides, trains that don't arrive on time and sudden downpours. i think getting people into the bus (or the train) is not the priority here. its building up a better economy so we have more spending power (so we actually have an option between the car and the bus/train) but more importantly build up safe secure efficient clean public transport system that people would actually dont mind taking before forcing them to get out their cars to avoid congestion etc etc.

ideas travel. but we'll stick to our old ways, at least until we have a decent trasport system thanks very much.

Yes I am a proud SriLankan. I spent nearly six weeks of holiday in Kandy area. I always took the bus to go to the city (where I stayed is rural and nice 16 km to the city). No hassal of finding a parking space. Eventhough bit overloaded it is ok to stand up insice the bus for nearly 45 min to go to city. It took nearly 35 min on the car to go to the city manuvouring around the pot holes(no complains about that). It is very very cheap to use the bus 10 Rs return. For a diesel car cost all up would be around 100Rs(including wear and tear).

You've been lucky to find a route that is a "bit" overloaded and you can stand. Ask the school kids and guys who have to travel on buses with a toe on the footboard and clinging onto the door frame with the tips of his fingernails how little the inconvenience is. Specially if you need to take more than one bus! And how long it takes. Coz thats Colombo during rush hour.

And this is not even getting personal. Personally, I don't even bother getting into rosa buses coz I can't stand (roof is too short) and I can't sit (there isn't enough room for my legs). And I'm only 6 feet tall! Its not like I'm Shaq.

I'll tell you this, I'm damn grateful to work at a company that provides its own shuttle service. Considering the round trip is 50km, no direct bus routes so have to detour and take two buses (and getting to the first one is a 20 min walk from the house), and the last bus stop is 2Km from office! Get down and walk it from that point! Hell, I'd probably at least buy one of those damn dinky toy electric cars and hope the charge survives the round trip! I've served my time running around for classes while in school and my first work place.

Hi all

Thanks for the positive and negative comments (in my opinion). In this moment of world economic crisis and the war situation of our motherland every body who loves there country Please Please stop spending forigen exchange on luxuries. Bit roughing out would not kill U. Just think about the our brave forces fighting in wet uniforms crossing knee deep mud pools putting their life and the futrue of their families in risk.

It is so funny that some people complain about sweating when they wear ties in public transport. When U are in SriLanka please try to be a SriLankan. We have to develop everything that suits to SriLankan climate and culture. Please keep Ur tie in the office no need to wear it in the public transport. Anyway it is so funny to see some people(like sales reps etc) wearing ties and walking in middle of the hot sunny humid days. As a Sri Lankan we have to change the attitude of private and government entities towards the work dress. It is so rare to see a guy wearing a full suite in the hot summer in here. They always try to wear something professional instead of tie and the suite.

This is the time for SriLankan to change their mind set about showing off the fellow SriLankans spending unwanted money on blings.

I was talking to a Australian Doctor(pure SriLankan origin) who's family migrated to Australian when she was a infant. Her sinhala comprehension and speaking ability very low but always trying to speak in Sinhala when mingle with the SriLankans. As she was in SriLanka she came accross the SriLankan mentality. She said that she learned english from sinhalalese they always trying to speak in English. Why is this? They want to show that they are a super class not a normal Sihalese.

Oh Yes, Try to drive thursty 4.7 L Jeeeps, LCurisers, Land Rovers at less than 60kmph guzzeling loads of fuel and wear ties and speak in forign language to allianate the common people.

Hi all

Thanks for the positive and negative comments (in my opinion). In this moment of world economic crisis and the war situation of our motherland every body who loves there country Please Please stop spending forigen exchange on luxuries. Bit roughing out would not kill U. Just think about the our brave forces fighting in wet uniforms crossing knee deep mud pools putting their life and the futrue of their families in risk.

Something I've noticed is that a lot of Sri Lankan migrants are overly patriotic. But once they land in Sri Lanka they will not last a week and looking at going back as soon as possible. If you're so fond of you motherland why not you come and live here and serve the people of this country? Try living the rough life here everyday rather than doing it on your vacation?

Hi all

Hi parak,

Ok. Now this proves to me that your a nut. So obviously, no rational arguments will work with you :action-smiley-060: .

I was talking to a Australian Doctor(pure SriLankan origin) who's family migrated to Australian when she was a infant. Her sinhala comprehension and speaking ability very low but always trying to speak in Sinhala when mingle with the SriLankans. As she was in SriLanka she came accross the SriLankan mentality. She said that she learned english from sinhalalese they always trying to speak in English. Why is this? They want to show that they are a super class not a normal Sihalese.

OMG so many things absurd abt that...where to even begin!

Umm... how do you say "Your an a$$hole" in parakanese?

Mr. Parak,

If you are so patriotic and have such care abt SL, then why r u living in a foreign country. You can give your valuable service to SL, why are you working for someone else.

Well this might hurt you, if so I'm sorry. But the point is that it is very easy for someone to say something. But difficult to do it. I also have couple of relation abroad who always gives advices saying what we should do, our duties to our mother country, but the point is they forgot that they are not doing at least what we are doing. They learn form the public money, migrated to another country and keep on bluffing. Just like politicians, just talking and but do nothing.

So mate if you are so patriotic then first come and start working in SL. :angry-smiley-048:

On a different note I think our bus service is more efficient than that of developed countries. I was riding the bus in New York City sometime back and my patience ran out. Every stop they kneel the bus down, wait till everyone puts coin by coin into the ticketing machine, make the bus kneel up, close the door.... at least a good 10 minutes at every stop!! F**** unbelievable. in SL people get in while the bus is moving...:-)

Edited by madmax

Something I've noticed is that a lot of Sri Lankan migrants are overly patriotic. But once they land in Sri Lanka they will not last a week and looking at going back as soon as possible. If you're so fond of you motherland why not you come and live here and serve the people of this country? Try living the rough life here everyday rather than doing it on your vacation?

Parak you just sound like one of those plucky foreigners/expats we meet everyday. they want villagers to do paddy cultivation the coastal population to fish and kandians to rule the country. the kind of people who expect parents to drop their sarong clad children off to school in a buggy cart. i'm sorry but we are fed up. we dont want anymore people like you to tell how the country should be changed. its not like we are a frogs in a well who are only aware of whats going on in there. we know what our identity is and we are aware of certain habits that we have which could be alien to you guys. but its not something one man started. and its not like your initiative will make us change our ways. you may have some serious points. but i've just come across way to many expats like you. all who left the country for different reasons trying to give advice to people in a country they havent lived in for decades cos they think they know something better than the people who actually lived there. if you come to power or somethng then we might listen to you. but i can guaruntee you'll lose all your thoughts and ideas on the way up. cos thats just how it is up here.

Parak, the AL family cordially invite you to stay behind and put up with the bullshit the public transport offer!

Edited by isam

Hi all

It is so funny that some people complain about sweating when they wear ties in public transport. When U are in SriLanka please try to be a SriLankan. We have to develop everything that suits to SriLankan climate and culture. Please keep Ur tie in the office no need to wear it in the public transport. Anyway it is so funny to see some people(like sales reps etc) wearing ties and walking in middle of the hot sunny humid days. As a Sri Lankan we have to change the attitude of private and government entities towards the work dress. It is so rare to see a guy wearing a full suite in the hot summer in here. They always try to wear something professional instead of tie and the suite.

This is the time for SriLankan to change their mind set about showing off the fellow SriLankans spending unwanted money on blings.

Oh Yes, Try to drive thursty 4.7 L Jeeeps, LCurisers, Land Rovers at less than 60kmph guzzeling loads of fuel and wear ties and speak in forign language to allianate the common people.

Parak Mate, everyone here is being extremely patient with you, but do be aware that you are treading on thin ice. First of all, what gives YOU the right to tell us ANYTHING? do YOU live here? are the taxes YOU pay contributing in any way to the development of the country? No, they are not. You are sitting several thousand miles away in a cushy job paying your taxes to a foreign country, and you have the chutzpah to lecture US?

by the way, those ridiculous amounts of money we pay for cars... you should know they are mostly (i.e in some cases more than twice the value of the car) taxes, levies and duties, ALL of which goes to THE GOVERNMENT, to fund various worthy (and not so worthy) schemes and programs.

If somebody here spends two, five or even ten million rupees on a car, it's bloody well because in most cases (our wonderful governing folks and their catchers excluded) they've worked their asses off for years to be able to afford it, and guess what? they DESERVE it!!

so KINDLY, get off that damn high horse of yours, wake up and smell the diesel fumes!! Or even better, come and live a year in Sri Lanka, get a house in somewhere around maharagama, a job in fort, take the bus to work everyday, following your own advice and THEN tell us what you think!

in the current context my dear fellow, you're only coming across as somebody blindly idealistic, and wholly ignorant as well!

Personally, I resent that. I speak mostly in English coz thats what I'm most comfortable with, not because I am "trying" to be something I'm not. And I bet you Sri Lankans English is of a better standard than half the Aussie buggers you kiss ass to every day. You can try your unqualified psycho-analysis if you want, bottom line, I speak in English coz thats what is comfortable to me and I don't need any broken-English-speaking wanna-be-suddha-bugger judging me and saying I'm trying to show that I am a super class, thanks!

Also, about the ties, that is a little gift the colonial masters left when they went away, but when protocol dictates it, you have to do it. Besides, wearing tie generally means wearing a long sleeved shirt, and you can't take that off in the bus. Not to mention, you don't know if you will have the luxury of a mirror at your destination to put the tie on.

Like someone said, school uniform in shirt and trousers. You can't wear an amudey to school and say "This is my heritage".

Edited by Pericles

Between this and that thread about how cars help you score punani or how some guys bang their own cars, I'm wishing there was some genuine automotive-related content on AL once in a while.

:)

I kid, of course, but you have to ask if this is the appropriate forum to discuss matters regarding patriotism and such.

Sure, But why spend massive amount money compare to the income just on a car. I heard that Toyota Yaris costs 17-19 laks on permit. But the permit holders yearly income roughly aruond 12 laks a year(guessing a professional earn 1lak a year). Why spend that much forigen exchange on cars. looks bit silly.

Anyone getting 120k a year on a govt salary is definitely doing summing corrupt. That would look a bit silly all right.

What is this, some kinda communist idea? Common people? Hey, we have jobs that deal with foreign people that brings in foreign currency to the country. I don't think they'd like it if we said, "Poddak inna mahathaya, api ey wadey karana puluwanda balanang". You see, we are something that is called "bi-lingual". We can deal with people in either language. If someone noted your doctor struggling with the local language and kindly spoke to her in a language she seemed more comfortable with, thats because we CAN speak in either as the occasion calls for.

Wouldn't kill you to sell the Vitara buy some diaspora bonds and rough it out over there either. How about it?

There are a lot of changes that need taking places in govt entities that take priority over dress. Like attitude towards work. As anyone who has been to the RMV will tell you.

BTW, I would be fascinated to find out what is considered professional besides ties and suits. Personally, I only wear full suits to weddings, and thats only if the hall is A/C. And "full suit" in my book doesn't include a waistcoat.

Also, I could say to you, when you are not in Sri Lanka, don't try to be a Sri Lankan.

Between this and that thread about how cars help you score punani or how some guys bang their own cars, I'm wishing there was some genuine automotive-related content on AL once in a while.

I kid, of course, but you have to ask if this is the appropriate forum to discuss matters regarding patriotism and such.

I dunno about the punani thread, but i guess this one keeps going because this bloke Harak.....Sorry, my bad, Parak, keeps banging on from his soap box without the slightest idea of how things work here. Ah well, glad to see there are still people around to paint targets on themselves.

Fair point.

Tho that thing on banging cars was automotive related. A somewhat bizarre use for automobiles, but still ....

Edited by Pericles

Hi all

The price of war is paid by us common people in the form of TAXES, which may well include vehicle taxes as well.

Eh, mate there is something called 'work attire' which you need to obey. Some SL companies include the long sleeves and tie for this. And the employees have no choice of selection. Gee... don't you know that?

Damn right, lets start from the government and the cabinet. coz we haven't got bling!

He He... you sound like Wimal Weerawansa some time ago... :D Ok then, shall we start off with the vehicles and squad cars of the politicos :D

Ever wonder why do sri lankans opt for a jeep over a car? maybe you would get some idea if you try to drive a car at 30kmph on Union place or some major road in Colombo. Try counting the number of pot-holes on the Colombo roads, er... while you are at it you can classify them as deadly, injury, minor accident and mild jolt. Most of the vehicle spare parts are imported, and hence more foreign exchange is lost, on top of the injuries and deaths caused due to bad road conditions. How about stopping these by repairing and maintaining the roads properly?

All in all, its the common people who suffer and pay, who gives a damn about the country.

Edited by isam

Yes I am a proud SriLankan. I spent nearly six weeks of holiday in Kandy area. I always took the bus to go to the city (where I stayed is rural and nice 16 km to the city). No hassal of finding a parking space. Eventhough bit overloaded it is ok to stand up insice the bus for nearly 45 min to go to city. It took nearly 35 min on the car to go to the city manuvouring around the pot holes(no complains about that). It is very very cheap to use the bus 10 Rs return. For a diesel car cost all up would be around 100Rs(including wear and tear).

hah hah can see that you are proud, if you move down here and live and use public transport daily, we'd be proud of you :P

Hi all

Thanks for the important contribution to this topic. Some people were so angry and start calling me names and challanging me to come back to SL and use public transport to work. Some guys can not give up the tie even it is around 36 Celcius (have a look at the world leaders giving media interviews in a casual) . It is strange that some people very comfortable with english rather than other main spoken languges in SL. That s Ok. Some people working for companies that still think they are controlled by British empire.

Any way there is a news that train services going to give the internet facilities in the trains to promote more passengers in the trains(I think trains are chocablock full now). Limiting private vehcle entering to the city going to be substituded by special bus services. With the econmic down turn, there want me much money circulating would lead to drop of vehicle prices( it was mentioned some where in this forum). People would think twicel where to spend their money.

Sooner or later most of U guys going to catch the public transport.

Good luck