• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Srilankan Paying So Much Money On Cars?

Parak

Question

Hi all

Albeit the prices of vehicles in Sri Lanka is high compare to the income of a avarage person, why people willing to spend so much money on automobiles. As I realised public transport in SriLanka is so effective as such any body can travel to most of the destinations so cheap even though it is slow and little uncomfortable.

Average person in other countries do a analysis before they buying a automobile (no arguments for the behaviour of Petrol heads, Automoblie enthusiasts). Keeping cost of a vehicle vs using a alternative transport such as Taxi and public transport. It is good to see that sort of trend developing in Sri Lanka as an example some people use dedicated three wheelers for some of their un routine trips.

I have seen professionals working in develolped countries who earning above avarage tend to use small fuel efficient vehicals for day to day traveling. Some people travel to the nearest railway or bus station on a bike or a car and rest of the traveling is done through the public transport.

In other countries use of a vehicle is highly diverse and choose the vehicle according to the requirement. Such as for farms, traveling in remote rough tracks, receational use, trade vehicles, requirement of pulling trailers etc.

Like I saw recently 2005 Land Curiser turbo diesel for 300000(in Rs) for sale in Australia. If it is in Sri Lanka people would jump to buy it rather than thinking of its intending use. I have seen in this forum that people talking about some vehicles those are expensive and very hard to maintain in Sri Lanka

I think it is better to develop the public transport and related facilities while developing policies to hinder the use of private automobiles in rush hours, in main cities etc.

Dedicated bus lanes, buses only roads would be things to go

• Answers 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all

Albeit the prices of vehicles in Sri Lanka is high compare to the income of a avarage person, why people willing to spend so much money on automobiles. As I realised public transport in SriLanka is so effective as such any body can travel to most of the destinations so cheap even though it is slow and little uncomfortable.

Average person in other countries do a analysis before they buying a automobile (no arguments for the behaviour of Petrol heads, Automoblie enthusiasts). Keeping cost of a vehicle vs using a alternative transport such as Taxi and public transport. It is good to see that sort of trend developing in Sri Lanka as an example some people use dedicated three wheelers for some of their un routine trips.

I have seen professionals working in develolped countries who earning above avarage tend to use small fuel efficient vehicals for day to day traveling. Some people travel to the nearest railway or bus station on a bike or a car and rest of the traveling is done through the public transport.

In other countries use of a vehicle is highly diverse and choose the vehicle according to the requirement. Such as for farms, traveling in remote rough tracks, receational use, trade vehicles, requirement of pulling trailers etc.

Like I saw recently 2005 Land Curiser turbo diesel for 300000(in Rs) for sale in Australia. If it is in Sri Lanka people would jump to buy it rather than thinking of its intending use. I have seen in this forum that people talking about some vehicles those are expensive and very hard to maintain in Sri Lanka

I think it is better to develop the public transport and related facilities while developing policies to hinder the use of private automobiles in rush hours, in main cities etc.

Dedicated bus lanes, buses only roads would be things to go

Some wishful thinking Parak…. I also sometimes wake up in the morning with sweet dreams like that.

Some stupid politico recently stated that people should car pool to their work places. I’m waiting for it to happen so I can car pool with my neighbor minister to work since he’s traveling the same way to his ministry in mornings.

Iam also willing to travel by Train or bus,

There I'll get more time to improve my knowledge by reading or thinking, (I can read even standig in a middle of a crowd)

My concern is the bomb threat, other wise I would happily use public transport.

But in genaral folowing are the concerns of others,

1. Crowded public transport

2. Rude behaviour of conductors

3. Inconvenient behaviour of some passengers

4. Difficulty to keep clean suit and shoe shine

5. Bomb threat

In our country roads are not that well, So it is not easy to maintain a good car.

Most practical is old 4WD.

Roads, transport and social peace should be improved for a better life

i'll tell you why. its cos using public transportation is such a pain.

i dont have a car here so i have no choice but to use busses trains etc etc. i wake up on a morning when i have to take the train to say essex, and all i want to do is creep under the duet and sleep it off. its such a mission. push your bag to the bus stop, take it to the station. drag it up and down stairs and ramps, get in the train, then get off, take some more stairs, take an underground train across london which is always crowded and you have to be unbelievably impolite to get on and off at the right stops. then when you finally get to the other side you get on another train where might have to travel standing up cos all the seats are taken. and thats £35 and 2 and a bit hours for all that trouble.

now if i made that journey in a car i wouldnt have lost my enthusiasm just thinking about the journey. you put your bags in the boot and drive off. 1.30 hours and you are there. and the journey will cost you only £20. plus you could take some of your mates with you for a little more.

dont for a moment think this only happens to me here. if im taking a car i'd eagerly get up. look as outlandish as i like. get in the car and drive off. when there's no cars at home i have to take a bus to colombo. you may argue why not take a trishaw? i'll save that 700 rupees and use it on 2 car trips to colombo thanks very much. back to the bus. wll first of all you might want to blend in. to avoid the unwanted attention. not to mention wear some light clothes. and keep you valuables in a safe place. the walk from my house to the bus stop is quite ok if its not sunny. if not you start sweating, then a bus comes creeping along. ok you do travel for fraction of the cost of taking a car. but if its not air conditioned there's more sweating. and then some more, and more.

if i take a car i'm happy cos its so convenient. well there will be traffic jams on the way but even if you take a bus you'll still get caught rite? as for trains we all know our train network isnt exactly the best in the world rite? on my way home from colombo i see only 1 train station almost next to the main road. the closest station from my house is 6 miles away.

why people still use it? ok, first of all in uk the train network is awesome. its not as large is at used to be once. but it still covers nearly all towns. including tiny villages sometimes. why they use it? you may say its worth taking the train cos cities are congested. well thats one reason. but why they've all switched to trains so suddenly is because of the congestion charge. you have to pay £8 to take your car to central london on a weekday. the train will cost u only £14 depending on the time. buses? they too will get caught in traffic jams and are useful only for short jounreys.

what about in sl? well i dont like it, my sisters doesnt like it, my mom hates it. my dad on the other hand is a bit eccentric. every now and then when i nick his wheels while he's at work, he takes a bus home. and strangely he likes it. when i ask him why he says, u get in the bus, sit down. get a ticket. and they take you home and you havent got anything to do but check out the scenary or dose off. 2 things which he cant do when he's driving. so one day i asked him if you like it so much why are you not doing it everyday? he said its because you never get the same security you do when you are driving your own car. your car is always there, wherever you are going. they hardly ever break down. and you trust your driving. on the sideline you can drop your washing machine off at the menders on your way to work, or maybe give your friend a lift home. i think he's absolutely right.

if you wonder why i dont have a car here its because i'm still 21 and whatever i buy the insuarance is going to over £1500 a year even here in ultra safe guildford. it sucks doesnt it? well it sucks even more cos thats £1500 for a mini which costs around £4500. and its £3000 a year for a £7k cooper S. so maybe thats one reason why we all dont have cars over here. but since we dont have the same problem in sl i think we should make full use of it :D

CUZ SRI LANKAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS UTTER S**T.

NO POINT OF TRYING TO CORRECT PPL AND THE COUNTRY.

HAVE TO WORK HARD AND EARN ENOUGH MONEY SO THAT YOU CAN LIVE A GOOD LIFE WITHOUT BEING A PAIN TO OTHER

PEOPLE.

IF PEOPLE HAVE MONEY THEY WILL BUY CARS.IF THEY DONT THEY WILL GO IN THE BUS.

AND THE TUK TUK DRIVERS TRY TO RIP OFF PEOPLE.

I THINK FOR A PERSON WHO HAS MONEY TO GO IN A TUK TUK CAN EASYLY LEASE A CAR AND DRIVE IT TO WORK ( IM

TALKING IN SRI LANKA).AFTERALL CAR WILL BE WITH YOU AFTER FEW YEARS.

WHY SHOUL WE SPEND MONEY ON A GUY WHO DRIVES A TUK TUK WHO TRYS TO RIP US OFF??? :angry-smiley-024:

AND NO POINT OF COMPAIRING SRI LANKA WITH OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY CUZ IT'LL TAKE ATLEAST ANOTHER 25

YEARS FOR SRI LANKA TO GO THERE.

Jadey - there's a difference between public transport in SL and UK, believe me! Over there it's a minor inconvenience, here it's an intimate experience

tharindu6 - try not to write in CAPS..

thats exactly my point! even if it wasnt for the aformentioned inconveniences, you wont be looking forward to that journey.

Jadey - there's a difference between public transport in SL and UK, believe me! Over there it's a minor inconvenience, here it's an intimate experience

tharindu6 - try not to write in CAPS..

I second that - Given the chance a typical bus commuter in SL gets a chance to go in a UK bus he'll tell u that it's like going in a limo

Parak, bro haven't you traveled in the public transport ever? :huh: Its not timely, its uncomfortable, and the conductors are rude and so much profit driven they try to pack a ship load of people into a small bus. :angry-smiley-030:

If the public transport were good I'd opt to travel in them rather than driving to work simply because there would be no parking or driving hazzle. Believe me bro, no Sri Lankan would opt to drive in the morning traffic, but thanks to the service level of our public transport everybody is trying their level best to arrange personal transportation.

If you've ever been to a developed country, you would notice that almost everyone takes the public transport. Japan, the largest automaker transports almost all of its workforce by train. Their service is so efficient people simply opt for public transport.

If the government is truly willing to resolve the traffic problem they should not be forcing people, rather, they MUST take steps to improve the quality of the public transport. :violent-smiley-100:

privatise the train network!!! the government cant run it for sh*t

Amen on that!

Governments are no good when it comes to management of transportation :angry-smiley-048: But they should intervene in regulating them

Edited by isam

If you've ever been to a developed country, you would notice that almost everyone takes the public transport. Japan, the largest automaker transports almost all of its workforce by train. Their service is so efficient people simply opt for public transport.

on people paying ridicules money on automobiles, well they have no option but to. costs are simply too high. it is neither importers or the buyers fault.that’s how the system works over here. As they say ‘when in rome do what the romans do’. i think sri lankan buyer are very practical. they don't throw money just because they have some. a good example is the low demand for flashy yet troublesome european brands and makes.

about sri lankans buying unpractical cars, well the vehicles that fall under the unpractical category (according to your definition of course) are ridiculously expensive. if the owners of these cars were in a different country they would have bought more practical flashier cars. sadly the so called practical cars cost so much more than the unpractical ones so even though you got bucket loads of cash you have no option but to buy the later one. plus your argument is like saying richard branson or donald trump should be driving a toyota prius or a mini. If you can afford it why not buy something nice.

i hope you are enlightened now that you know the facts. i would love to hear what you got to say. may be we all are missing the point....

oh just to send some more chills down your spin the 300k land cruiser you have mentioned earlier cost about 17mil over here in the unreg form.

Parak the people have a right to travel any way they like.

The cost of the vehical is the owners problem.

unlike you we have travelled to several so called developed countries.

why dont you stick to selling HP stuff in like you use to do.

Sure, But why spend massive amount money compare to the income just on a car. I heard that Toyota Yaris costs 17-19 laks on permit. But the permit holders yearly income roughly aruond 12 laks a year(guessing a professional earn 1lak a year). Why spend that much forigen exchange on cars. looks bit silly.

What is HP stuff

Parak the people have a right to travel any way they like.

The cost of the vehical is the owners problem.

unlike you we have travelled to several so called developed countries.

why dont you stick to selling HP stuff in like you use to do.

Sure, But why spend massive amount money compare to the income just on a car. I heard that Toyota Yaris costs 17-19 laks on permit. But the permit holders yearly income roughly aruond 12 laks a year(guessing a professional earn 1lak a year). Why spend that much forigen exchange on cars. looks bit silly.

What is HP stuff

@ Parak, just curious, nothing personal, I guess you are a Sri Lankan, what mode do you prefer in SL? Public or pesonal transport? :D

Yes I am a proud SriLankan. I spent nearly six weeks of holiday in Kandy area. I always took the bus to go to the city (where I stayed is rural and nice 16 km to the city). No hassal of finding a parking space. Eventhough bit overloaded it is ok to stand up insice the bus for nearly 45 min to go to city. It took nearly 35 min on the car to go to the city manuvouring around the pot holes(no complains about that). It is very very cheap to use the bus 10 Rs return. For a diesel car cost all up would be around 100Rs(including wear and tear).

Yes I am a proud SriLankan. I spent nearly six weeks of holiday in Kandy area. I always took the bus to go to the city (where I stayed is rural and nice 16 km to the city). No hassal of finding a parking space. Eventhough bit overloaded it is ok to stand up insice the bus for nearly 45 min to go to city. It took nearly 35 min on the car to go to the city manuvouring around the pot holes(no complains about that). It is very very cheap to use the bus 10 Rs return. For a diesel car cost all up would be around 100Rs(including wear and tear).

mate you staying here on your holiday for 6 weeks and taking a few bus rides for the "experience" doesn't really give you the correct view of things now does it?

say when we too travel abroad, we too love to break the habit and do something different just for the heck of it... doesn't mean we want to or can do it all the time...

like i've taken those bike taxies in bangkok during peak traffic times...it was cheap, fast...got the job done far better than a car taxi could...

would i use it all the time???

If you travel to work on a daily basis with some your belongings like a comp etc.. in public transport...not get your clothes dirty...not get late cos the damn bus bugger is only interested in loading up folks...

you do that for 6 weeks and i will buy your argument :)

I think it's unfair to judge local car users like this without you yourself taking the bus to work in SL on a daily basis don't you think